How much hp?, etc.

/ How much hp?, etc. #1  

woodlandgiant

Hi, I have about 20 acres of land with 2 acres open. In time I want to turn the land into a mini-farm with goats and pigs. Right now we just have chickens. I need a tractor and a farmi winch to harvest about 8 cords a year for our house and for my mother-in-law who lives right next door. I want to also use a tractor for plowing our driveway and my mother-in-law's. I am looking at getting a TLB and would like to understand the following:
1. Can I dig with the loader, as in scrape up sod for a garden?
2. At what minimum hp does the backhoe become a lot more useful than a shovel?
3. I am a big guy - 6' 7" at about 280 lbs. Do I need to pay attention to the size of a tractor?
4. I like the Kubota L3400, but I do not know if I need 35hp, or whether I can afford the $ for the TLB combo.
5. At what point is the number of hours an issue with purchasing a used tractor? 2000 hrs? 1000 hrs?
6. Is there a difference with the price of parts between major brands?
7. I don't have a trailer. To buy a tractor that is being sold a ways away, is it customary to go look at the tractor first before buying?

Thanks very much for all your help!

/ How much hp?, etc. #3  
Hi, I have about 20 acres of land with 2 acres open. In time I want to turn the land into a mini-farm with goats and pigs. Right now we just have chickens. I need a tractor and a farmi winch to harvest about 8 cords a year for our house and for my mother-in-law who lives right next door. I want to also use a tractor for plowing our driveway and my mother-in-law's. I am looking at getting a TLB and would like to understand the following:
3. I am a big guy - 6' 7" at about 280 lbs. Do I need to pay attention to the size of a tractor?
4. I like the Kubota L3400, but I do not know if I need 35hp, or whether I can afford the $ for the TLB combo.
5. At what point is the number of hours an issue with purchasing a used tractor? 2000 hrs? 1000 hrs?
7. I don't have a trailer. To buy a tractor that is being sold a ways away, is it customary to go look at the tractor first before buying?

always...always go look at a tractor. there are alot of fake tractor ads out there. dont ever send a deposit to hold tractor or send a money order or bank draft. some people are trying to sell a 25,000 dollar tractor for $2,800. especially on craigslist.

someone has been trying to sell a 2008 Kubota with trailer here on tractorbynet that doesnt exist.

if they tell you that the tractor is being held somewheres to be shipped after payment is received....RUN. its a fraud

that being said,

at 6'7" and 280 you really want to stay away from too small of a tractor. i personally went to John Deere, Kubota, TYM and Kioti dealership and test drove about 8 different models, and i had the wife test drive 2 of my final choices.

1. loader will dig and scrape just fine. i do it all the time.

2. i personally don't like tractor mounted backhoes because i use mini and full excavators when i dig trenches. that being said, alot of people here LOVE their backhoes. if you think you'll use them alot, it might be a good investment. One for my Kioti 45 HP tractor would have run about $7,000. I can rent an excavator for $150/day so i didn't think it a wise purchase. If you think you'd use your alot, go for it. i wouldn't want less than 30 HP behind a hoe.

4. I test drove the Kubota grand 34 series with cab. nice tractor. good horsepower size.

5. I have a 1400 hour used John Deere 870 that runs real strong and is in great running order. it all depends on service record of tractor. i keep a record of all oil changes, transmission flush, etc. ask if they do too.
Alot of rental equipment is sold at 1500 - 2000 hrs, and is usually maintained nicely. ive rented alot of high hour equip and its always worked fine.

6. YES. parts for my JD870 are pretty spendy. ive been able to find the same filters at napa for alot less. same for automobiles if you think about it. Kubota and JD are the most expensive compact tractors out there, so their parts will be more.

7. hopefully the person your buying from has a trailer....have them incl delivery. thats what im offering with mine (reasonable distance only). There are companies that haul also. but GO SEE ANS TEST DRIVE BEFORE YOU PAY 1¢.

Last edited:
   / How much hp?, etc. #4  
HiYa Dig with front bucket or backhoe ? backhoe on a 20A you will probley only use it once (to lay power or water lines) and never use it again it will sit in the shed until the end of time...Go side on to trench and use the bucket.

2. Size 28hp is good for a large guy you become the center of balance then you have to ask yourself what is the largest lift or pull you will ever do (28hp will pull a tonne and a good bucket should lift 3/4T...

3. Hours look at the unit and the seller If one is rusty and the other doggey
and he may never had serviced it hmmmm look at diff seals good indocation its been worked hard .But hay dont spend too much on any equipment....

/ How much hp?, etc. #5  
Welcome to TBN!!! For the hp I would be looking at about 30hp-40hp...I'm sure you will find a lot of uses for a backhoe. I would look at the tractor before you buy. Like others said, there are a lot of scams out there...:thumbsup:

/ How much hp?, etc. #6  
NEVER, NEVER use the Front End Loader as a bull dozer, you will bend something, most likely the hydraulic cylinder rods.

/ How much hp?, etc.
Transit, so you can use the front end loader to plow snow and move it but not to dig dirt and sod with it? My neighbor has a ton of harrowers and these claw-type cultivators that I'd use to dig up the ground with first.
Thanks for the caution. I will take heed.

/ How much hp?, etc. #8  
NEVER, NEVER use the Front End Loader as a bull dozer, you will bend something, most likely the hydraulic cylinder rods.

hmmm, ive been digging hole with my JD for 14 years......guess it depends on the soil conditions.

/ How much hp?, etc. #9  

Guys, I am assuming what he is trying to say is dont roll the bucket all the way forward so the bucket bottom is 90 degrees to the ground and then push forward, it can tweak all kinds of stuff. Back dragging in that position is ok, as is using the bucket to excavate. I have a tooth bar on mine and dig all the time.