Comparison Need to Buy a Sprayer

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
Hi,

I haven't owned a sprayer before but I am in a situation now where I'm going to need one. I have about three acres that I need to spray for sand burrs (and other weeds). I found these two sprayers which I thought might fit the bill and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, good or bad, and which one people feel is the better quality of the two. I realize these are "economy" sprayers and not to expect too much but any input you can give would be appreciated.

Tractor Supply CountyLine Deluxe Trailer Sprayer, 25 gal. Capacity - 2130356 | Tractor Supply Company

Orscheln Fimco 30 Gal Trailer Sprayer

I have two seperate fields, one is five acres, the other six acres. Would a 25-30 gallong sprayer be about the right size for my acreage?

I don't really want to spend $300 dollars for a "economy" sprayer (no luck finding anything used), so if anyone has any "alernative" ideas that might save me some money that would be great. It would be fantastic if I could do it for less than a $150.

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #2  
My local coop lets us use their sprayer at no charge if we buy the chemical from them ... look around there may be some in your area.

We did that all the time before we bought ours ... only reason we bought was sometimes when we needed it ... well another rancher had it.

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #3  
I have one that is almost exactly like the county line from TSC - got mine from Princess Auto, for about the same price. It works excellent, just be sure to rinse all the lines well in a spot where you dont want anything to grow. You can extend the boom and add a couple of nozzles to increase your spray area. I spray about 3 acres, and the 25 gallons seems to be enough. Its not like it will take that long to do up another tank mix to finish though...

I priced it out, and if you can source your own tank (like a 55 galon poly drum), you can build a larger sprayer than 25 gallons for less. BUT - its a lot of mucking around, and you have to find an inexpensive pump too!

I felt I could just modify my little sprayer when I wanted more capacity with a larger tank and longer boom, if I feel its necessary. Until then, no muss, no fuss.

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #4  
i have a femco 50 gal on my tractor. have used it for 5 years now...never been any problem (hint: i learned to remove the filter bowl for winter storage, or the plastic splits...dont ask me how i learned that)

great piece of equipment

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #5  
SouthernX,
Did you get a sprayer yet? The TSC in Shawnee, OK has that sprayer currently priced at $229 and I plan to pick one up this weekend. I also have sandbur very bad on 5 acres. Have you controlled sandbur before? What are your plans for dealing with it?

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #6  
Does it need to have its own wheels? I bought my 25 gallon sprayer off of Ebay for $130 a couple years ago. I can either put it in the back of the UTV or on the tractor carry all. I bought a boomless nozzle for it and spray pastures and hayfields with it regularly.

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #7  
I think you will want at least a 40 gallon sprayer. I have my pesticide license and nothing I spray will cover 5 acres with only a 25 gallon tank, figure most mixes require 1 gallon of mix per 1000 sq. ft. that's 44 gallons per acre. you can adjust your mix, ground speed, pressure, etc. for some chemicals, but some require a minimum of 20 gallons water (carrier) per acre

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #8  
44 gpa is a bit much. 20 gallons per acre will give you good coverage for most stuff.

I found a used 3pt 60g fimco with a 10' boom for $300, with a roller pump:thumbsup:.

New ones are only $500, but the pump is another $100-400, and you get what you pay for.

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer
Hi All,

Thanks for your input. I ended up getting the 25 gallon sprayer from TSC for $229. I really couldn't afford anything bigger at this time. I'll probably try it out in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

I do have a couple of other questions though...

1) I need to apply some broadleaf weed killer and also some fertilizer. Which should I apply first or can they be applied at the same time?

2) As I mentioned in another post I have about 3 acres to treat. I've priced both weed killer and fertilizer at TSC, Orscheln's, Lowes, Home Depot... The weed killer is expensive enough but the liquid fertilizer is off the chart. Does anyone have any ideas on how to liquid fertilize my acreage without going broke (literally!).

/ Need to Buy a Sprayer #10  
Hi All,

Thanks for your input. I ended up getting the 25 gallon sprayer from TSC for $229. I really couldn't afford anything bigger at this time. I'll probably try it out in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

I do have a couple of other questions though...

1) I need to apply some broadleaf weed killer and also some fertilizer. Which should I apply first or can they be applied at the same time?

2) As I mentioned in another post I have about 3 acres to treat. I've priced both weed killer and fertilizer at TSC, Orscheln's, Lowes, Home Depot... The weed killer is expensive enough but the liquid fertilizer is off the chart. Does anyone have any ideas on how to liquid fertilize my acreage without going broke (literally!).

the last quote i got for fertlizer for the 10 acre horse pasture....$2500.00.

Needless to say it never happened. This was 2 years ago. prices have increased since then