Quietest 30hp Tractor

/ Quietest 30hp Tractor #11  
If the ear plugs aren't working for you, I'm guessing you're not putting them in properly. I've seen people stick them in their ears without rolling them first. They won't work unless they're inserted well into the ear canal. Only the very end should be sticking out.

Roll them between your fingers to reduce the diameter then put them INTO the ear canal as far as comfortable. They'll then expand, fill the canal and greatly moderate the sound. Walmart carrys flesh colored ones in the pharmacy area that I believe provide a 29dB attenuation.

That's as good or better than most ear muffs. Using plugs and muffs together doesn't combine to reduce the sound level. The sound attenuation will only be as great as the highest attentuation rating of the devices taken separately. Personally, I haven't found ear muffs to be as effective as properly worn ear plugs.

The issue of which tractor is quietest is moot if only you the operator are concerned and you properly wear ear plugs. I use the same ear plugs when running my Ford 5600 (no muffler) or using a jackhammer. The ear plugs work great. I'm always surprised at how loud normal sounds seem when I remove the ear plugs after I'm finished.

If you install the earplugs properly you'll find loud noises aren't no matter how sensitive you think your ears are.

/ Quietest 30hp Tractor #12  
i think DARREN: post says it pretty well, propper fitting ear protection is most important. have u tried operating the machines u are thinking of buying? differnt folks hear different pitches, differently, what sounds loud to me, might not be loud to u ie. a low pitch sound @ a certin dec. might not bother you, but the same dec. at a higher pitch might. does that make sense?

/ Quietest 30hp Tractor #13  
Instead of the expense of a new tractor why don't you try these http://www.elvex.com/com-muffs.htm.We use these everyday at work the noise cancling ones that is we also have the Bose hearing protection as well. A lot cheaper then a new tractor!

/ Quietest 30hp Tractor #14  
For hearing protection I wear earmuffs. The ones I use are AOSafety Peltor 90545 WorkTunes. They have a built in AM/FM radio tuner and a volume control limit of 82 decibels. They work well using my small tractor or my chainsaws or any other tool that makes noise. I can keep up on the news & tunes while I work. They are available at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amazon.com>http://www.amazon.com</A> on sell for $59.99 with free shipping. They may not be for everybody but I sure like them. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Just do a search on Amazon for <font color=blue>Peltor 90545 WorkTunes</font color=blue>.

/ Quietest 30hp Tractor #15  
I wish I had access to the article that one of the gun magazines printed several years ago.

They conducted a scientific study using many types of earplugs and earmuffs. Properly fitted earmuffs always provided better protection that properly fitted earplugs. As I recall it had something to do with the coverage of the earmuffs lowering bone transmitted noise that the earplugs are not capable of blocking.

I have tried both for shooting and prefer the muffs so I use the muffs on my tractor.

Dave

/ Quietest 30hp Tractor #16  
I agree, Go and buy some quality shooting ear muffs and use those.