Is this a scam? I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
The truth is-tractors are inexpensive, attachments are expensive. You can buy a decent new tractor by itself for 5-10 thousand dollars. They will get you on the attachements :( Why does a mmm deck cost almost half that of the alone??? Why does a 48" box blade cost 600 plus dollars? Why does the cab for said tractor cost almost as much as the tractor itself?

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #2  
A decent new tractor for 5-10 thousand bucks? Good luck!!

As far as implement prices...this is a fairly low volume (in the scheme of things) market. There's tooling costs to amortize. In a high volume market, those costs can be spread out over the volume and might be pennies per unit. Low volume...you do the math.
Also, steel prices have gone up...in an implement like a box blade, there's a lot of steel. And look at the life of such an implement...might be in decades rather then a few years.

So, the truth is...you need to know more about manufacturing, marketing and such.

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #3  
I figure that is why people come to this site to learn how to make there own attachments.

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #4  
The truth is-tractors are inexpensive, attachments are expensive. You can buy a decent new tractor by itself for 5-10 thousand dollars. They will get you on the attachements :( Why does a mmm deck cost almost half that of the alone??? Why does a 48" box blade cost 600 plus dollars? Why does the cab for said tractor cost almost as much as the tractor itself?

It's like: Razors are cheap, the blades are the expensive part!

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #5  
I figure that is why people come to this site to learn how to make there own attachments.

Agree with that.:thumbsup: I'm building my own box blade and when done that I am going to see if I can convert an old plow on steel wheels to a 3ph version.:D

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #6  
Why?
Because we want these things, and they (mfg'ers) are interested in making money, like a profit. :D

And take printers for an example...cheap to buy but expensive to buy the ink. :)

If you want it, you pay for it. No free lunch or giveaway program (unless on the public dole).

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #7  
LOL!.....Buy a horse!
Barn, Trailer, Truck, Hay, Pasture, Fence AND A TRACTOR WITH ATTACHMENTS.
Don't I know.

Last edited:
   / I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #8  
What IS inexpensive nowadays ? :confused:

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #9  
Talk!!!

At least it was the last time I checked....

GGB

/ I Have discovered the Cold Hard Truth About Buying Tractors #10  
Only $10,000 tractors I've seen are the Chinese ones.

I did notice that there were a few used 5' rotary cutters on the IronPlanet auction site that were going for $200 to $450. You can get cheap, used, decent attachments if you're willing to take a while to look for them, or transport them.

Everyone knows time equals money. You want it now, you'll pay the premium price for it.