Buying Advice Wheel Horse d-180

/ Wheel Horse d-180 #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I've been looking for a small tractor with a loader for some yard projects, and one of these just came on the market. I don't know what year it is. It is running, and in use. What should I look out for? PS: I posted on the Wheel Horse forum, but got no responses. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks, Brian

/ Wheel Horse d-180 #2  
Those 1970s vintage D series Wheel Horse tractors are collector items. They are heavy duty garden tractors, but a little light weight for loaders. I would check the front axle closely including the axle pivot bearing in the center.

/ Wheel Horse d-180
Thanks! It wasn't available to look at today, and it looks like I'll see it next week. If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks again, Brian

/ Wheel Horse d-180
Well for better or worse, I've joined your ranks. d - 180 delivered. It is probably a '74 or '75, and has seen a lot of use. There are no signs of abuse, but it spent years outside. Motor sounds very good. Just the tiniest puff of smoke at first start up. It is hard to get used to the steering,(no power) but everything works. Oils looked good, and loader works great, though bucket has some pits, and pinholes. The worst thing I can see is it should get 3 new tires. After my test drive, I'm looking forward to some seat time. Thanks for the help.

/ Wheel Horse d-180 #5  
Got some pictures??

/ Wheel Horse d-180
I'll work on getting pics! May be awhile. I keep it 60 miles from where I live.

/ Wheel Horse d-180 #7  
Nice find - love to see some pics. There are some good WH forums out there if you want more info or have more questions. Do a Google search on Red Square, which is a dedicated WH site. And mytractorforum has a decent WH forum also. Good luck with it.

/ Wheel Horse d-180
Here is a small pic

Attachments

• tractorjpeg.jpg
    tractorjpeg.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 683
   / Wheel Horse d-180
Not sure how big this one is...

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 7,494