Just Down Right Commical

/ Just Down Right Commical #1  

shane

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
When I was shopping for a tractor a few years ago I zeroed in on a JD 3120. Once I knew exactly what I wanted I was able to compare apples to apples with various dealers. The dealer who finally gave me the best deal was the one I wanted to do business anyway. He is in a farming community and something about that just appeals to me. Anyway, part of the deal was to include telescoping draft link arms. When they delivered the tractor it had the regular arms. I called the dealer about it and he stated he forgot that part. He promised he would get me other arms. Sure enough, about a month later UPS delivered the telescoping arms.

I've been siting on the regular ones for a couple of years. I decided to get them out of my way by selling them on Craig's List. Only problem I needed to know what they are worth. Two JD dealers told me today (as in two different locations) that the replacement ones were around $299 each and that the telescoping ones were not available for my tractor.

I bit my tongue to keep from telling them that I have a tractor out in my shop with the telescoping arms.

This seems comical to me. Does this sound right to anyone else?

/ Just Down Right Commical #2  
Sounds like you are selling the Deere dealers arms, that don't belong to you.

Why not take them back to their owner? :confused3:

/ Just Down Right Commical #3  
Might be because the 3120 is no longer produced.

/ Just Down Right Commical #4  
My guess is you paid extra for the optional telescoping arms on top of the base tractor price. IMO you own a spare set of lift arms. Good luck with selling them!

/ Just Down Right Commical #5  
My Yanmar isn't supposed to have telescopic arms but i made it work. I would just sell the old ones, less than the dealer, but enough to make them worth selling.

/ Just Down Right Commical
Sounds like you are selling the Deere dealers arms, that don't belong to you.

Why not take them back to their owner? :confused3:

Really? Why didn't they ask for them back? They knew good and well I had them. It's not like I slipped them out the back door. I don't think I like what you are implying. I would never knowingly keep something that did not belong to me. That's just not how I work.

/ Just Down Right Commical #7  
You are rightful owner of these lift arms. Although you made the deal with telescopic arms, the tractor was equipped with the standard so your salesman had to order the new ones from his Parts department and add to the cost of sale. The original ones had been installed, maybe never used, but are still considered used parts and not able to resell through normal parts channel. Would have been more costly and confusing in dealers accounting than to just let you keep them.

As for not finding the telescopic arms in his parts catalog, I wonder if he thought to look in the Options and Accessories part of the catalog. Most parts pages list only the standard equipment and you have to go to O&P for optional equipment.

/ Just Down Right Commical #8  
You asked for opinions and number 2 poster gave you one.

/ Just Down Right Commical #9  
You can be sure you payed for them somewhere in the deal ...I would keep them you might break one one day !

/ Just Down Right Commical
You asked for opinions and number 2 poster gave you one.
I guess if I was more specific I would have said something like, when I purchase my tractor telescoping arms where an option but no dealers are saying that it was never an option. Does this sound right? But, even though I was not that specific, I never asked for an opinion if I was a thief or not, only if it sounded right that the telescopic arms where not an option like they used to be.