Newbie Looking for advice

/ Newbie Looking for advice #1  

Rhinorider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550, Kioti DK45 HST
Just joined this forum and I must say its looks to be the best tractor forum on the net.

I am in the market for a new tractor or a nice used unit. I have looked at New Holland, Massey, Kubota, Kioti, and Dear John's. I am looking for a forty horse give or take a little, and prefer a hydro transmission. My use will be for finish mowing about 2 1/2-3 acres, thining about 7 acres of dense woods, road maint, fence building, horse and barn work. Very little of the total 18 acres is level, alot of it is as steep as a cows face. As far as attachments go I have a long wish list but the first ones will be 72 inch finish mower, 5 or 6 ft brush hog, FEL, root grapple. and third function vavle on the FEL. Attachments that I already have is 8 foot rake, home brew log splitter that I am currently converting to a processor, back blade.

From what I have looked at so far my favorite is the New Holland 3040, followed closely buy the Massey 1643. The John deere is out ($$$), the Kubota L4400 is a nice tractor but I just didn't like the feel of the layout, it just seems awkward. The Kioti DK45 seems ok but just not that exciting to me.

Does anyone here in TBN have any thoughts ?

/ Newbie Looking for advice #2  
My preference is for the Kubota Grand L30xx/40xx, but any of those mentioned are great tractors. The "best" one is going to be the one that fits you. I crawled on and over a lot of tractors before settling on my Kubota.

I did not give much thought to the MF as we own one and our local dealer is someone I avoid due to poor service and selection. Dealer support is important to me.

Good luck.

/ Newbie Looking for advice #3  
I have a new T1530 45 hp new holland and its Great for everything I do .It might be a little Big for Grass cutting about 3 acres.I,d hate to put the hrs on it cutting grass.I would recommend 4wd and the hydro.Its been very reliable.I do most of my work running about 1500 rpm and it sips fuel

/ Newbie Looking for advice #4  
I second what Triple R said. really take time to look at the different tractors and make sure you will have good dealer support. I like Bota myself, and have a L3940; 40hp tractor and love it. Many good ones out there. The HST+ you will only get on the Grand L series though.