Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    L2800.

Default Re: first time tractor buyer looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by VTsteader View Post
    ...pier holes...tractor needs to dig holes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Digging holes will cost you...But to dig holes you'll need a backhoe...
    I think the OP was talking about post holes and a post hole digger (PHD) can be run on any size tractor.

You don't want a tractor too big in the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    It's like a shop, get bigger than you think, you wont be sorry.

Keep in mind , the bigger the tractor, the higher $$ for implements if they are based on width, so price those too.
    YUP, I tend to overbuild things so a bigger tractor would fall right in line, however like you said the bigger the tractor the more $$ and I'm not looking to go into debt.

Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    I think the OP was talking about post holes and a post hole digger (PHD) can be run on any size tractor.

You don't want a tractor too big in the woods...
    Post hole digger would be good, but was thinking of digging some holes for piers. I guess a big enough PHD would work for that.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Digging holes will cost you. Everything else is in the range of a small tractor, even a 7100 would work. But to dig holes you'll need a backhoe, that's not a cheap attachment.
    I'm not looking to dig big holes in general and maybe when I do need to dig a bigger one I would rent one. What about a backhoe on a 7100? What kind of digging could I do with that? If it just takes longer that's o.k. by me!

Thanks again!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota '2003' L3000DT 8/4 std, engine/pto hp 32.1/27.5, hyd 6.9 gal/min

VTsteader, where in southwest VT? I have a summer camp up your way and just bought a 30 hp kubota last summer for my 20 vertical acres. I've been going up there from MA all my life. I have met a ton of locals over the years that have given me invaluable advice.
    TBN is an awesome site and I have learned a lot. Local input will add to your bank of info for your decision. The bonuses are two fold, make new friends and possibly a barter system for attachments and maybe help.
    I know there are a lot of people on here that say "never a borrower nor lender be" but I have been doing it all my life with fellow builders for expensive tools/equipment that are seldom used.

Neal
    Last edited by nealfris; 03-28-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: type o
    Kubota L3000DT with loader and Woods 7500, 7ft york rake, 5ft bush hog, 5ft tiller,

Hey Neal,

We are in Sandgate now and lived in Arlington before about 4 years ago. I am originally from Weymouth, MA and have been up here for 9 years now. Whereabouts are you in Arlington?

I'm just starting to look around and have talked to a couple of people and waiting to see more out on their tractors to talk to them and get their opinions. Snows melting quick up here!

Rob

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota '2003' L3000DT 8/4 std, engine/pto hp 32.1/27.5, hyd 6.9 gal/min

Rob, good to hear about snow melt, I'm getting the motor home ready for travel.
    How small the world really is!!! I've lived in Marshfield my whole life. Graduated Weymouth Voc/ North high class of '76'
    My parents used to throw us in the station wagon in the middle of the night (no seatbelts, haha) and we would wake up in Sandgate. We had friends with a log cabin up the South West Corner Rd in Sandgate.
    We now have land on spruce mt. right above Benidict Crossing and on the south side of River Rd. We look accross at Red Mt. and Sandgate. Where in Arlington did you live?
    One of my best friends is Fred Pickering. He ownes Pickering Landscape and Greenhouses and has a 40 acre farm in the flood plain at Benidict Crossing. He is a wealth of information.
    Were you talking about going to Salem Farm Supply? They are great, all the farmers up there go to them. I have a like new Kuhns rototiller over there on consignment.
    We should meet up for a coffee at the Wayside this summer. The guy who used to own the store was a good friend of my fathers.
    Neal
    Kubota L3000DT with loader and Woods 7500, 7ft york rake, 5ft bush hog, 5ft tiller,

Tractor
    all makes and models

Quote Originally Posted by VTsteader View Post
    Post hole digger would be good, but was thinking of digging some holes for piers. I guess a big enough PHD would work for that.

To run an auger that is over 9" you already need more of an industrial auger power head. No $399. special for that project.

I'm not looking to dig big holes in general and maybe when I do need to dig a bigger one I would rent one. What about a backhoe on a 7100? What kind of digging could I do with that? If it just takes longer that's o.k. by me!

Thanks again!
    New backhoes right now retail about 1,000 dollars for how deep they go as a ballpark. I'm thinking the 7100 is to small for you as about 6.5 foot depth might be max and yu should have a full frame unit! Not that they would be at a minimum of 20 years old and still carry a history of being reliable at that age thats kubota, but I would think you might have to move up real soon!

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Look for something in the 30-45 hp (pto hp) range with 4WD, power steering, hydrostatic tranny, FEL with 6-ft wide bucket and at least 2000 lb lift capacity, ag tires, chain hooks on the FEL bucket, skid steer attachment on the FEL so you can change quickly from the bucket to the snow plow, double or triple rear hydraulic remotes, possibly one or two front hydraulic remotes, a heated cab for those VT winters. Since there are hilly sections on your property, check the maximum track width adjustment on the rear wheels (you want the largest width you can find for stability).

Neal, funny my parents used to do the same thing. We'd head up to VT early AM and go camping. We even camped at camping on the Battenkill a few times! Didn't remember that until we moved here. We used to own the house just to the north of the Cutleaf Maple Motel on 7A. Nice old house but too close to 7A for us. I'm down at the Wayside often for coffee and free pretzels for the kids, I've probably seen you there! I've been waiting to run into Fred and some of the other guys with tractors to get their advice and went over to Salem Farm Supply just yesterday, nice folks. Hope you get to come on up soon, let me know.

Flusher, thanks for the insight. Seems everyone is saying that 30hp range is what I should be looking for. The only problem is cost. I might have to start out with a smaller machine and trade up later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast