Buying Advice first time tractor buyer looking for advice

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #1  

VTsteader

Tractor
Kubota B21
Hi,

I'm new to the site and have been reading some posts with great advice for the past few days as my obsession to find and buy a tractor grows!

Here's the deal:

Just finishing building my house (while living in it = possible mistake) and wished I had bought a tractor 3 yrs ago when I started... I plan on continuing to build other structures, another obsession, and want to be able to dig some trenches, pier holes, etc. We also heat with wood so I would use the tractor to skid some small trees or pull a trailer full of split wood. We have 20 acres of mostly hillside woods, not too steep and some wet spots (possible pond sites) so 4WD is a must, I assume. We have a 500' dirt/gravel driveway with a steep 40' or so at the bottom that needs to be plowed. And to top it all off I've been doing some backyard sugarin' (5 gallons of syrup this year!) and would like to use it to move some sap around.

SO, to sum it all up, the tractor needs to dig holes, move snow, move wood and sap, be 4WD and a diesel.

I'm not sure what HP range I should be looking for. I'd like to keep it on the smaller end if possible, I don't mind taking my time because anything will be better than my **** wheelbarrow!

Here's what I've been looking at, a B7100 and a JD 750. Don't know if they're big enough or if there is something else I should be looking at?

Any and all input would be much appreciated! Thanks for letting me ramble...

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #2  
:welcome:
I'd suggest minimum of 35 hp.
Furthermore, many good brands to pick from, but getting to know a local dealer would be of primary importance due to ongoing help and any warranty work, etc. likely needed. Also, for attachments possibly rentable from this dealer.

I've 22 acres wooded and not flat. My JD 4300 (only 32hp) handles the chores I need doing.

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice
Thanks! I haven't heard good things about the local JD dealer but I might give them a chance. Otherwise there is a Kubota/Case dealer just over the border in NY that is supposed to be decent. Just over there today poking around their used section...

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #4  
:welcome:
I'd suggest minimum of 35 hp.
Furthermore, many good brands to pick from, but getting to know a local dealer would be of primary importance due to ongoing help and any warranty work, etc. likely needed. Also, for attachments possibly rentable from this dealer.

I've 22 acres wooded and not flat. My JD 4300 (only 32hp) handles the chores I need doing.

X's 2. My current one is a DK KIOTI 35 (35hp) great for my 15 acres, I have owned up to 140hp. It's like a shop, get bigger than you think, you wont be sorry. A 35-45 hp should work good for you.

Keep in mind , the bigger the tractor, the higher $$ for implements if they are based on width, so price those too.

I would add your General area you live in, like the county and state or region of said state, that will allow members around you to respond and you may have more "eye and ears" out helping you find a good deal/good dealers.

Don't get bogged down on "Color" (Brands) until you have done enough research to narrow it down.:thumbsup:

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #5  
While more HP is good, HP costs money. The more you get the more is costs. For what you're asking,

SO, to sum it all up, the tractor needs to dig holes, move snow, move wood and sap, be 4WD and a diesel.

something in the 25HP range should do nicely. As for brand, I chose Kubota based on my dealer representation in the area (we have 2 good ones) and personal preference. Look and talk around, get on 'em and drive around, talk to the dealers. See what your neighbors are using. Enjoy the shopping!!

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #6  
So then you are looking for a tractor for many purposes that would include a backhoe as well as a loader, bushhog, snow removal and to keep the driveway in shape.

I'd say you should be into a 30 to 35 horsepower tractor with a 9' backhoe.

Your snow removal choice might make a difference on the tractor as to if it would be a front snowblower or rear.

You do have quite a few options to lok at!

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #7  
I started out just like you. Got the house, fixed it up myself, burn wood. I went with a 32 hp Kubota tlb,(new) mostly because the dealer, is one of the largest on the east Coast, and I figured I would have no trouble with parts, and service. That 32 hp shuttle shift Kubota was bullet proof never had a problem with it. I think any color would offer a 30-35 hp tractor (shuttle shift) that would do what you need done. I now have a 44hp Kubota ( you will always "want" more power, but if I had to, that 32hp would still do the job. If you can though, get the quick attach for your loader, it really increases what the machine can do with all kinds of bucket attachments that are available. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics, and I urge you write a review of the machine after 60 or so hours.

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #8  
from what i read you say you have pretty hilly ground.so you need a tractor with some weight an hp.im thinking an l3700 4x4 w/fel would fitt your needs nicely.an it would do what you needed done.

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #9  
Digging holes will cost you. Everything else is in the range of a small tractor, even a 7100 would work. But to dig holes you'll need a backhoe, that's not a cheap attachment. It sounds like you don't want to invest the money on a new tractor. If your tractor broke can you fix it yourself and can you live without if for a few weeks? If so then an older tractor may fit you just fine. Best thing you can do would be to take a look at what you can find used and then come here and ask details in the brand specific forums.

/ first time tractor buyer looking for advice #10  
Ditto Crazyal.
You don't say it, but it sounds like you have no "tractor Experience". If that's the case, find a good dealer, tell him what you just told us, rent some of his used equipment, and try them on for size. Some dealers will deduct the rental fees from the unit if you buy it. Since you mention used tractors, think long and hard about what attachments you really need. You can rent a REAL backhoe many, many weekends for the $6000 price of one of the "toys" that hang off the back end of a Kub or a JD.