Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Buying Rental Tractor

Hard to improve on the advice given so far. I am always leery of buying used if I don't know the history or condition. We have bought several used tractors, but my brother use to be a tractor mechanic and inspects them prior to the purchase. He saves us a lot of money by buying a basically sound unit and then fixing any of the minor issues.

The last used tractor I bought was a one owner L5030 HSTC from my local dealer. It had been purchased there and averaged 100 hours per year with regular maintenance performed by the dealer. It had been stored under roof and run by an "older guy", about my age maybe a little younger. It had been brought in for service and the owner happened to see a new L5740 on the lot and traded as he wanted an open station.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by beppington View Post
    I'd be hard pressed to buy any used tractor, unless it was nearly flawless & could be easily proven to have only been driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady.
    Not likely.
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

I'm with LD1 on this...I wouldn't pass by a rental machine if it was in good shape.
    Now, I've bought three tractors and I think I know enough to ensure I buy a decent machine. If I was a first time buyer, I might shy away from a rental. Or, I'd take a person who was knowledgeable with me to examine the tractor.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    GC 2310

I just bought a MF GC 2310TLB tractor that was a rental. It had a busted cylinder case(3 point hitch)=$416. It sat under a shelter for over 2 years unrepaired. They had two identical machines so I guess they weren't in any hurry to fix it. Now they are closing,and trying to sell all their equipment. It is beat up some,but for $1500 and 355 hours showing I figured I'd take a chance. I replaced that part and changed all the fluids.The FEL and backhoe work great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If you can do all the work yourself,I wouldn't be scared to buy a used tractor.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054 - 1999

We have friends that are very involved with heavy equipment that are going to look at it for us.
    We will not buy it unless the price is very right - otherwise might as well buy one with a more acceptable proven history.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeHiker View Post
    We have friends that are very involved with heavy equipment that are going to look at it for us.
    We will not buy it unless the price is very right - otherwise might as well buy one with a more acceptable proven history.
    Just be prepared to walk away...don't let "tractoritis" cloud your judgement.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I'm with LD1 on this...I wouldn't pass by a rental machine if it was in good shape.
    Now, I've bought three tractors and I think I know enough to ensure I buy a decent machine. If I was a first time buyer, I might shy away from a rental. Or, I'd take a person who was knowledgeable with me to examine the tractor.
    Good advice!
    Hire a mechanic, preferably one who works on that brand even if you have to pay shop rates.
    An hour or two of shop rate compared to your investment is a mere pittance in the overall picture,
    Not only will he spot problems but being an 'expert consultant' you can then negotiate a price adjustment or have the vendor repair any problems.
    BUT, don't nickle and dime normal wear items like battery, fan belts and obvious items like seat wear and tires etc, use him for major mechanical issues like clutch, transmission compression etc.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I am with Roy on this, bring your expert friend and be prepared to walk if you can't make a good deal.

I wouldn't turn up my nose just because it was a rental.

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    For me, it would all come down to how much cheaper you could buy it for compared to other used ones.

IMO, just because it is a rental doesnt mean it is abused more than a privatally owned tractor. I know a lot of guys that abuse their OWN equipment. But at least with a rental, 9 times out of 10, you are guarenteed it was not neglected in the service department.
    Yes, exactly right, LD1. These are points I have tried to make when I
    have attempted to justify my rental tractor purchases. (I have purchased
    nine ex-rentals in the past dozen years.)

I HAVE seen used tractors for sale in really really bad shape....not even
    worth a low-ball offer. These were FSBO units listed on CraigsList. They
    were far more risky than the rental tractors I bought. I don't think any
    of my fixer units had any real big surprises. The yard I bought from was
    very open with me....not just the guy in charge of sales, but also the
    mechanics, whom I questioned at length.

It really IS about the cost, when you can't justify the cost of a new
    CUT, or even a pristine used machine. I got all my ex-rentals very cheap,
    even the ones that ran and did not need tons of work.
    See my TBN projects at:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/resyfcgt/

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054 - 1999

Thanks for all your help.
    Our friends felt the tractor was OK but the price turned out to be higher than we were willing to go.
    We'll keep looking!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast