Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054 - 1999

Default Buying Rental Tractor

We are looking at a late 90's L35 with 1200+ hours that for the first 1000 hours was a rental unit. I am, like many of you, concerned with abuse as a rental. I have a few questions:

1. I know the L35's are very heavy duty. Is rental abuse less of a concern with a tractor like this, especially if it checks out OK?
    2. Have any of you bought rental units? What was your experience with them?

Thanks!

Tractor
    Kubota B2630, '53 Farmall Super H, '47 Farmall AI, '44 Farmall A

Default Re: Buying Rental Tractor

Don't do it man.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

When there are one owner, cared for machines out there?
    The price would have to be give-a-way for me to consider it. Just being honest. 1000 hours of rental time? That's like dog years, right?
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Don's walk away, run away. Rental equipment gets regular oil changes, but is abused badly by renters.

Platinum Member

I bought an exrental B21 in 2008 with 1050 hours on it. It has worked great for me. I can not identify any problems due to its rental history. I have used it about 300 hours. In that time the only non maintenance issues have been a burned out stop solenoid ($150) and a few hydraulic hoses. I am fairly certain that I am rougher with it than the renters would have been. Industrial Kubotas are built to work hard. In my opinion they are much tougher than the sandard B and L series.

Tractor
    A couple

Do a search for DFKRUG's rental JD 4300 rebuild. He did a fantastic job rescuing a thoroughly abused tractor; but he has skills most of us do not possess.

I second another poster's comments...DON'T DO IT!
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeHiker View Post
    We are looking at a late 90's L35 with 1200+ hours that for the first 1000 hours was a rental unit. I am, like many of you, concerned with abuse as a rental. I have a few questions:

1. I know the L35's are very heavy duty. Is rental abuse less of a concern with a tractor like this, especially if it checks out OK?
    Not to me. Tractor's are susceptible to abuse just like any other machine. And when the various people using it don't own it, there's just no way in the world that on average they will take care of it like it was their own.

I should add though that I'd be hard pressed to buy any used tractor, unless it was nearly flawless & could be easily proven to have only been driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady.

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeHiker View Post
    2. Have any of you bought rental units?
    No way would I do it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 TC45A

My local NH dealers stopped renting out tractors several years back so that tells you something. A 2 year old tractor looked like it was 20 years old and operated in a salvage yard. Every panel was busted or dented, front wheel bent etc.

Spend $2K more and get a one owner tractor.
    2006 TC45A

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

For me, it would all come down to how much cheaper you could buy it for compared to other used ones.

IMO, just because it is a rental doesnt mean it is abused more than a privatally owned tractor. I know a lot of guys that abuse their OWN equipment. But at least with a rental, 9 times out of 10, you are guarenteed it was not neglected in the service department.

A private owner machine without a service record and 1000hrs would probabally scare me more, it all just depends on what it looks like.

If it looks in good shape, and not all tore up, it could possibally be a good buy. If you are unfamiliar with tractors and basic mechanics, take a knowledgable friend along with you to check it out Check for things like slop in the hoe (pins and bushings), dentslbends in the main boom, loader frame, and buckets. Look for cracked castings around where the loader and BH frame mount. Things like this.

And to answer your second question, NO I havent bought a rental unit. But that didn't stop me from looking at them. But for me, the prices were too close compared to other used units.

And also, just because you find a unit off a private individual, doesnt mean that it didnt start life as a rental unit either. There's really no way to prove its past 1000hrs of history unless the owner cares to disclose his purchase paperwork, which he doesnt have to if he doesnt want. Someone out there may very well buy the unit you are looking at, do whatever he needs, and in a month mark it up a few thousand and re-sell. I have seen this done personally, and it's all because people think "private used" is worth more than rental used.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1947 Ford 2N and 2003 Kubota B7500

I would say it would depend on what I found inspecting it and the price. Look for cracks, welds or other signs of abuse. Make sure the controls all function as expected without excessive slop.

I would also be leery of too many new parts or fresh paint.
    -=Mark=- 03 Kubota B7500, 47 Ford 2N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast