Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #11  
Welcome to TBN!

A little over 2 years ago, I started looking for tractors, too. I searched for about a year. and have never regretted it. Go over to the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac>Power Trac forum here at TBN and start reading. They really are well-built, tough machines that are perfect for most home and small estate owners. Extremely simple to operate and maintain.

Here's what we got for our money.

PT425
Small bucket W/teeth
Large light material bucket
60" finish mower
48" brush hog
60" snow blade
30" pallet forks
Custom attachment plate for future projects
loading ramps to get it in my truck
Extra set of blades for finish mower
And I ordered the arm rests as well.

Grand total: $12,591.64 including shipping in December of 2001.

Now, these are just my opinions of course. You might find a tractor that better suits your needs. But I thought I'd offer you this information, just so you could read it, for fun. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Good luck in your decision.

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor
Jwe,

Is that you???

Looks a lot different than the image I had after seeing that picture of your uncle on the Powerking!!!

Bill in Western PA.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

guess I jumped the gun and should have read all the posts to get the answer to my question!

I now know it is only half you!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bill

Bill in Western PA

That's not me on the Kubota... I'm an old guy. That's my son... I need to have a talk with him, he's eating into my seat time.

I sold the Power King and my Wheel Horse. Had a lot of offers for the PK, even one from Nigeria. A fellow in Apollo bought it and plans to restore it. I was sad to see it go. It roamed this property for over 45 years.

John

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #15  
SubVet,

If you are looking for 20yr life span, then a CUT is the way to go. Those old Simplicities were built rock solid and built to last. IMHO, anything smaller than a CUT isn't really made to last, but if you buy a Murray from Walmart every 4 years it will be cheaper in the long run. Personally, I went with overkill and I'm quite happy. I have a 33hp tractor where an 18 hp tractor would have done the job for my land. Hopefully, my tractor will out live me...if not my wife will ensure I depart shortly after the tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #16  
Hi, SubVet. Greetings from Southern Delaware. First, just wanted to let you know I've spent a few casual hours up there near the Susquehana. Actually, my boy spends a week each summer at Camp Horseshoe on the MD/PA line on the Octoraro river. Pretty country.

If you find a need to do a little comparison shopping, the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dcequip.com>Deer Creek</A> dealerships in the area are generally pretty competitive. There's several around, as I'm sure you know. If you are looking for a competitive price on a JD to toss back at them, I'd drive a little farther south to Taylor and Messick in Harrington, Delaware and to W.C. Littleton in Laurel, Delaware. These dealerships in Southern Delaware are tired of losing business to Deere Creek and might give you a good price that you can either take, or use in your negotiations with Deer Creek. I guess there are a few people that would consider me ethically bankrupt, but I happen to think it's okay to play dealers a bit to get them off the MSRPs on this equipment. I'm not suggesting you do anything dishonest or try to whittle all the profits because that can come back to bite you as well. Just to let you know I ordered my 2210 from the dealer closest to me and paid several hundred $ more than the lowest price I found because I know they'll be there to work with me. I figured they deserve to charge a little more and let them know what I expect in return. I did share my competitive prices though so that they knew there really is competition out there. I told every dealer I worked with that I was shopping both price and service (convenience) but that there was a $ value to convenience. In other words, If their price was, say, $1,000 higher than a dealer farther away that I could borrow a trailer an take a day off to transport the tractor for $1,000.

As far as Kubota dealerships go, Burke's in Camden and Seaford, DE are the ones I'm familiar with. They are good people but the only game in town. I was disappointed with their total lack of responsiveness once in the past when I inquired about a "project" tractor they had on their lot, so I took my money and time elsewhere.

I think working with a dealer is a two-way street and sincerity is important on both sides of the transaction. My Dad taught me that if a dealer (car or otherwise) acted real happy after I signed for something, or if he gave me teddy bears for the kids or a handful of business cards, that I left soemthing on the table in the deal.

Good luck. Sounds like you would be happy with a 2210 or BX. A great big 2-WD garden tractor like a 455 would work, but you might miss some of the sub-compact capabilities in the future.

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #17  
SubVet;I'll chime in with JWE, this website helped me not buy the wrong tractor. Through all the info that I considered when shopping, TBN convinced me that Kubota was the only choice for my use. /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif Personal bias aside any tractor in the HP range you need will work for you. I would not own anything but a HST ...it's just so smooth and time efficient. My personal assessment of your needs leads me to the conclusion that any of the BX or B series Kubota would delight you for 20 - 30 yrs. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Enjoy your tractor, no matter what color it turns out to be./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif....RayBee

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #18  
SubVet,

I'm sorry that this is turning into a hydro vs gear discussion. Either will do the job, it is the operator's preference. The synchro shifters which allow quicker direction changes than the "standard" gear transmissions, are not available from the big three (Deere, Kubota, & New Holland) in this small tractor size. I'm not familiar with the Kioti's and the other Chinese or Korean options.

Of the tractors you mentioned the TC18, BX2200/1800/1500, or JD 2210 will do the job quite nicely. I have a TC18 (with hydro) that I use on 4 acres. Plenty big. All three brands make excellent tractors, you need to decide between the sub compact & small compact sizes. The TC18, while only 18HP, is one size bigger than the BX or the 2210, Deere's version would be the 4010 or 4110, Kubota the B7500.

The X595, is well suited for lawn mowing & snow removal & may very well be the ultimate lawn & garden tractor, but it won't serve you as well for the woods clearing as a sub compact or compact tractor.

Time to pound the pavement, stop by your local dealers & try them all out. You dealer may let you demo one at your property. I'd buy from the dealer that treats you best (not on price alone)

Don't worry about worst case scenerio repair costs. For the size lot you have & work you've described, I'd bet the tractor will outlive you.

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #19  
All I know is they make a few different transmission options so somebody must be buying each..which I quess means people prefer thru differrent needs and reasons each type of transmission available. As suggested it makes sense to evaluate YOUR needs and pick what YOU are comfortable with.

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #20  
Regarding "regional pricing"

I've found that prices in the north east are significantly higher than those in the midwest. It also seems that the closer to the big cities, the higher the price as well for these "Ultimate yuppy power tools".

That said, I didn't mind paying $800 more to buy locally. Over the life of the tractor it is nothing & the service has been A-1.

If the difference were $3,000 well I'd be taking a road trip with a rented trailer.