Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #41  
I think what JWE is getting at is if you are heading downhill and want to reduce ground speed with the gear, you have to either reduce engine RPMs(which will slow down the implement) or change gears, which means your tractor is momentarily not in gear as you are heading down hill. Personally, I don't like that feeling.

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #42  
<font color=red>I think what JWE is getting at is if you are heading downhill and want to reduce ground speed with the gear, you have to either reduce engine RPMs(which will slow down the implement) or change gears, which means your tractor is momentarily not in gear as you are heading down hill. Personally, I don't like that feeling.

<font color=black>I don't think I've ever noticed problems going down hill -while in gear-.. only when the clutch is in might there be a problem.. course that is what breaks and 4wd and 2 stage clutches are for....

Soundguy

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #43  
SubVet -- Welcome aboard, shipmate! I served on Gurnard (SSN-662) before going to the surface fleet trying to save my marriage. (Didn't work. In retrospect, no great loss.)

Two questions about your mention of a backhoe. What sort of soil will you be digging in? What sort of digging will you be doing?

Pete (former HMC SS/SW)

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor
Hey Shipmate,
The back hoe is more like wishful thinking....probably not realistic for me, more like a play toy at that point. The soil I have here is brown topsoil with some clay.

I am not familiar with two stage clutches but I have driven gear tractors for many decades prior to buying Kubota Hydro. Gear drive certainly has a more efficient transfer of power but I think you will find that most people prefer Hydro. This is especially true with the smaller CUTs and the sub-compact tractors. As in my case, much of my time will be spent mowing grass and front loader work (good match for Hydro). I frequently have to reduce my ground speed to make turns at the bottom of steep hills and to trim around shrubs. It sure is nice to control ground speed without shifting or reducing engine RPMs as I did with my gear drive tractors.

The dealer that I bought from said that he sells Hydro at about a 2-1 ratio because that is what most buyers want. Here is a direct quote from a JD dealer when I asked if I would be better off with gear drive "I've never had a customer with a Hydro tell me that he had wished that he had bought a gear drive. I’ve had many customers that bought gear drive say that they wish that they had bought Hydro". Hydro is what most people want in this size of tractor. If you are buying a large CUT or a farm tractor, maybe the reverse is true.

Maybe a two-stage clutch has the same effect as Hydro on implement RPMs. If so, none of the dealers mentioned it to me during my search for a new tractor.

John

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #46  
Play? Isn't that how it starts? Backhoeing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! And then it becomes indispensible. Get one if you can.

Pete

Look this whole thread got started because i said don't sell the shuttle shift short. Again for all you hst boys, if you like driving your hst tractor good for you, I prefer operating a shuttle shift better. If you don't have good mechanical operating abalities then definitely i would reccomend the hst. Especially if you are new to tractors or heavy machinery.

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #48  
<font color=orange>KIOTIGUY</font color=orange>,

Do I detect your displeasure in others opinions? There is really no need to get so upset all the time. It's bad for your health. Everyone has a right to their own opinion you know, including yourself. I'm happy for you that you think so much of the shuttle shift transmission. I know you have mentioned it quit often. I've never operated one. Maybe if I had I might like it as much as you do. Have you had much experience operating hydrostatic transmissions yourself? Are there any other features about your tractor that you would like to share with us?
Before responding please take 10 deep breaths and try to relax. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Help for Newbe Looking For New Tractor #49  
<font color=blue>Look this whole thread got started because i said don't sell the shuttle shift short.</font color=blue>

I think it started with you saying this:

<font color=blue>DON'T SELL THE SHUTTLE SHIFT SHORT, IN MY OPINION JUST AS EASY TO USE AS HYDRO TRANS, AND YOU DON'T LOSE POWER. </font color=blue>

And with me going off on a rant by replying with this:

<font color=red>Stop perpetuating the myth /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif </font color=red>

and explaining my reasoning, but ending with this:

<font color=red>Please excuse me, I'm done now. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif</font color=red>

Then, as expected(and to the evil delight of the ones strong enough to read but not reply), the whole, simple math, basic physics, moosroad, mine is better than yours arguments of all the other gear VS hydro threads reared their ugly heads(it could have ended here, but I won't let it, and that's why so many people love these threads).

Now, some here would take the comment:

<font color=blue>If you don't have good mechanical operating abalities then definitely i would reccomend the hst. </font color=blue>

to mean that you are implying that HST owners are a bunch of un-coordinated clutzes who couldn't use both their feet and hands at the same time, so they went with an automatic. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I won't take it that way, because of your final comment:
<font color=blue>Especially if you are new to tractors or heavy machinery.</font color=blue>

I couldn't agree with you more. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I think we both agree that every potential tractor owner should test out ALL types of tractor/transmission combinations possible before making a decision.

They shouldn't sell the shuttle shift short, nor should they worry about power loss with an HST. They should also look at straight gear tractors. It might be the right machine for the jobs that they intend to do.

BTW, I think everyone here at TBN will be glad to know that my New Years resolution is to resist the temptation to engage in gear VS HST threads in a hostile or over zelous manner. However, I reserve the right to point out that a properly sized tractor with an HST will do the jobs it is designed to do.

I try to do this stuff with tongue in cheek humor, but sometimes it just comes across badly and I apologize if I come across with a 'my tractor is better than your tractor' tone. It is not meant that way at all. Have a great weekend, everyone /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

David G.

mossroad at least you got it, thought that little slam might go over most hst boys heads. and yes it was in jest