Tractor Sizing Looking to size right Tractor New User

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #1  

Anonymous Poster

I just bought 22 acres, it is in GA and I need to buy a tractor. The land is mostly thick grass that has not been cut in avery long time, the land at one time was cow pasture. flat and hilly. I know th first cut will be tuff, I just don't want to buy to small or to large. May have some horses down the road. Looked at JD 790/990 and NH TC series, also Kubotas. Any help or advise would be great.

Thanks
Graham

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #2  
I think the 790/990 is a great value. Also check the Bransons. The main warehouse is in Georgia, so there should be some dealers close. You can get the job done with a small or big tractor, it just takes more time with a small one. Even so, 22 acres is a decent chunk of land, so I would aim for 28-35HP. Weight is as important as power, because it helps traction, so I would look at something with a little bit of heft.

Best of luck.

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User
I WOULD AR LEAST GET A 30 HP, AND AS DAVE SAID WEIGHT IS IMPORTANT TO GET YOUR POWER TO THE GROUND. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION.

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User
Just for reference, I have a B2910 Kubota 30 HP and about 4 acres and I am quite happy with it and glad I did not go smaller!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #5  
I've got a TC33D that I use on 80 acres: mostly wooded, but probably 15+ acres of "pasture" (at least it's starting to look like pasture). I bought the TC33D because I couldn't go much bigger and still get down some of the trails I had in the woods. If I were just doing open pasture without a lot of obstacles, I'd have gone up to the next frame size larger (TC35 or TC40, probably).

If your pasture is largely open, you could do it with the JD 790 (or a New Holland TC30 for example) which will handle a 5 ft brush mower, but would save yourself some time by going larger say a JD 990 or NH TC40 and a 6 ft brush mower. (some one else can supply you with the Kubota equivalent models)

For me, the smaller frame tractor worked fine, since I'm not mowing all of the pasture very often each season. In fact, in one of the pastures I may end up only mowing 1/3 or so of it each year on a rotating basis, to provide better wildlife habitat. (the other pasture is actually my neighbors and is used for horses, will be mowed as needed throughout each season)

John Mc

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #6  
I have a B2710 - Kubota w/BH & FEL /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif I use it on my 9 acres for lots of heavy work and digging and have never been dissapointed in it's performance. Whatever color machine you buy should have ballast in the tires for traction and rear ballast for front end work. Kubota has an assembly plant in Gainsville,GA that has factory tours, you might learn enough to help your decision process. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Don't rush your decision & have fun with it. ...RayBee

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #7  
WELCOME ABOARD/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif u only mention cutting heavy grass, what wlse do intend to do with it? i would imagine that u stay in the 30 hp range as some of the others have said , sometimes u just need the mass and not he power.

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #8  
What Frank F15 said. If you only plan on pasture maintenance then you could go with a 2 wheel drive tractor and might want to step up to a small (not compact) utility tractor like a NH 3010s, JD 5000 series or MF 200 or 400 series. These units will pull 6' bush hogs with ease and give you a better ride over the rough ground due to their longer wheel bases and wider tread width. IF you think you might want to do some terra-forming or landscaping and need a loader down the road then think about a 4WD machine and the $$$$ will have you back in compact land in no time.

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #9  
Obviously you have not priced one of the new mfd 00 series tractors from Mahindra. For a utility tractor with mfd the prices can not be beat!!

/ Looking to size right Tractor New User #10  
A million pardons, Sahib. I never think of Mahindra ( or Jinma or etc) because I never see any in my travels up and down the Colorado Front Range.