tractor resale value

/ tractor resale value #1  

sab5948

Tractor
JD 4410
I was talking to a friend yesterday who is telling me that I would be a fool to buy anything but a Kubota since they have a higher resale value. From everything I've read here on TBN and seen in looking for a tractor for myself, I found this hard to believe, so I thought I would throw the question up to this forum.

Which brand, if any, holds it's value better over time?

Thanks for the input!

-Scott

/ tractor resale value #2  
Scott, I don't know which brand is best, I guess it depends on the area you are in. But I sold my used 87' Kubota for $12K last year, which is more than it sold for new! So I'm sold on the Kubota's holding their value!

/ tractor resale value #3  
Scott, like Von, I've owned (and later sold) two Kubotas. And quite frankly, if I were shopping for a new tractor today, I probably wouldn't consider anything but Kubota (if I were looking for used ones, then I'd consider other brands also). As far as which brands hold their value better, I don't know and I'm not even sure that any one brand is dominant in that area. I suspect it may be different in different parts of the country, but I also suspect that the care and maintenance a tractor receives and the condition it's in at the time of sale have more to do with its resale value than the brand.

But I also suspect that John Miller III is the best source on the forum for the information you requested./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ tractor resale value #4  
Someone mentioned on the other thread that about resale values that the New Holland has the best resale value. Most of these tractors hold their value rather well. Deere also has the same reputation where I've been from as well. I had an LX 279 that I traded in for just about as much as I bought it for on a new 455.

It also depends greatly on how you buy your tractor. If you buy new it's going to be a little tougher to get your money back out of it. If you buy used, however, it's usually not too difficult to get your money back. Tractors dont' have anywhere near the depreciation that cars and pickups do. Alot of people approach buying a tractor that way but it doesn't work like that with tractors. The year doesn't matter near as much as how many hours and the condition.

/ tractor resale value #5  
I sold my 1988 Ford NH 1720 tractor for $9500. I paid somewhere around $10K for it back in 1988. It was still in excellent shape. I believe all the big three tractors hold there value fairly equally. I think the value is more affected by how well the tractor is maintained and how it looks and sounds.

/ tractor resale value #6  
Any tractor that's been around and has built a 'good' reputation will hold their resale value.

Here's a thought. I bought a new JD 4610 back in June of last year. I was curious to the value, so I went to machinerylink.com. Low and behold, that sucker is worth $3,000 more than what I gave for it. Just goes to show you, you can't put too much faith in everything you read.

Anyone want to buy it ;)

Billy

/ tractor resale value #7  
I just followed the same link and found my '86-'87 (not sure which) JD 1050 is worth about the same as was paid. I got a FEL and boxblade out of that deal too... Doesn't matter, We never sell machines that will do a day's work... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tractor resale value #8  
sab: Before I bought a new tractor, I ran depreciation schedules on ones I was considering (many new models are more or less extensions of older ones) in the 2 liter engine category. There will be differences of course based on location, dealers in the area and so on. I was surprised to find that the geared trans Ford/New Hollands do slightly (very slightly) better than Kubota and Deere. This was a surprise, since Deere has a reputation (as well as Kubota) for having the best (i.e. lowest) rate. What others have said correct though, that the majors (NH, KUB, JD) will do better than the off brands, even though some of the off brands may be just a well, indeed, better made. JEH

/ tractor resale value #9  
I did the same lookup for my Kubota L3010 and found out is worth more used then I paid for it new. Actually, these figures are a guideline. If I found some one who would give me $2000 more for my L3010, I still would not get rid of it. I am just breaking it in. Why have to learn about a new tractor all over again!
There are some specific models that have appreciated. The John Deere 955 with HST is a good example. If in good shape, they really demand a premium. This certainly is the case in Oregon.
My recommendation is to pick from the big three and you will not be disappointed. Having said that, lately the TYN and some other Korean tractors seem very solid, but I doubt their resale is as good. If you plan on keeping the tractor, I suspect you would be very happy with the Korean products as well.

/ tractor resale value #10  
<font color=blue>...a fool to buy anything but a Kubota since they have a higher resale value.</font color=blue>
No offense, but, other than offering yet another 'my tractor is better than your tractor' issue /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, if someone doesn't plan on selling/trading their tractor, regardlesss of brand, and are not leasing it, what difference does it make what the resale value is?