Another Newbie

/ Another Newbie #11  
I pushed it down my road and into the woods once I got it out of the hole. I was able to scrape most of the dirt out of the root ball with the toothbar on my loader. That helped a lot. It was also bone dry. There was no way my loader or BH could lift it.

Greg

/ Another Newbie
Grub, They are not the size that Greg took out. I have a photo and when I figure out how to attach it I will post it.

/ Another Newbie #13  
Gregg, that is a very impressive stump removal job, good work! How long did that take you? Not to discredit your work, but when there is that much foreground (stump) background (tractor) disparity the foreground objects size is exaggerated in comparison. That puts your accomplishment in the best light. None the less, this is a good picture to show Eric what can be done and it might save him from spending more than necessary. That is what we are all here for and I hope i did not miss lead you Eric. But I still believe my original statement somewhat holds with respect to frustration.

/ Another Newbie #14  
Grubb,
I totally agree with you about the frustration level. However, for some of us, seat time is therapeutic. I believe I spent around 8 hours getting that stump out. I enjoyed every minute. All the conditions were just right. It was bone dry and in very sandy soil. As far as my "artistic" perspective of the stump photo...... yup, I've been taking pictures of fish for years. There's always a good angle to take a picture. The root ball is over 6 ft. tall though.

Greg

/ Another Newbie #15  
All I can tell you is I would rather have more tractor than needed than not enough, either way it is a major purchase.

/ Another Newbie #16  
If you are stumping and ditching, get as much tractor as you can afford. In the end you will still have a rig that hasn't worked it's innards out. In the long run it will turn out to be the cheaper way to go.

/ Another Newbie
Thanks to everone for their comments.This is a great site for someone like me. When I began researching tractors I had in mind to get something used (less$$$$). I saw what appeared to be some quality grey market machines with FELs on the net. But then, when I added the cost of adding a HOE the price was such that I began to wonder if I shouldnt just bite the bullet and buy something new!! I guess that all depends how much$$$ is left after I finish the house/garage/shop. What do you guys think?? It seems like I change my mind set every other day. Maybe the brain cells are dieing off. Come to think of it, maybe they are GONE!!

/ Another Newbie #18  
Amen to the "change the mind every other day" My wife and I have land on Seneca Lake we want to build a retirement home on. We went back and forth for two years trying to figure out if we wanted a boat and dock first and build later or build first etc. We bought a tractor (land locked yacht) so it looks like we deceided to clear land and build first.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Another Newbie #19  
Burner Can Man,

This is just me, but after a while, and it took a long while,
I just wanted to:
- work smarter, not harder.
- not play with things for hours/days/weeks on end, but turn
the key and go.
- have exceptional support, family, friends, dealer, dealers.
- know the machine.
- know it will last longer than me.

All these things added up to a new tractor.

IMHO
-Mike Z.
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Another Newbie #20  
Welcome Eric
Here's another trophy stump, not as large as the previous, but with lots of dirt and off the ground./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif For reference purposes it's a 14" white oak ( 1 1/2 hrs) my first attempt at working a BH. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif and a Kubota B2710. Maybe if enough fellers submit photos your tractor choice can be made a little easier ...................
.....( it's never easy) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif ..RayBee

Attachments

• 46-224707-liftstump.jpeg_2.jpg
    46-224707-liftstump.jpeg_2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 94