Another Newbie

/ Another Newbie #1  

burnercan

Tractor
Really looking hard at Kioti
Hello all,
Been on the sidelines trying to soak up all the info that flows out of all of you. So, guess it's time to jump in as I have at lot of questions about purchasing a compact tractor. Please bare with me if I ask something dumb cause the only tractor I have been around was an old homemade, 2 tranney flat head that my Grandfathr had. I have been looking at everything. New, Grey market, Chinese etc and have changed my thought process weekly. So, I don't know if I am posting in the correct location cause I was just looking at the CK 20 from Kioti. Any guidelines for posting and asking questions??

/ Another Newbie #2  
Welcome to TBN, Eric!

If you have a question about a specific brand, it will get answered the quickest if it's posted in the forum for that brand. Here's a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=kioti>link</A> to the Kioti forum.

If you have questions that are not specific to a brand, it's best to post them in one of the General Forums that appear first.

/ Another Newbie #4  
Eric,

Just post under whatever heading looks good to you. If it's not right the moderators here will put it in the right place and tell you exactly what they did and why. They are some of the nicest guys I know so don't worry about making a mistake.

/ Another Newbie
Thanks for the help Richard. Yes, it sure looks like a great place to spend quality time. Especially when one needs help with tractors like I do.

/ Another Newbie #6  
HI ERIC! welcome to the forum. what size tractor where u thinking of? and how much would you need to do with the bh?

/ Another Newbie
Hi Frank,I am not really sure. I have to clean out and maintain the drainage ditch and dig out old stumps left over when the road was built plus whatever. Part of my problem is that I don't know what kind of performance to expect from a 17 HP tractor vs a 20hp, 30 etc. I sure dont want to get more tractor (pay more) than what I need but again,I am not sure what it is that I would require.

/ Another Newbie #8  
I don't know how many or what size stumps you have, but you are probably going to be very frustrated with any thing less than 35 HP if you have much stump removal work.

/ Another Newbie #9  
When I was shopping for my tractor, I was asking the same questions. What was the difference between 15 and 30 hp? How much was a tractor in this size range really capable of? What was I going to ultimately need? I finally settled on a Kubota B7500 (21hp). One of the things I wanted to do was remove stumps. I also concluded that "seat time" was not a bad thing. If I wasn't in a hurry, a smaller tractor could do the job, just a little slower. Just for reference, I have attached a picture of my "trophy" stump. I compare it to catching a large fish on light tackle. You take your time, work it, use the laws of physics and in the end you can get it done. If you need to work fast, it would have been frustrating. When I'm not doing heavy work, I really like having a smaller tractor. It doesn't tear up the lawn and I can get it in tight places. Hope this helps. Have fun shopping.

Greg

Attachments

• 46-223274-TractorStump3.jpg
    46-223274-TractorStump3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 100