is 2500 hours a lot...

/ is 2500 hours a lot... #1  

VTsteader

Tractor
Kubota B21
Is 2500 hours a lot on a 17 hp 3 cyl diesel? Looking at a Ford 1220 4x4 w/ backhoe and fel asking $8k. Also I have seen other brands with similar hours on them in my price range and I'm not sure if I'm risking my $$.

Thanks,
Rob

/ is 2500 hours a lot...
Does that mean after 2000 hours the dealers are expecting things to go wrong or hoping that things will go wrong?:laughing:

/ is 2500 hours a lot... #4  
Insurance is the game of odds..Vegas stuff..So my guess is the odds are, anything over 2000 hrs has more risk..

/ is 2500 hours a lot...
Yeah, that's slowly sinking in. I'm looking to buy my first tractor and this one is everything I'm looking for but with that many hours, I don't want to risk that much money, even if I can get it down to $7k. Thanks for the input!

/ is 2500 hours a lot... #6  
I would consider 4000-5000 hours a lot on any small diesel. My definition of low hours used would be 1200-1500 hours. Depends how many hours a year you think you will be using the tractor. At 2500 hours it is still a very strong and worthwhile tractor.

/ is 2500 hours a lot... #7  
5-600 hrs is my limit when buying used..That is just me.. But then it cost you more money and if you are not a mechanic it gets tougher...

/ is 2500 hours a lot...
Thanks for messing with my head Whistlepig! I have talked to a couple of mechanic friends, who know diesels, not necessarily tractors but they're smart guys and they weren't afraid of the hours. I won't be putting a ton of hours on it as I've got two little ones runnin' around that need my attention that being said there will be days when I'll be looking to jump on that tractor for some R&R!

/ is 2500 hours a lot... #9  
What shape is it in? Does it look well maintained? When you try it out pay attention to the pins (all the joints in the loader and backhoe have grease fittings). Chances are there will be some play in them but if it's excessive or they look dry like they've never seen grease then it's a good chance the tractor wasn't well maintained.

You can also have a small sample of oil sent out to a lab. For very little they will tell you what's in the oil. They check for things like excessive bearing wear, radiator fluid, etc.

/ is 2500 hours a lot...
Thanks crazyal. I'm going to look at it today if all goes well and I'll add what you suggested to my growing checklist. If I think it's o.k. is it unreasonable to give the owner a small deposit and have it checked out by my diesel mechanic friend when I go to pick it up? Can I expect a deposit back if he says it has some major issues that I missed?

Thanks again,
Rob