Backhoe With Cab?

/ Backhoe With Cab? #1  

HenRut

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 TYM T1003C
I'm a tractor newbie beginning my research for a 50hp class machine and I've got a basic question I know the knowledgeable greybeards on this great forum can quickly answer. Why do some dealers not recommend a backhoe with a cab tractor (assuming the BH is a dealer option for the machine)? Is it a matter of maneuverability or fit or comfort? My usage would probably be 10-25% BH but when I need it, there's no substitute. The machines I'm considering are Kubota L5740 HST Cab, Kioti DK55 Shuttle Cab or Mahindra 5035 HST (non cab). Finances may dictate me going cab-less, which I would probably regret next winter (I'm in New England) but I can't do without a BH. Any reason to be afraid of a BH behind a cab? Thanks in advance.

/ Backhoe With Cab? #2  
nothing to do with stability or maneuverability. It has to do with the fact that with the cab, you have to climb off the backhoe seat and walk around, climb into the cab and move the tractor to the next part of the trench, climb back out and climb onto the BH, etc etc.

My dealer told me he wouldn't recommend it either. I needed the cab WAY more than the BH.

On larger commercial cab backhoes, the driver seat swivels so you can use the hoe. not so with the CT hoes (least none that i have seen).

On a personal note: for the times i need a hoe...i rent a mini excavator. will outperform any backhoe. I'm an electrician, do alot of underground work and the minis have outperformed every standard backhoe Ive ever rented. But to each their own. if you have a great need to own one..go for it.

But for me, when I'm in my toasty warm cab during an Idaho winter storm....ill think about all the guys with their hoes LOL:laughing: :laughing: :licking:

/ Backhoe With Cab?
Great info. Thanks. "Convenience" was the big one I missed, plus leg wear-n-tear. I can see how trenching with any tractor-mounted bh would be a serious drag. My needs run more towards popping rocks and stumping. Still, besides the misery of a howling cold mid-winter, I tend to forget the other miserable days throughout the four seasons where a cab would be nice. And I've got a few local mini-ex rental options and can put the extra 8-9K toward attachments.

On another note, I notice you have a Kioti DK SE series. Any comments on my chosen tractor choices?

/ Backhoe With Cab? #4  
I test drove the Kublta 3240 , TYM T503 and a the Kioti DK45se that i bought. All were HST drives and cab units. I thought all were great tractors but had a few issues with some of them. I looked at the JD 4000 & 5000 series but they were priced out of the ballpark did not test drive these.

1. Kubota was a great tractor, slightly cheaper than the John deere, but everything was an extra. No rear ports ($1,300 extra), No rear wiper (140.00), No rear lights (125 ea, inst),No radio ($427.00). The lifting wasnt as great as the Kioti, but the HP were less.

2. John Deeres....the dealer i have been using for years wouldnt work with me. Insisted on selling at list price even though i was paying 100% cash

3. Tym T503 - Nice tractor, had a few faults. No radio (150.00), Only had 1 remote (extra $400.00), No wiper (390.00). cheaper than JD and Kioti. The biggest fault is the rear remote control lever was behind the driver, right side by rear window. Very poor design there. Also, 4 of the a/c-Heat ducts dont blow air???? i was told there for intake. the back windows fogged up while test driving it. But i did like the tractor.

4. The Kioti had everything as standard except for 2nd rear remote (400.00). Was cheaper that all the rest. Included R4 tires (these were extra at JD & Kubota $600.00).

these were just my findings. other people have other ideas.

As far as a BH on a tractor without a cab, you can reach over and move the tractor foreword NO PROB. Its the CAB that gets in the way. BTW, i spent 7 hours on a Kubota 4 ton mini excavator today......loved it. Dug lots of trenches and holes to bury roots. I wish i could justify buying one of these things. I rented it for $150.00 per day for a job, then brought it home to do my place. i got to use it for free:laughing: :licking:

ive never test driven the Mahindra 5035 HST ...dont know anything about them. The DK55 is a great machine, and i played in one. But i really want the HST for winter snow work. The HST isnt avail above the 50HP. I didnt try the 50HP Kubota series, as the dealership didnt have any that size with cabs. Mind you, you cant go wrong with a Kubota. Wish they were cheaper.

/ Backhoe With Cab? #5  
I have done quite a bit of work with a cab/ backhoe combination. It's a pain in the neck to get in and out of each time you need to move the unit. However, if the majority of your work is tractor work and you can't afford multiple machines then I would not hesitate. The cab is so much superior to the open platform that if you can afford it, do it.

It's true, renting a mini excavator is a great way to go. They are far superior to a backhoe. For me, though, the backhoe is a much more convenient because there is no scheduling, no pickup/ drop off, and I can dig at my leisure ( although that encourages procrastination....).

/ Backhoe With Cab? #6  
I believe this is just a personal preference. Most tractors with a BH on the back have a separate seat so often you are getting off and getting back on, what is the difference with a cab? You just have to open a door, not a big thing. The other option is if you do not have a cab is to play monkey and climb over your seat to get to the BH seat and hopefully you never catch a foot or anything and take a tumble.

The best 'fit' for BH work is Kubota's L45, nice open deck, seat easily swivels into position however there is no cab, just a sun shade. It is not inexpensive however with the dollars you are looking at for the other models you have listed, it's likely $4-5k more but it's also a workhorse. Other models with swivel seats albeit no cab are the B26, L39, M59 and the Deere 110 - all only have sun shades. There may be more but the others I know are full size BH's with cabs.

/ Backhoe With Cab? #7  
I believe this is just a personal preference. Most tractors with a BH on the back have a separate seat so often you are getting off and getting back on, what is the difference with a cab? You just have to open a door, not a big thing. The other option is if you do not have a cab is to play monkey and climb over your seat to get to the BH seat and hopefully you never catch a foot or anything and take a tumble.

The best 'fit' for BH work is Kubota's L45, nice open deck, seat easily swivels into position however there is no cab, just a sun shade. It is not inexpensive however with the dollars you are looking at for the other models you have listed, it's likely $4-5k more but it's also a workhorse. Other models with swivel seats albeit no cab are the B26, L39, M59 and the Deere 110 - all only have sun shades. There may be more but the others I know are full size BH's with cabs.

Kyle, the best part of the L-45 is the hydraulic system. It is big and flow rated at nearly double the average compact tractor so everything is like on commercial units. Many of the new hoe's on the kubotas also use a swivel seat like on the commercial backhoes.

The plus of kubotas design is the hoe closer to the tractor for less leverage against the chassis. It makes it real easy to load as the hoe's don't dig into the pavement when loading on trailers as well.

/ Backhoe With Cab? #8  
I can say this I own a B3300su with the BH77 backhoe and love it and it does have the swivel seat and getting from BH to tractor is easy just by stepping on one of the rear tires, there is no need to dismount. And if I am trenching all I have to do is lean over and pull up on the reverse HST petal.:thumbsup:

/ Backhoe With Cab? #9  
Kyle, the best part of the L-45 is the hydraulic system. It is big and flow rated at nearly double the average compact tractor so everything is like on commercial units. Many of the new hoe's on the kubotas also use a swivel seat like on the commercial backhoes.

The plus of kubotas design is the hoe closer to the tractor for less leverage against the chassis. It makes it real easy to load as the hoe's don't dig into the pavement when loading on trailers as well.

Art, definitely agree with the flow rates plus I believe the L45 and M59 have a dedicated pump for the BH (not sure about the B26). All the other new Kubota's I have looked at recently (L3800, L4400, MX4700 and MX5100) have a second seat with the BH, not the most comfortable if you're doing a long job. I have not seen a swivel on anything other than the B26, L39, L45 and M59.

I can say this I own a B3300su with the BH77 backhoe and love it and it does have the swivel seat and getting from BH to tractor is easy just by stepping on one of the rear tires, there is no need to dismount. And if I am trenching all I have to do is lean over and pull up on the reverse HST petal.:thumbsup:

You must have very long arms! I agree with the stepping on the tire, I do the same however if one is not able or is not well balanced, they could go for a tumble. I like the swivel seat as my B20 has it as well however nothing like the new commercial models which are sweet!

Don't wish to sidetrack what the OP is asking about though. I do not have concerns with a cab and backhoe and if you want both, get both. Don't let a dealer determine what you need/want as my dealer states the same about cab & BH, "we don't stock those as it's not recommended." I asked him who's recommendation and he said himself and I asked whether he has ever owned a BH and his answer was no. Personally I do not consider him an expert on that subject. I do agree though his customer base does not tend to want both, now that is a different reason altogether and makes sense why he does not stock them.

And for the OP, check this out, you are not alone: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/162422-backhoe-l4630-cab.html.

/ Backhoe With Cab?
Great responses, all. Thanks. I'm a straight newbie at this so even the diversions and sidebars are useful. I ran across another reason today why some tractors aren't recommended for a bh... they're too big! I happened upon a new Mahindra 8560 Cab on my local dealer's lot (brand new line for him--traded out New Holland) and was quite impressed with the fit and finish. Didn't drive it, so can't speak to the mechanics. Anyway, I mentioned a bh and he says the manufacturer didn't pair it with one because it was probably to big (tall). Any current bh would sit too far off the ground to have any decent dig depth. Makes sense to me, but then, what do I know. As most of my work would be tractor work and not bh, I loved the size and weight of the machine. Plus the price was equal to other machines I'm considering that had 40 to 50 hp less! Still, it's a Mahindra. I'm starting to understand that with those machines, if you get one where the assembly gods were shining on the factory that day, you have a killer machine equal to anything out there, for much less money. Plus, one of the best warranties out there and the dealer is only 5 miles from me. Seeing that machine doesn't help my decision. <g>