John Deere vs Kubota

/ John Deere vs Kubota #1  

mSparrow

At our place (hotel) i have to cut the grass (in a park so not perfect like a golf terrain), with trees and so on. Apart from that there are parts of the park where everything is knee high. To cut the whole surface i need about 5-6 hours to give you an idea cause its hard to calculate in acres. There are other jobs to be done as well but nothing like "farmer work".

I got two offers from local suppliers, one John Deere and one Kubota.
It's between John Deere 3320 and Kubota STV32.
To cut and collect they advised me a system from Peruzzo, namely Koala 900.

Some people here say the John Deere is not really a John Deere because it has a Yanmar engine, other say its better than the Kubota.

Can anybody please advise me what to buy? (both prices are nearly the same so that's not really and issue)

Thanks in advance.

Maxim

/ John Deere vs Kubota #2  
At our place (hotel) i have to cut the grass (in a park so not perfect like a golf terrain), with trees and so on. Apart from that there are parts of the park where everything is knee high. To cut the whole surface i need about 5-6 hours to give you an idea cause its hard to calculate in acres. There are other jobs to be done as well but nothing like "farmer work".

I got two offers from local suppliers, one John Deere and one Kubota.
It's between John Deere 3320 and Kubota STV32.
To cut and collect they advised me a system from Peruzzo, namely Koala 900.

Some people here say the John Deere is not really a John Deere because it has a Yanmar engine, other say its better than the Kubota.

Can anybody please advise me what to buy? (both prices are nearly the same so that's not really and issue)

Thanks in advance.

Maxim

If you are cutting grass and have a lot of obstacles, I would think about a big zero turn mower. It will be a lot lighter, much more maneuverable and faster. Zero turns really shine when you get to the end of the cut and have to turn around. There are no awkward turns that leave uncut areas that later have to be cleaned up.

/ John Deere vs Kubota #3  
I agree. For simple grass cutting...I have a JD 997 Zmower with a 72' deck and it will run circles around my JD 4720 in mowing. Zs do one thing and one thing well. Unless you need a FEL, brush mowing, etc. the only time I use my tractor to mow is in rough feild mowning where it is be too rough for the Z to handle and get traction. You don't see pro-mowing companies using tractors...they all use Z mowers.

/ John Deere vs Kubota #4  
You pay a premium for John Deere for better service and customer care..that is proving to not be so much the case anymore..Kubota and John Deere quality are very simular otherwise.

/ John Deere vs Kubota
Thanks for the info. Although the grass cutting part is the main priority, it has to do other stuff as well like pulling a trailer, verticute, pulling a slide to level the parking etc.
Since i was looking for a machine that can handle all those things i came to both types (JD or Kub).
I was told that JD is a perfect machine as it comes to the bigger tractor (their core businesswith their proper engines), but that they discovered only recently the market of smaller tractors (like the 3320 etc) and therefor are not as reliable as Kubota whoes main market is that of the smaller tractor.
Since i don't have any experience i can only refrase what ppl tell me so is this true? Is Kubota more reliable than JD?

/ John Deere vs Kubota #6  
I have 2 acres of grass to cut and I have a Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48". I can mow everything in about an hour and 20 minutes. I also have a lot of manuvering in tight spaces to do so opted for a smaller 48". This is a commercial grade unit, so it will mow at 8 miles an hour for the straight aways unless the grass is extremely heavy.

/ John Deere vs Kubota #7  
Both ar egood machines. Have whoever will use it try them both out and get the one he/she feels most comfortable using. The question you posed here will ignite a large debate. The Kubota guys will bash JD and the JD guys will bask the Kub. SO simply put try them both out and find which one you like the feel of. I happen to like orange but I considered green too. The orange just felt better and has been very reliable.

/ John Deere vs Kubota
And the Yanmar engine (the one in the JD) is a reliable engine?

/ John Deere vs Kubota #9  
I have a Kubota, but when I was looking to decide, the least of my worries was the Yanmar engine. They are a well known manufacturer of diesel engines. When I was into sailing, I found they were a preferred engine for sailboats and smaller trawlers.

/ John Deere vs Kubota #10  
I would go Kubota, or better yet kioti, the JD aren't just yan engines but front axles and trannys. If you can get a JD and yan side by side and when you scrap the green paint away you will find the same part numbers! Did this just the other day at a kioti dealer conference. If you really like the JD then go by the yan equivalent for less money and better service, at least then you know your buying parts direct, rather than re-badged! I would also say have a good look at kioti, their machine are a close match to Kubota but have stronger front axles and better transmissions, they also make everything in house from the steel foundry to the gear factory to the engines, so everything matches and getting parts is easy!

But the most important thing, buy what ever you feel most comfortable driving there is no point buying something just because a everyone(or the adverts) say is the best if you can't stand how the tractor drives, today all these tractor work pretty much the same, and comparing class for class can achieve the same things, so really it just comes down to your preference and budget.

Cheers
Andrew