Which New Tractor

/ Which New Tractor #1  

scudbait

I will buying a new tractor later this year. I have looked at several utility tractors and obtained quotes on package deals from Mahindra, Long, Massey F., and Ford/NH which include a brush cutter, box blade, and trailer. The units that I have been looking at are 40 - 50 HP units, which include;
- Ford/NH 3010S
- Massey F. 231S
- Mahindra and Long models with comparable features and specifications

I plan to purchase a loader for the tractor within 1 or 2 years after purchasing the tractor. I will be using the tractor to clear and cut a 48 acer parcel I purchased in S.E. Texas just north of Houston.

I have been told by relatives to stick to a name brand tractor such as Massey, Ford/NH, JD or Case I/H because they have been around for years and its easy to find parts many years down the road.

Please give be some suggestions as to the specifications, features, reliability and any other differances associated with the different brands discussed hear-in and/or comparible brands/models that will meet my needs.

Thanks
Scudbait

/ Which New Tractor #2  
scudbait -

If you do a search on the board, you'll see this subject comes up quite a bit and there are lots of threads that go in to the +'s & -'s of each brand, along with brands "A" vs. brand "B".

Without going in to the details, suffice to say you will find a lot of folks who agree with your relatives regarding staying with a "known" brand. That being said, you will also find a lot of folks who do not concur with your kin. (I have a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/traxer128/tractor_pics>Mahindra 4110</A> myself. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

Assuming you consider one of the "other" brands, there is a place that should be pretty near you where I found the "best deal." It is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topflightequipment.com/>Top Flight Equipment.</A> Again, I won't get in to all the +'s & -'s of various brands (I'm sure others will pick up the torch in addition to having it in the archives), but it wouldn't hurt to drive down and talk with the folks there.

Good luck.

/ Which New Tractor #3  
Well here are my OPINIONS /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Any good tractor is good.. reguardless of brand... However if you aren't the handy type, I would stick with a brand that you can get serviced if you need to.

I'll comment on the NH and MF as I've had both and used both. The MF's are real good basic tractors.... not much change in features and designs in the last 20 years.. generally nice and big and stought and lotsa tractor hp for your buck compared to many other big three brands... Although I have noticed as of late that the MF's aren't as heavy as similar hp models of other brands.
Unless you are doing landscaping, you will find that more tractor weight equals more usable traction.
A personally like some of the NH models.. except the TC series.... kinda light for me.. but I hear they are great.
The 3010S has the same feel and look of the older 70's through late 90's ford / NH tractors. It is an economy model, but don't let that scare you.. I test drove one at the dealers.. and it is a whole lotta tractor for a good price. The dash and operator area is plain.... but then that doesn't bother me.. I just need an instrument cluster and hand controlls.. no bells or whistles....
I guess this is a shameless plug for the 3010s.

You'll get other comments as well I'm sure.. there is a real big Kubota following on this board.

It seems, in some areas, the kubota is the 'bang for the buck tractor'.. but not in my area.. both JD and Kubota are sky high here, with NH and MF the bargain dealers.

Soundguy

/ Which New Tractor #4  
You might also want to take a look at the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.valtra.com/>Valtra</A> M600 or new A65. It is at the high end of your hp,but well worth a look.

/ Which New Tractor #5  
I would also go for the loader now, maybe a little cheaper now and there will be something each day that it will help with. Also look for 4 wheel drive, always good to have.

/ Which New Tractor #6  
Thats so odd how prices with Dealers vary from region to region.
I have been Shopping for the last couple months here in MD for a sub or compact tractor.
I really like the NH TC-18 but NH are the High Priced boys.
Kubota and some JD middle of the road and other JD dealers willing to deal.

/ Which New Tractor #7  
SubVet -- sent you a private message.

/ Which New Tractor #8  
Sub Vet, You must remember the cost of doing buisiness varies greatly from area to area, insurance, realestate, property tax, wages for your employes etc.

/ Which New Tractor #9  
For me 3 things factored into my decision, price, quality, and dealership. Yes i bought a KIOTI, dealer is about 8 miles from my house and delivered at no cost. I live in MI and jd,and kubota are priced very high. I have a friend who has a mf and he speaks highly of it. My brother has a ford and hasn't had a problem either.

/ Which New Tractor #10  
<font color=blue>price, quality, and dealership</font color=blue>

There is more truth in that than you can imagine. Price isn't everything. Neither is quality. They are both important, but without the support of a local dealer you can trust, you may find yourself sunk. Look at the entire package, including dealer reliability and service after the sale.

Pete