Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #31  
In reply to local motions statement about having 4 tractors for 42 acres, that is what happens when you dont buy what you want or need in the first place. The first tractor my brother in law bought was a 750 JD with turf tires and 2 wd. It would pull a 4 foot BH but get stuck on a wet lettuce leaf. 48" at a time took forever to get across the 42 acres with a mower and much of it has wet spring feed areas that were inaccessible. to this tractor. Then I bought a used Yanmar 4220 4 wd with FEL which had plenty of power for a 6 foot BH but my BIL was still stuck with the 750. He muddled around with it for over a year and then bought a brand new New Holland T2030 with 4WD, FEL and Cab which is what he should have bought in the first place. So he now has 2 tractors. My old Yanmar operater station is so cramped that I can barely get on and off and I am always hanging up on knobs or levers and it gets awful hot on it without a canopy even. It also doesnt have an ROPS on it which we really need in the area of hills and ditches we have. So a couple years went by and after the wife asked me why I dont get a cab tractor for myself, who could argue with that.
So I went looking for a CAB tractor for myself that was big enough to do anything that might come up which is where the forth tractor came to be. Rather than sell the other ones for half of what we paid for them, we still use them occassionally. My BIL usually leaves the post hole digger on the 750 and it pretty much sets under the shed till we want to put in a new corner post or plant a tree or such task. He uses his NH to mow and move hay for his cows. I still use the Yannie when I need a small job or to get under low hanging trees to mow. It wont start at all in cold weather since it has no glow plugs so any winter work gets done with the NEW LS with Cab.
As for not needing telescoping lift arms, whoever said that you can do it easily by yourself is a better person than me. I dont have a good back so I cant lug and pull on equipment very much, so telescopic is the only way to go if you are working alone hooking up heavy equipment. Even a 800# bush hog is too much to man handle and while you can do it, when bother with getting on and off the tractor half a dozen times trying to get just right with the angle and distance to get one lift arm on and not the other and have to struggle and pry. Just get a tractor with telescoping lift arms and be done with it. IF the tractor is a SCUT, I could understand as you arent going to have anything hooked to it that weighs more that a couple hundred pounds, but you dont have to get into 100 HP to have an implement that weighs more than you can move. My 7 foot BH weighs close to #1500 and you arent going to move that with a pry bar.
ANYWAY, that is the explanation for how we have 4 tractors. One would work more than 42 acres on its own now, but I am not a borrower and neither is my BIL. We like to have our own stuff to play with and if we break it, we may help each other fix it, but we seldom borrow, so we stay good buddies that way. We do have a shared piece or two of equipment like the 2 row cultivator that gets used once a year to row up the garden and I have an 8 foot disc that he can use if he wants to disc up, but we both have our own equipment for every other task which is how it should be if you want to stay friends especially if you are relatives.

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner
Your broinlaw is Joe Campa?! Wow. That's one great Chief, that guy.

I dunno where you live that rentals run 100/day but here to rent anything that can do any significant amt of work I'm out $500 to $1000 a weekend.

That's what started this whole quest. The realization I could end up spending on rental what would cost me to
own. If I could get a skid steer or say, a terramite for 100 a day, no doubt that would be the answer but nothing like that here. Where do you live?

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #33  
We have hired out quiet a bit of dozer work and around Bismarck, I get a D6 dozer with operator for $80 per hour. Back hoe $60 and dump truck is $40 when rented with the Back hoe. We have had ponds dug, thorn trees uprooted, stumps removed and hills levelled for building sites. Same price per hour. I do expect his prices to go up with price of fuel rising every day though, as he is already charging $30 per truck load more for crushed slate.

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #34  
Great recommendations all, thank you!

In summary: Don't insist on the big three. Check the less known off brands for more bang/buck. Don't fall for pretty paint colors - it'll get scratched up anyway. Continue renting till the big stuff is done. When I do, get one with a loader, backhoe and grading box minimum. Maybe a forklift for the logs. Buy a small used riding mower for the grass cutting. ( I noticed the big three charge 2200 to 2700 for a mower deck - for which I could get a decent, new riding mower from sears with! and have an easier time mowing, and not rut up the yard).

So, assuming used or new main or off brand, what other make/model numbers would be a good fit for the lighter, long term "estate maintenance". Keep in mind, I do intend to take down a tree or two every so often, say - every quarter, over the next 5 years. So I need something that can dig up those stumps, grade over the stump hole, negotiate well through the woods, drag the tree to a gravel road, and once bucked into bucket lengths, lift, haul and stack the logs for lumber, wood projects or firewood. My goal is to eventually have those 5 acres fairly cleared save for the best, prettiest trees. Like I said, I would eventually spend the same amt over time if I rented a big machine once a quarter ($4000 yr x 5 years = 20k) so I cant shake the idea of buying something that can do it, albeit slower, now.

Another problem I am having out here weighing into my decision - it friggin rains every 3 or 4 days here, almost without fail, so by the weekend when I am free to have delivered a weekend rental and do some work, the soil is nearly always too saturated to do anything with. If I owned the gear, I could bang out a few hours after work on days that occasional days the ground happens to be workable to at least make some headway.

Talking about renting in general, I came to the same conclusion as to renting the machine in advance and getting screwed by the weather man one more time. Thats when I finally got my own tractor and attachments and I can get the job done at a moments notice when the weather is favorable.

As far as what to purchase shop around. I deal with my local Kubota dealer for grass cutters but ended up driving another 10 miles to the local JD dealer and getting a JD because it fit me better as far as comfort and controls. It helped too that the tractor I purchased was the same model that I rented. I knew exactly what I was getting in power and performance. Best wishes on finding the tractor made just for you.

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #35  
LOL no not Joe Campa, I may have put the Wrong rate ,he retired Master Chief. Barret (last name) Lives in Norfolk.

I live in Texas, Dallas/Ft Worth area

I can rent 35-45 hp Tractor with an implement and bucket for less than $100 per day w/ trailer.

Skid steers and the like are of course higher, as is other large specialty equipment.

I only have 15 acres now and a 35HP Kioti w /FEL, box blade, shredder (bush hog), tiller, disc and fertilizer spreader. My place was 95% Oak trees and I have cleared maybe 4 acres, all with my tractor, except larger stumps, Those I hired a dozer operator for a day.

In the 90's I had 376 acres, and 2 tractors, one large Case 2290 and a John Deere 950 (smaller), Again I did most of my own work, but hired out a dozer for the large "stuff". Had pretty much the same implements, but on a larger scale.

Renting was just an Idea, sometimes in can be a better choice depending on the job at hand. I paid $23k for my tractor and implements in 06, bought at the same time. Technically I could have gotten everything I've accomplished for less than half of that if I had hire it out, but then I have a tractor "thang"

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #36  
Thanks for the explanation Gary - makes perfect sense!

I must admit I also used to be a horder of machines - but didn't count them as part of the business as they didn't often go to work!

Regard the link arms - I still beg to differ that it is difficult to hitch up a 3-point linkage without having to man handle the implement. That said, I can see that there are reasons why some people may need them - another idea is to get seperate link balls and quick hitch arms..? Just a thought - but of course it all adds to the final bill!

Out of interest what is the price of fuel there at the moment? Here (Spain) I just paid 1.03€ per litre (approx $6.75 per gallon) for a can of red (rebated) diesel. Normally I buy in bulk, but even that is 0.97€ /litre for 1000L at the moment...

Out of interest what is the price of fuel there at the moment? Here (Spain) I just paid 1.03€ per litre (approx $6.75 per gallon) for a can of red (rebated) diesel. Normally I buy in bulk, but even that is 0.97€ /litre for 1000L at the moment...

Diesel right now in MD is around $4/gal. $3.99 down the street from me - but the jacklegs at my local rental place charged me $7.80/gal to top off the machine I rented a while back - so, they must have thought I was from Spain. :laughing: This also adds to my frustration with renting, tempting me even more to buy.

LOL no not Joe Campa, I may have put the Wrong rate ,he retired Master Chief. Barret (last name) Lives in Norfolk.

I live in Texas, Dallas/Ft Worth area

I can rent 35-45 hp Tractor with an implement and bucket for less than $100 per day w/ trailer.

Skid steers and the like are of course higher, as is other large specialty equipment.

I only have 15 acres now and a 35HP Kioti w /FEL, box blade, shredder (bush hog), tiller, disc and fertilizer spreader. My place was 95% Oak trees and I have cleared maybe 4 acres, all with my tractor, except larger stumps, Those I hired a dozer operator for a day.

In the 90's I had 376 acres, and 2 tractors, one large Case 2290 and a John Deere 950 (smaller), Again I did most of my own work, but hired out a dozer for the large "stuff". Had pretty much the same implements, but on a larger scale.

Renting was just an Idea, sometimes in can be a better choice depending on the job at hand. I paid $23k for my tractor and implements in 06, bought at the same time. Technically I could have gotten everything I've accomplished for less than half of that if I had hire it out, but then I have a tractor "thang"

The 'MCPON' is ever only one person - the Master Chief Petty Officer Of The Navy. The most senior enlisted person in the Navy at the time. Works in the P-gon. Official function is to be the 'Senior liason between the Chief of Naval Operations and the Enlisted ranks. Bit of a Rockstar in our world. Joe Campa was our last one. Great guy. Rick West is our current one. A 'Master Chief', generically speaking, as you probably know, is any E-9 (highest rank in enlisted community) but within that rank, they can fill many different billets, with varying levels of responsibility (and prestige) up to MCPON.

What I could do with a $100 tractor rental in my area! You have encouraged me to look around...or move to TX. My wife is from there - I know this because she reminds me nearly everyday - mostly when its cold/rainy, or the extreme opposite, too hot and muggy - which for this area, is pretty much 80% of the year. Can you tell I hate the weather here?

Last edited:
   / Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #39  
Chief,

Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering where the name came from (Joe Campa). My Brother-in-law certainly didn't have that job:)

Gets pretty darn hot here too, not much of the cold and rainy either. Much cheaper to live here though, no doubt about it.

My wife prefers it here in Texas also and for an "Army brat" that says allot. She has lived from stateside, Okinawa, you know the drill.

/ Help! Tractor buying advice for new land owner #40  
I second Gary Fowler's suggestion to look at LS tractors before you buy.