Price Check Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #1  

woodlandgiant

Greetings,
I'm thinking seriously about purchasing a clean 2000 Kubota B2910 HST with 823 hrs. It has 60"mid-mount mower, brand new R-4 tires, a heavy-duty loader and bucket. It's rated as 29/30hp and a 22 hp PTO. The price delivered with tires loaded with rim-guard is $14,000. It rides nice. I wanted HST so that my wife could drive it.

I have 2 acres open and about 14 acres of woods. I will be using the tractor for snow removal for my driveway and my mother in-law's (next door) and for mowing and field work (moving mulch, chips, compost, topsoil). But for the majority of the time, I plan on using the tractor, a bucket and an Igland winch ($2350), to harvest about 5-7 cords a year from our woods. Originally, I was thinking bigger - like a L3400, but to get an HST is tough under 15k, which was my budget. Plus, the L3400 is bigger and heavier and the more I walk my land and the nooks and crannies, bigger doesn't seem better. Yet, I am most concerned with being able to pull the wood out with the winch - but it's not that far. And I can always strap on some wheeled arch at the end of a load, if needed.

The other piece of related news is my thinking on the numbers. And I'd like feedback on my thinking. I spend about $1100 a year on firewood. I spend another $400 a year on plowing. My mother in-law spends about $800 for wood and plowing. My thinking is that if I spend $17,000 for the tractor, winch and chains and use it for the next 10 years and sell it, I'd potentially be saving $23000 in out-of-pocket costs. In addition, I could sell the tractor for maybe 8-10k in ten years assuming I put another 1000 hrs. on it.

Is my thinking sound? Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #2  
Your numbers are good enough to convince a wife!:thumbsup:

But I wonder about those 'brand new R4 tires'- what did the owner use the tractor for? 843 hours seems like a low number to wear out a set of tires.

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910
Your numbers are good enough to convince a wife!:thumbsup:

But I wonder about those 'brand new R4 tires'- what did the owner use the tractor for? 843 hours seems like a low number to wear out a set of tires.
Day: Hee, hee, yeah, what's good for my wife is good for the evil bean counter in my brain.

The tires are new because the dealer advertised the tractor with R-4's and then when I called to inquire, drove up to look at it, and pointed the turf tires out to him and said what the hay? , he turned around and offered to put new R-4s on.

Thanks!

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #4  
if the tractor will do every job you have for it then buy it.your getting a good deal with the new R4s an rims.

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #5  
A b2910 is a great tractor, and $14K is just about the price these things seem to be going for, in mint condition. I am amazed at how well the price is holding up....per some used ones I've seen on the Internet. I paid around $18k in 2002 for a B2910 with FEL, a 5' brush hog, 6ft blade, 6' landscape rake, 4ft. disk, and single bottom plow.

Before you buy, check the maintenance records closely, as the secret to keeping these things in good shape is to be fastidious about doing the recommended maintenance.

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #6  
I think you're in good shape. The only caution I would offer is that if there are a lot of trees in your yard, mowing with that tractor may not be much fun. I have a 2920, which is about the same thing (just a newer model I guess) and while mowing a field with it is great, mowing around trees kinda sux. That aside, it'll do what you want, and the R4's will be a lot better for the woods. Where's this dealer at, maybe I can buy the old tires he took off your tractor.

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #7  
I would look some more. The B2910 is a great tractor. But, I got a NH TC40D, 450 hours, 6' rotary mower, heavy duty loader, for $ 13.5

For the acreage, and logging, I would look for an L3410, TC35, or similar. Bigger frame tractor,load the tires...

I was originally looking for an L3410. I have always liked Kubota. But this NH turned out to be an excellent tractor. Look at everything out there...

I have to say too, the pedal layout on the NH is nicer than my old Kubota too... I had read threads here, but did not understand till I got this tractor( I had a 20hp "B" series before...).

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #8  
Is my thinking sound? Thanks in advance for your help.

While many folks here seem to love spending something for nothing, I think the asking price is ridiculous. For $3-4k more you can buy that same rig brand new - I'd expect to dish out about $18k at a dealer for a new 2920 w/ loader and mower, based on Kubota's current pricing. That machine's value dropped to $14k the minute it was driven off of the dealer's lot, IMHO. If it had 100 hours on it, then maybe the price is close. Way up at 800 hours, I wouldn't be willing to put out more than $8-10k.

JayC

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #9  
Regions affect the value; out here that tractor in good shape would go in the $12k+ range.

While many folks here seem to love spending something for nothing, I think the asking price is ridiculous. Way up at 800 hours, I wouldn't be willing to put out more than $8-10k.

JayC

/ Check my thinking about a used Kubota 2910 #10  
While many folks here seem to love spending something for nothing, I think the asking price is ridiculous. For $3-4k more you can buy that same rig brand new - I'd expect to dish out about $18k at a dealer for a new 2920 w/ loader and mower, based on Kubota's current pricing. That machine's value dropped to $14k the minute it was driven off of the dealer's lot, IMHO. If it had 100 hours on it, then maybe the price is close. Way up at 800 hours, I wouldn't be willing to put out more than $8-10k.

JayC

X2... That's more than I paid for a brand new, with warranty B2320. Equal to what I could have bought the B2620. Sans the MMM. Just saying.