Which tractor gives the best ride?

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm comparing tractors for the best ride or should I say that beats you up the least. Using the small frame CUT's 18hp to 24hp verses the medium frame size CUT's 27hp thru 33hp. Smaller tires verses the larger tires. Side to side motion. If you take both size tractors over the same semi bumpy terrian which one will ride better and beat you up the least?

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #2  
I think it would be much like a truck. Long wheelbase trucks are a little smoother riding than short wheelbase. I'm sure that would also be true for the width.

Bigger tires will have more mass to absord shock. R4's are stiff and don't give much, turfs would be easier riding and golf tires would be the best. The only thing is, you pick tires for the job, not the ride.

The more important thing (IMO) will be the comfort of the seat. The seat will adsorb most of the shock. The better the shock mechanism of the seat, the better the ride.

Billy

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #3  
My guess, a larger one would beat you up less then a smaller one over the same terrain. More significant would probably have to be which one had the most suspension and padding in the seat. After that its a matter of adjusting to the bumps with your speed. The ride on my tractor has never been an issue. Rat...

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #4  
Yep, like the other guys said, the bigger the tractor and the tires, the smoother the ride in general. And the seat suspension is a big factor in the comfort level.

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #5  
Wider the tire & wheel base I believe the better the ride,and air suspension set doesn't hurt either. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Which tractor gives the best ride?
What I have noticed with the mid size frame CUT's the manufacturers are putting the nicer air ride seats on them but not on the smaller framed CUT's.... which leads me to thinking the larger frames must ride rougher since their putting the better air ride seats on them??? Do you have a higher center of gravity on the larger frame and does this come onto play?

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #7  
<font color=blue>What I have noticed with the mid size frame CUT's the manufacturers are putting the nicer air ride seats on them but not on the smaller framed CUT's.... which leads me to thinking the larger frames must ride rougher since their putting the better air ride seats on them???</font color=blue>

The reason you don't see the nice seat on the small tractor is strictly $$$$$$$. The lower the overall price the more the mfg has to skimp to stay competative.

<font color=blue>Do you have a higher center of gravity on the larger frame and does this come onto play? </font color=blue>

Yes, higher COG. It only comes into play when you the operator are sitting higher. Then when the tractor bounces around, you move more (it's all in the trigonometry). Of course if the wheelbase & track are proportionally bigger, you won't move more. This is why a small compact tractor feels tippier than a garden tractor, higher, but not much wider.

I'n college I took a couple automotive engineering classes. If you are looking for comfort, go for a tractor with a good suspension seat. All the wheelbase in the world will still transmit a shock force to your behind. It's up to the seat to cushion you.

None are going to ride like a Cadillac / Lincoln / pick your favorite luxury automobile

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #8  
The ones with the larger diameter wheels will give the better ride over smaller diameter wheels. Seat may help some on the small diameter wheeled CUT's. As Hazmat said, the more expensive seats are not found (sometimes no room) on the smaller CUT's because of cost.

/ Which tractor gives the best ride? #9  
The wider the wheel base, the longer the wheel base, the fatter the tires, the weight of the tractor and the type of seat suspension are all factor in ride quality. When looking at tractors, even tractors in the same series can have different seats. An example, my MF 1250 has a great suspension seat, but the MF 1240 hasn't been blessed with the same good seat. I wouldn't trade mine for any other standard compact seat that I have seen.

/ Which tractor gives the best ride?
So....From the weight stand point a small frame heavier tractor could conceivably ride better then a larger frame lighter weight tractor because a smaller heavier tractor would hug the ground better then the larger lighter weight tractor. So, filling the rear tires (new option here) could not only act as ballast against the front end loader, but also plant the rear tires firmly on the ground thus stabilizing the tractor better, translating into a better ride?