Buying Advice Purchasing our first tractor

/ Purchasing our first tractor #1  

UncleRico

Hi, all.

I'm new to the forum. My wife and I just bought 15 acres in central Indiana. We're looking to build in November and will need a tractor.

I've looked a little bit and had kind of settled on a Kubota b3200. I plan on doing a lot with it, but don't want to over buy. I have read several threads where people upgraded shortly after their initial purchase--I'd like to avoid that too. I want to watch the budget, but if I have to spend a little more to get something that better fits my needs, I will. I've thought about used, but everything I've seen seems awful high compared to the rough estimate a dealer gave me "off the cuff" (20k w/ a belly mower). I might opt for a rear finishing mower.

I will mow a considerable portion of the land, and plan to use it for other things as well. I'll have a 300ft drive, so I'll need to use it for snow removal too. We'll also have a garden, and probably use it for other landscaping type uses.

Any advice for a first time buyer? I'm not wedded to Kubota, and have heard good things about Massey and others. I don't want to pay a premium for a brand name, so I have written off some outright. Who else makes a solid, budget friendly, tractor?

Thanks,

Ryan

/ Purchasing our first tractor #2  
Hi Rico

You are right to look at other options rather than paying extra for a colour or name. There are a lot of really well made machines out there in the size bracket that you need - and I would definately take some time to visit other dealers or even owners if you can.

I am a big advocate of the value for money offered by Chinese built tractors. While they used to carry a stigma regarding build quality, many of these issues have been sorted out and new models offer the same features as branded machines. Here in Spain we are the sole dealer for Siromer tractors, which are an enhanced version of the Jinma range. The new Jinma's are very well built, would suit your requirements and cost you a fraction of Kubota!

You also need to consider running costs & parts - which again are readily available for the Jinma at a fraction of the cost of better known brands.

Also, given your requirements I#d suggest you definately need to look at purchasing a FEL (loader) to fit which ever machine you buy - especially as you inducate that there will be some landscapong and building work.

Whatever you choose - take you time and enjoy :thumbsup:

/ Purchasing our first tractor #3  
The B3200 will do your landscaping tasks easily. If you are going to do a lot of mowing, is that fine mowing or fields? If it's all turf, you are not going to want too heavy of a tractor. Kubota is a top brand and they are tops in the small utility tractor market. There are some decent competitors however it's not their speciality. Deere, Massey, New Holland are all out there but I believe they are best at big tractors. Kioti is another brand you will want to look at but again Kubota has a better product in the 20-30hp range and I think they become competitive in the 35-50hp - again IMHO.

Best thing to do is go to all the close dealers and try out 25-35hp tractors, test drive, talk to the dealers to see who you like and can do business with. Determine what your potential future needs are as you mention you really don't want to have to upgrade in a couple years.

/ Purchasing our first tractor
Thanks, Localmotion. I'll admit, i'm a little leery about build quality, I'll try to give some of the Chineese brands a fair look. I'll def. have a FEL, I forgot to mention that.

Thanks, Kyle. I'll probably have a mixture of both. Fine about 1-2 acres around the house, and field mowing elsewhere. Do you think the 3200 is too heavy for fine mowing? I'll have to look for a Kioti dealer around here. Do you think my needs are in the 25-35 hp range? Is there a big cost jump to the next tier? I tend to over-compensate rather than be sorry later, but not if it costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks, guys.

/ Purchasing our first tractor #5  
I think you are right in the ball park with the B3200 as you could do all of the things mentioned with a smaller tractor, so you have already factored in the added size. My personal preference would be the B3000 as it has position control and some more amenities than the B3200, but won't really do anything the B3200 won't.

I would certainly look at some other top brands like John Deere, Kioti/Bobcat, NH, MF etc., but I personally will not buy one of the Chinese machines. I realize some people like them, but support in my area is no existent and quality issues in the past still gives me concern.

/ Purchasing our first tractor #6  
I was in a similar situation about a year ago. I have 11 acres and needed a 20-25hp tractor for multiple jobs around our place. I shopped the area dealers, Deere, New Holland, Kubota and Mahindra. In the end I bought the Deere 2520.

Any of these brands would have been fine and price wise they were all competitive; however, in the end my positive previous experience with the Deere dealer sealed the deal. Make sure you are happy with the dealer you buy from.

As far as pros and cons of the various tractors features, be sure that you look at the difference between a quarter inching valve and a position control 3 point. If you are using the three point for mowing, tilling or blading you will want the position control.

I almost made the mistake of buying a tractor with the quarter inching valve and I would have been very unhappy with that decision.

/ Purchasing our first tractor #7  
I just purchased a new LS 5020 and I am extremely pleased with the purchase. I live in central Indiana myself and had been looking at all the major brands but what sold me on the LS is the extra leg room and the controls layout just seemed to fit me. The fact that it comes standard with 2 hydraulic remotes, FEL . Plus the probably biggest reason was I trust the dealer to take care of me after the sale. If you know how to get to Ellettsville stop by Richards Small Engine. I have purchased 2 tractors off of him and cant say enough good about his ethics and prices. He just got in another shipment of new models but the other batch he had went fast.

Richard's Small Engine - Your Source for Sales, Service, Pick up & Delivery!

I looked at Kubota, Kioti, New Holand really all the colors but was just really impressed with the LS. I picked it up last weekend and worked it most of weekend and have been on it most of the day today.

My biggest recommendation is when you climb up on the tractor and sit in seat and when you dismount if it feels natural to you it will be comfortable to run as well as in my opinion safer because you do not feel out of place. I will start a new post with pics. Good luck with your purchase! btw where in Indiana I live near Greencastle.

/ Purchasing our first tractor
Thanks to all who posted the latest batch of responses. I'll be sure to look into position control, as I'm not sure what that is.

Thanks, xrsrfn. I will check out Richard's. I'm in Greenfield, only about an hour or so away from you.

Ryan

/ Purchasing our first tractor #9  
As others have said, there are a lot of good quality tractors out there. I like that you have said you aren't wedded to any brand at the moment.

Dealer service should be at the top of your list. I predict price won't be that different when you compare equals. Spend some time getting to know the dealer so you will have a better idea of who will provide service down the road.

When I bought my first tractor I didn't think I needed a front end loader. Then I used my brothers and as we laughingly say - he cost me another $3,000. I like having a quicktach bucket and also like the ease of taking my entire loader on and off. Just be sure to label each of the lines before unhooking them (don't ask me how I know that!)

With 15 acres I would guess that a loader would come in very handy, but you may not agree. Just do yourself a favor and try a loader before you decide against it.

Good luck making the choice that fits your situation.

/ Purchasing our first tractor #10  
One thing I would add is not to forget the implements when budgeting. Are you going to need a rototiller (landscaping now, gardening later)? A box scrapper is a must (get a good one) but doesn't really cut it for ditch installation and maintenance where a rear blade is a good choice. Are you going cut firewood or clear brush? Add a grapple of some sort and make sure the tractor has remote hydraulics to run it. Does the property have fields that will need mowing/brushing? You'll need a rotatory cutter of some sort. The list can go on and on and is different depending on the type of property and the task that need to be performed.

When all is said and done, a tractor without implements is not very useful but to buy everything new really dings the wallet. When I was faced recently with the same decision I decided to go used. I got a good package deal which left money to buy the two things the deal didn't have (rear blade and pressure washer). My only regret (so far :)) is that I wish I would have gone with a brand that had a dealer close by for parts and service.