Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #11  
You get what you pay for. And if you want something to last you either after to spend more money, or scratch long and a hard to find a good old machine (like a wheelhorse, gravely, JD). If it were me, I'd put another $1K to $1.5K on the buy and look for a used JD 318, 420, 430, 425, or 445. The 425 can be had with all wheel steer and a 54" deck for about $3K to $3.5K. It'll out perform and outlast anything you'll buy new for that money. All shaft driven, even the mower. Lots of outstanding attachments. Super Heavy Duty transmission. Drives like a dream, 13" turning radius, power steering, hydraulics. I've had mine going on its 18th season. Haven't changes a belt. Other than routine maintenance, total repair costs have been $75. I mow about 1.75 acres is about 1.5 hours, and can do it in an hour if I go fast, and I have many many things to mow around. BTW, it's one heck of a snow mover too. At 1400 lbs, it weighs twice what those inexpensive mowers do.

My neighbor has a JD130 he bought at Home Depot. It seems OK for is 3/4 acre. He's had it about 4 years and the tranny is already started to whine alot. I'm guessing he's got 2 - 3 more years left before the tranny gives out. And all he does is cut grass and pully a little cart full of brush once in a while. So, $2500 every 7 -10 years with limited abilities, or $3500 for 20 years with much greater utility, strength, and comfort. It's a personal choice.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #12  
Dax,

As I mentioned in my first post the X320 is where the better tranny starts, the X300 has the same K46 tranny as the D100 series.

About financing, if you make a large down payment and finance the balance you can get it for 0% interest if paid in full within the year. Check out the offers on the John Deere Home Page Redirect site.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #13  
I bought a Hi dollar cub since it was $$$ less than a Deere. It has some good things going but the quality is just not there. It is way closer to the Craftsman side than J.D. I have a good dealer, but I have been disapointed from day 1 with the tractor.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #14  
For durability I kind of go motor first then back my way into the rest. Water cooled gas is good. Water cooled diesel is even better. I consider Kawasaki and Honda gas engines the best.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help
Well, test drives are done and I think I have narrowed it down to the Cub GT2000 or the GT2500. I really like the x320, but the Cub was more comfortable to me and the local Cub dealer is incredible. They also sell Toro commercial and two friends of mine who have used this dealer have nothing but great experiences to relate. Plus my father-in-law has been using them for 30 years.

They have a GT2500 w/ a 42" deck, last years 2K series, for $3,200. The GT2000 is $3,599 for the 42" and $3,799 for the 50".

I really wanted to like the GT2500 due to the price difference, but I felt more comfortable with the pedal layout and overall layout of the GT2000. I kept getting my foot stuck under the forward pedal when using reverse. I'm sure I can get used to it, but unless there is another reason you guys can think of besides the price I will probably go GT2000.

Deck size is causing me some grief. I like the idea of the larger deck and even with the large trees on my lot I can fit/use either. But at 2.5 acres with only a 1/2 acre clear I won't see much of a time savings with the larger deck.

I am trying to find a good simplicity dealer to take a look, but I know nothing about them so if I like what I see then I have some research to do vs the GT2000. The closest dealer is 20 miles away....

Thank you all for your help and let me know if you have anything else now that I have narrowed it down.

To those that suggested looking at the used market, just wanted to let you know I did. I do not see anything in my area worth getting and I am in a bit of a time crunch. I really do appreciate the advice, just couldn't get it to work on my timetable.

Also, I am looking at the kubota T series tomorrow, but like the simplicity I know nothing about these.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #17  
Well don't know where you live, but your profile says ravens. So, if in the Baltimore-Washington area those toys you are considering don't compare to this:

John Deere 455 AWS tractor with 54

or this:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/2332371272.html

A little more money (but no sales tax). But, you'll never have to buy another tractor as long as you live. You owe it to yourself to test drive one of these. Then you'll know how inferior those other machines are. Bright and shiny is nice.... until about the 3rd cutting.

Well don't know where you live, but your profile says ravens. So, if in the Baltimore-Washington area those toys you are considering don't compare to this:

John Deere 455 AWS tractor with 54

A little more money (but no sales tax). But, you'll never have to buy another tractor as long as you live. You owe it to yourself to test drive one of these. Then you'll know how inferior those other machines are. Bright and shiny is nice.... until about the 3rd cutting.

Great find. Chantilly is about 2 hours south of me depending on DC traffic. No way to get it here unless I rent a trailer. I'll give the guy a call and see if there is some room on price.

Thanks for taking the time to find that, I appreciate it.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #19  
Without a doubt, you can get more bang for your buck if you buy used. Unless you are uncomfortable with it. Whatever you do (new or used), look for a good tranny above all. I would also suggest you consider bigger than a 42" deck as larger will make trimming easier without running the tires over the plantings or into fences. If you go used, for the same amount you are willing to spend on the Cubs you should be able to find a Jd 420 with a locking differential--something to consider if you plan on plowing snow or adding ground engageing accessories-- but not a necessity. I would also suggest you have the seller (used or new) demonstrate how easy it is to remove and replace the deck. It's important when you need to acess the blades or to prep the machine for snow plowing and non-mowing uses.
I'm glad the Cubs you are looking at have an upgraded tranny, but for what it's worth I've read too many bad reviews on Cubs when I was researching (but then again you'll find bad reviews for every make) but don't ever recall anyone trashing a Simplicity.
FYI, I got rid of the Craftsman (loved the quality of cut, but anytime I tried to use it's small turn radius on any kind of slope, the outside wheel would break loose and spin--so I'm guessing any small radius is going to do the same). I got tired of researching and decided I didn't want to buy another machine that came up short, so I went overboard and got a Steiner. Not recommending it to you as it is over kill.
Don't rush, this is a big decision--walk behind mow for a couple more weeks if needed. Get whatever you are comfortable with, but get a good tranny, a decent sized deck (44"-50") and a good solid frame(11 guage or better--9 gauge would be optimal) Good luck and let us know what you do and post a review.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #20  
Great find. Chantilly is about 2 hours south of me depending on DC traffic. No way to get it here unless I rent a trailer. I'll give the guy a call and see if there is some room on price.

Thanks for taking the time to find that, I appreciate it.

Worth the drive. Worth renting a trailer. Seller did offer to deliver for a small fee.