Comparison Round Balers

/ Round Balers #1  

sandman1220

What is the difference in a manual, electric, and hydraulic tie with round balers?

/ Round Balers #2  
manual- u either turn a round by hand or pull a rope
electric- u have a switch u use to turn a electric motor
hyd- u use a second set of remotes to run a hyd motor that turns the arms to make tie

they also have auto wrap like in a nh baler that u do nothing

/ Round Balers
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at buying a round baler and I've never baled with one so I have very limited knowledge. I've only used our square baler. So I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Thanks again!!!

/ Round Balers #4  
Keep in mind that with Hydraulic tie, you will need 4 lines out the back of your tractor. If you are younger, manual tie is simple and fine. When you get older, that reaching back to crank the manual handle gets a little tiresome. We always keep several nice field ready hay rollers at our Munfordville, Ky store, Call Greg or Brandon and see what they have at 270-524-0385. You might work a trade with them on the square baler?? Ken Sweet

/ Round Balers
I've seen your website before. You seem to keep some good equipment. I'm keeping the square baler and just adding the round baler for the horses that live out 24/7. Everyone that I've talked to are suggesting a good used chain baler given my baling experience. I've got my eye on a couple that have the electric tie. All advice is greatly appreciated!!

/ Round Balers #6  
I've seen your website before. You seem to keep some good equipment. I'm keeping the square baler and just adding the round baler for the horses that live out 24/7. Everyone that I've talked to are suggesting a good used chain baler given my baling experience. I've got my eye on a couple that have the electric tie. All advice is greatly appreciated!!

Greg has several hay rollers that have just came in and are not on his website Sweet Farm Equipment . They are outside loading a disc to go to Illinois and probably can't hear the phone. Give them a call tomorrow and get a update on current inventory. Ken Sweet

/ Round Balers #8  
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at buying a round baler and I've never baled with one so I have very limited knowledge. I've only used our square baler. So I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Thanks again!!!

Just a quick bit of advice about using round balers....

With most square balers (both large and small) the pickup packs out the bale evenly. However with most round balers (with the exception of the best) you need to weave slightly to ensure even fill of the bale - if all the straw is fed into the centre of the pick-up, you will end up with "beer-gut" shapped bales, where as if the majority of the straw goes into oneside of the pick up, you will end up with cone shapped bales! Some balers have electric control boxes with display or gauges to show how evenly the bale is filling.

Also remember to clean out the chamber every night - if it is roller based you need to ensure any material wrapped around the bearings is removed (it's real fire risk otheriwse), while with belt balers you need to ensure grass (especially if cut for silage) has not wrapped around the guide rollers. If you are using a belt style baler and your bales appear to be getting smaller - it will most likely be material wrapped around the rollers causing it.

The real advantage of belt type balers though is that you can vary the size of bale, and a lot less bearings to worry about!

Hioe this helps :thumbsup:

/ Round Balers
YES! Any info definitely helps. I've heard driving appox 10-12 seconds feeding each side of the pick up will get you pretty close to a decent looking bale. Also, making sure that your pick up matches your ground speed so the baler isn't "snatching hay" or you're not bull dozing hay. Fingers crossed:):)

/ Round Balers #10  
YES! Any info definitely helps. I've heard driving appox 10-12 seconds feeding each side of the pick up will get you pretty close to a decent looking bale. Also, making sure that your pick up matches your ground speed so the baler isn't "snatching hay" or you're not bull dozing hay. Fingers crossed:):)

a person with little or no experience with a round baler will defiently do best with an auto wrap system. Believe me, been there done that. with an auto wrap all you do is drive, when the buzzer goes off that your bale is full, you stop the tractor and the baler automatically ties the bale and then you open the tail gate to let the bale out, close the tail gate and off you go again. doesnt get any easier than that