Buying Advice Price point btwn CUV and Midsize

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #1  

dlauffenburger

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5425 w/542 Loader
I have been lurking here for a while and have seen a few threads stating that at certain HP/Price points a mid size tractor ends up being cheaper than a CUV. I have been comparing Kubota, Kioti, and JD for something in the high 30 to low 40 HP range, can anyone tell me at what tractor size do the price even out where the midsize is cheaper or a better buy?

Thanks,
Dave

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #2  
:welcome:
I can't because I don't understand the question.
Is CUV a compact utility vehicle?
Not sure what you are getting at, but hope to learn more from you or others that likely understand better than I. ;)

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #3  
I think he meant CUT, but I didn't really understand the question either.

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize
I appologize for not being more clear in my original post, it made sense when i typed it but after reading it i can understand the confusion.

Roy was right, i meant CUT (Compact Utility Tractor).

Let me try to clarify my original question.

I have seen several post where there have been purchase recommendations telling the buyer to move up to a mid size tractor vise buying a CUT, because the mid size tractors are less expensive at certain HP levels (as an example in one post a gentleman was pricing a Grand L Series Kubota and a poster recommended moving to an M series because their cheaper due to size) . While visiting the Kioti, Kubota, and John Deere sites there is an overlap in CUT and Midsize tractors offered in the 30-40 HP range, I am curious if there is a rule of thumb on when it makes more sense to move to a midsize frame tractor. Is it based on HP, tractor weight, etc.

Hopefully this makes more sense than my first post.

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #5  
ok the price of a farm tractor is cheaper than said compact tractor.you can buy like a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/844 fel an ROPS FOR LIKE $26,000.where as said compact tractor with 30hp will cost like $18,000 to $21,000.

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #6  
Welcome. I think in general the break is just over 40hp. For example, a John Deer 4120 (43hp) HST with loader lists for $33,500 and a 5045E (45hp) 3x9trans with loader lists for $29,500. As you want more hp the gap gets bigger, for example a 4520 (60hp) HST with loader lists for $37,900 and a 5075E (75hp) 3x9trans with loader lists for only $34,600. All of these tractors are 4WD and open station.

With Kubotas it is a litter higher. L4240 (43hp) HST with loader is $33,000, a L5240 (52hp) HST with loader is $36,700 and an M5140 (50hp) 8x8 hydraulic shuttle with loader is $34,100. Don稚 know anything about the Kiotis.

The one thing about the true utility tractors (Kubota Ms and Deer 5000E)is they don't have HST transmissions but if you are ok with a gear transmission than you will most likely get a lot more for your money. Hope this helps.

Ed

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #7  
Quite a few CUTs have what I would consider "luxury" equipment and some UTs are pretty basic machines.
An example might be the new Deere 4x20 series CUT vs the 5xxx series UTs. Maybe the buyer wants a cab (which adds quite a few $$$ to the price)...I think they're a waste for most folks, but I don't spend 8 hours a day on a tractor seat.

As far as a hard and fast rule...no, it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

I'm going to suggest those threads dlauffenburger is refering to may be overanalyzing the purchasing procedure.

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #8  
I have been lurking here for a while and have seen a few threads stating that at certain HP/Price points a mid size tractor ends up being cheaper than a CUV. I have been comparing Kubota, Kioti, and JD for something in the high 30 to low 40 HP range, can anyone tell me at what tractor size do the price even out where the midsize is cheaper or a better buy?

Thanks,
Dave

Today most tractors available from Deere are feature laden compared to years ago. It used to be almost everyone had a simple gear tractor and bought the tractor they needed based on size. The 5000E tractors in my view are an extension of that earlier era but also offer mfwd options. Lots of bang for the buck in these models.

I would suggest you consider the tractor that best fits your uses. For instance a 4720 compared to a 5065E which is comparable hp but two very different tractors. The 4720 will shine in tight quarters work with a fel or boxblade for example but the 5065E would be a better choice for open field work and in that environment would be more efficient too.

This is just a hunch but I would suspect most owners of cut's don't do much ag type farming instead they use these small tractors to do a wide variety of jobs from mowing, snowplowing, tilling to light loader work on smaller scale properties. Most of us find the hydrostatic tractors to be more convenient for these operations.

For larger scale properties where you may deal with hay operations and open field work the larger frame gear tractors are a better choice. Even here you still have the choice to go economy with the E type tractors or upscale with the M type tractors with more gears, reverser options and overall heavier built tractors.

There is a lot to choose from for sure, but take the time to figure out what suits your needs the best. I wouldn't get to hung up on the difference in prices as over the long term the right fit is so much more important.

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all of your valuable insight.

I grew up on a farm but joined the Navy and fell behind times, i just retired and am moving back to the farm so i am trying to get up to speed on current equipment. Man,,, things have changed in 28 years; what used to be as simple as going to the local dealer and finding a descent tractor with the capabilities needed is now more like shopping for a car with the myriad of options (2wd, 4wd, MFWD, sensitrac, HST, etc ...) and new brands i never heard of in the past.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Dave

/ Price point btwn CUV and Midsize #10  
there are so many factors, but generally, if you are looking at the tractor only, your cost per hp will go down as you go up in size. the questions arise about all the other factors:

do you need a 50hp machine to manicure a 1 acre lot?

will you need to spend an extra $30k on a larger vehicle to tow a $20k tractor.

there's a ton more things to consider too. what i do before any purchase is to evaluate what i think is the best size machine for the job, then compare it to ones slightly larger and smaller to see if there is a benefit to any increase or decrease in size and price. don't forget: as your tractor size increases, the size and price of all the implements will too, so it's a few hundred dollars extra for each one of them too. maybe it's worth it to you, but then again, maybe not.

i try never to go into a purchase looking at the price first. i look at the product i need first, then the price. granted, the difference may be staggering, but if you were set on a $15k price, and found out too late that that a new tractor for that price did not do what you needed, then you've got a whole lot of money spent on something that doesn't work. maybe it would have been better to find a $20k tractor that was a couple of years old that you could get for $15k instead.