What tractor do I need?

/ What tractor do I need? #1  

Lee Majors

Tractor
Ls 3033H & Bobcat CT235
I currently own a kubota B1700 that I use for aeration season with my small landscape company. My family recently purchased a 30 acre farm that I will be mostly in charge of maintaining. My poor little tractor isn't capable of much

We have roughly a $15K dollar budget for a bigger tractor and im not sure what to get. I don't know if 4X4 is really needed for every day use?

I need to be able to use a bushog, auger, front end loader, pallet forks, boxblade & tiller.

How large of a tractor do I need to use roughly 3-4 days a week on the farm? Daily chores will be moving compost/saw dust around, tilling new garden beds & pulling & tugging on hoop houses to move them from one growing area to the next.

Roughly 15 acres of fescue grass that will be cut monthly. 5+/- acres of flowers & herb gardens that need tilling and soil ammendments moved around.

What can we get with a loader on it for $15,000? ALSO it needs to have a hydro trans on it.....my mom will be using it often and she does NOT know how to use a manual transmission. :laughing:

A neighbor recently told me of a friend that had purchased a brand new John Deere 50hp tractor for around $16,000. Not sure what model that was but im sure its not what we are looking for.

Im open to all options of new & used. Im new to tractors and not familiar with many of the models. Although I know of the brands I just haven't gotten my feet wet with each any every brands model lineup.

Locally I know we have these brands available: Mahindra,kioti, kubota, new holland, john deere, massey, bobcat & montana.

/ What tractor do I need? #2  
Are you trading in the old tractor? If so you should be able to get A lot of machine for the trade in, and $15000. I would guess guess a 40-50 hp tractor with loader would do what you want. Of course new or used makes a difference. I would point out that a nice machine used with low hours (less than 500,) could be had for close to $20,000. Let us know how you make out.

/ What tractor do I need? #3  
find a mid era ford say a 4600-4610 or a 5610/5610 II or S model.. with a loader.. lotsa hp, in your budget even with a laoder.. and lots of hp.

the later S model 5610 you could even find find with 4wd if you look around.

soundguy

/ What tractor do I need? #4  
I am relatively new to tractors but what determined the size of my tractor was what attachments I wanted to use. I like a little over spec machine rather then riding the minimum HP line. I decided I wanted the BX42 Wallenstein chipper and looked to see what the PTO requirements were for the chipper this moved me up two horsepower sizes in the same frame size cut. Just my two cents, good luck with the tractor hunting.:thumbsup:

/ What tractor do I need? #5  
I am relatively new to tractors but what determined the size of my tractor was what attachments I wanted to use. I like a little over spec machine rather then riding the minimum HP line. I decided I wanted the BX42 Wallenstein chipper and looked to see what the PTO requirements were for the chipper this moved me up two horsepower sizes in the same frame size cut. Just my two cents, good luck with the tractor hunting.:thumbsup:

Often very good advice to pick your implements then decide what it takes to power them as someone has said, without implements a tractor is just a slow ride to the mail box.