Price Check John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #21  
Just doesn't seem to make sense on it's face. How is he going to sell your used tractor? Even if he doesn't make a profit on it...... who would buy used when NEW with warranty is only $500 more?? :confused:

My momma always told me there is no such thing as a free lunch. :licking:

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #22  
I have a feeling this deal is legit. I have friends, not smart ones:laughing:, who drive GM's. Our local dealer has been nearly giving away trucks for the last 4 months. The only thing that is fishy is that they are doing deals like this to make the sales numbers look good. It makes GM look as if they have gained the confidence of the American People once again. The numbers look good but the profits are in the dumps. Its all about bragging rights, customer loyalty, and keeping the employees working.

Here is a example. One guy Adam, had a 2007 Avalanche with 60,000 miles. 4x4, 5.3, leather, navigation system, backup camera.

He traded it in for a brand new, nearly no money, 2010 2500HD 6L with 4x4. Its cloth but came with $4,000 37" wheels and tires, 4" lift, spayed in bed liner, carpet bed liner over that, bed cover, Chrome everything, Tinted windows, ect. All dealer installed options with warranty.

Companies can make money many of ways. Getting loyal customer base is the long term goal and this is what they are shooting for with so much competition out there.

JD has been doing this for a few months now. A neighbor has a 790 with no loader. He was stuck the other day so I went to pull him out. He was telling me he looked at a loader for it and they wanted nearly $5000. For less money they would trade in his 790 and give him a new tractor, loader, and belly mower. Not sure what he decided to do?
Chris

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #23  
You guys have me wondering if I need to go say hi to my local JD dealer. I wonder if they will take other brands in trade?

Eddie

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #24  
Maybe your rims or made out of Gold and he knows it.
Thats about the only way I can see this happening.

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #25  
I have a feeling this deal is legit. I have friends, not smart ones:laughing:, who drive GM's. Our local dealer has been nearly giving away trucks for the last 4 months. The only thing that is fishy is that they are doing deals like this to make the sales numbers look good. It makes GM look as if they have gained the confidence of the American People once again. The numbers look good but the profits are in the dumps. Its all about bragging rights, customer loyalty, and keeping the employees working.

Here is a example. One guy Adam, had a 2007 Avalanche with 60,000 miles. 4x4, 5.3, leather, navigation system, backup camera.

He traded it in for a brand new, nearly no money, 2010 2500HD 6L with 4x4. Its cloth but came with $4,000 37" wheels and tires, 4" lift, spayed in bed liner, carpet bed liner over that, bed cover, Chrome everything, Tinted windows, ect. All dealer installed options with warranty.

Companies can make money many of ways. Getting loyal customer base is the long term goal and this is what they are shooting for with so much competition out there.

JD has been doing this for a few months now. A neighbor has a 790 with no loader. He was stuck the other day so I went to pull him out. He was telling me he looked at a loader for it and they wanted nearly $5000. For less money they would trade in his 790 and give him a new tractor, loader, and belly mower. Not sure what he decided to do?
Chris

I think Chris may have BINGO'ed.

The deal sounds logical for John Deere if they truly are stuck with a line that is hard to move due to changes in the market place.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=139892 Look at post #7.

This kind of high quality used equipment will bring more $$$ than it cost JD to build the new model. The dealer does not have to DISCOUNT any green paint (a big plus in the eyes of JD). The three year old customer (if not longer) gets direct proof it "pays" to buy green due to trade-in values alone.

JD has "bought" customer loyalty in a current customer and has more green customers now due to the used JD sale. They hit their new sales numbers and dump depreciating slow moving models in the process.

It is a game but the profits on new sales looks good on paper and there are more happy JD owners out there supporting the dealership.

Asian/Indian 30 HP tractors can compete well with JD so to keep a share of that market green JD is dealing. They make some $$$ on the $205K price tractor you can bet. :D

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #26  
So........... whether we're talking Chevys or John Deeres, what does the dealer do with a vehicle/tractor they are waaaay upside down on?

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #27  
If this is really from the Deere factory (or corporate management) - why are you the only one to hear of it? Lots of us have 3 yr old paid-for machines in great shape.

Here's the only thing I can think of that makes sense:
There is a hidden recall/liability issue on pre-2008 2520s that Deere has found out about. It's fixed in the 2010+ models. Deere hopes to buy all of them out before it becomes a massive recall/liability issue. There are two parallels I can think of:

1) The Beech starship. Beech produced a plane that was so expensive to support that they bought every used one they could get their hands on to reduce long-term support costs.
the history of the Beech starship

2) Toyota pickups (before they were called tacomas.) The frame rot was so bad Toyota paid 150% of prime book value for all trucks, regardless of condition. It was cheaper than a class-action lawsuit. As an interesting side effect, prices of used Toyota pickups jumped - people who hadn't heard of the recall got burned selling to those who had.
TOYOTA RECALLS 850,000 TRUCKS DUE TO FRAME ROT! - Topix

So if I'm right, you should go out and buy yourself a used 2520 RIGHT NOW.:laughing:

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #28  
Can't beat that deal if all checks out good.:)

Just make sure you full legal ownership with no liens or attachments on the offered equipment.:)

Perhaps the dealer needs what looks like cash flow or machinery movement.:confused:

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #29  
I, like many others, will be following this thread very closely...

/ John Deere unbelievable trade-in offer #30  
boy, if this is for real, it does sound like a good deal to me..as long as there are no payments. makes you wonder why they don't just lower the price on the new tractor to attract some new buyers. the reason i shied away from JD was their prices were at the top of the totem pole.