Buying Advice Montana vs Kubota

/ Montana vs Kubota #13  
I'm a little leery of companies that keep changing names or who's dealerships don't seam to stick around for very long. Around here Kioti was a problem, I can't count the number of dealers who came and went. It now looks like the current rental company may make it and keep the line. Oddly enough Bobcat (made by Kioti) is much more stable. I would have no idea where to get a Montana or LS around me.

I wouldn't give Deere, New Holland, or Kubota a second thought about will they be around in 20 years or that parts will not be as easy as talking to the parts guy at one of the 5 Kubota dealers within 40 miles of me.

/ Montana vs Kubota
Yes there is an LS dealer, he also carries the Kiote.

Will the Kubota be able to move the dirt I need to move to dig out a pond? and till the garden? I am reading that it may be too light?

Although the soil is pretty sandy here... in southern GA

/ Montana vs Kubota #15  
Montana as a brand went off a cliff 1-2 years ago. I would sort of agree that the Kubota you mention is a tad light to do much medium work or serious dirt moving and that the Montana is closer to what you're looking to get.

I would check with the LS dealer and see what their willingness to service and support Montanas is. They're the same tractor in a different coat of paint. Provide the model and year and what they're willing to do for you as a customer. Probably not routine maintenance but at least parts support and mechanic work should you need it.

Kubota is as solid as it gets. I might inquire of the dealer if they could get me into anything any bigger/heavier for any reasonable price difference (10-15%....?) for my business.

/ Montana vs Kubota #16  

Will the Kubota be able to move the dirt I need to move to dig out a pond? and till the garden? I am reading that it may be too light?

I have a 2920, just slightly larger than the 2320, and while it's great for mowing (most of it's job for me), there's no way I would try to dig a pond with it (unless your referring to a Koi pond:laughing:). Even with a hoe, it would be much better to rent the right equipment for that, or hire it out (my opinion). It will also be great for tilling.....

/ Montana vs Kubota #17  

I don't have details of the two tractors before me (spec for spec) to compare, but as a SWEEPING GENERALIZATION; Kubotas are "kinda light" compared to the GSKs (Generic South Korean) on a wheelbase for wheelbase, rear wheel size for rear wheel size, horse power for horse power, 3pt lift capacity for 3pt capac... (you get the idea ?) basis.
It seems FINE to have a tractor that is 10% or so lighter for mowing - or 10% more powerful if you take weight as the reference - but for ground engaging work mass in the frame, axles, trans and general "guts" can help.

I don't know where/how Kubota does the weight savings, I don't have one, but I would want to know if I were replacing say a 6,000 lb tractor with a 5,500 lb one.

BTW, almost any tractor can run a forward rotating rototiller - they tend to "help the tractor along" - reverse rotation tillers tend to hold the tractor back, i.e. need more power. Reverse rotation does a more thorough job on the first pass, so can save you some passes, time & fuel.

For pond digging; Yeah, get someone in with a dozer for that.
A point in favor of smaller/lighter tractors - if they're small ENOUGH you might be able to pull them out with a pick-up truck when they get stuck.
If you get a big ENOUGH tractor - you may want to carry the phone number of that dozer guy anyway.

I wouldn't worry about parts availability for LS built tractors.
Cross referencing of parts and "also used on" info is likely available to dealers.

/ Montana vs Kubota #18  

Definately look into the Kioti's. I'm real happy with mine, and since Bobcat sells them in a different color that should say something about their quality.

/ Montana vs Kubota #19  
Montanas dont seem like a dependable tractor I've seen some guys out here with one and i know one guy who sold his because of hydralic issues Kubotas are a tractor I probably wont buy. A good friend of mine is having problems with his L3130 and is deciding over a New Holland or a Deere. I own and drive Deere's and New Hollands and never run into any problems, but thats just me.

/ Montana vs Kubota #20  
Montanas dont seem like a dependable tractor I've seen some guys out here with one and i know one guy who sold his because of hydralic issues Kubotas are a tractor I probably wont buy. A good friend of mine is having problems with his L3130 and is deciding over a New Holland or a Deere. I own and drive Deere's and New Hollands and never run into any problems, but thats just me.

Montana's were just like all the other tractor suppliers, they had economy tractors along with the more deluxe machines. Every manufacturer-supplier has a lemon every once in awhile. You have had good luck with New Holland and John Deere. There are others that have had just the opposite experience. The biggest problem with Montana's is that they are on their way or already are out of business, but the tractors themselves were just fine.

Just my opinion. ;)