$2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #1  

SrChf

Bronze Member
Tractor
None...YET!! :)
Being a RCH away from buying a BX25 with MMM, I cannot shake the thought that I am going to dislike mowing my lawn with this big thing (considering I prolly need to take off the backhoe and front loader each week to do it) as compared to just firing up and hopping on to a new tight turning riding mower for about the same cost.

I see there are two ways to look at this - a second machine is more maintenance, more moving parts, etc, on the other hand, now I can still mow my yard should the BX go Tango Uniform.

So I suppose the main question is to you that mow your lawns regularly with your BX25 TBL (or equivalent SCUT)? If you owned a $2000 riding lawn mower sitting there, would you still hop up on you BX and do your lawn with it?

Granted, it surely depends a lot on the yard. No brainer if you have a massive multi acre field of saw grass to hack down. Mine is one small acre of land of common weeds and (a little) grass, not too many hills but several massive trees to steer around.

Thoughts?

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #2  
Been there done that. I had both, no easy answer, BX mows great and really is not big, and you can keep mower on tractor it's a plus. I had BX23TLB and mmm, but I used the tractor in woods so I took off mmm as not to damage it. Now I use a rear finishing mower that I can drop off real fast, It cuts a path 72" which is really nice. Also have a Craftsman's 48" garden tractor for weekly mowing, I use the RFM if I can't mow weekly.
DevilDog

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #3  
How much lawn? Lots of trees/obstacles? Putting green or pasture?

A cheap- even used- rider will get the job done, from Late April to early October. Then put it away for the winter.

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #4  
I had my fill of cheap riding mowers long ago. We have a John Deere 425 54" deck sitting unused for the past three years in our barn as we always go for the BX2660 and the JD is certainly not a cheap mower. It takes about three minutes to dismount the FEL.

I am not familiar with the BH dismount on a BX25.

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #5  
Mine is one small acre of land of common weeds and (a little) grass, not too many hills but several massive trees to steer around.

Thoughts?

Year One - bought a riding mower / tractor with 54" deck to mow approx 2 acres. To the naked eye the lawn looks quite flat. Given the relatively small wheels & short wheelbase, I soon discovered there were many small humps / bumps and the ride was fairly rough. Year Two - got a JD 3320 TLB with MMM. Ride is much smoother, no appreciable rutting / compaction of the lawn. I usually mow with the FEL / BH attached so total weight is probably in the 5,500# range.

I still need the riding tractor for under some trees, a couple of inside corners and for maybe the first cut or two in the spring if the ground is really wet. The rider is also handy to pull a little cart for yard work or a fertilizer etc.

If I didn't already have the rider, could probably manage quite nicely with the JD and a walk behind self propelled mower.

In your case, with small amount of info, I'd be tempted to try using the BX with MMM, it wouldn't be that much higher than a rider, but if you leave the FEL / BH attached and you have inside corners there may be a problem.

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #6  
Well, I would never trade the BX for a cheap rider. Removing the FEL and BH are not that hard. The only problem is, in the manual it says that you cannot have the BH & MMM on at the same time. I don't understand this because our BX came from the dealer with the BH, FEL, and MMM on at the same time and it seemed to work fine. :confused: In any case, I would not waste 2k on a rider...IMO...

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #7  
Another vote for the BX 25 with the MMM. I have a $2000 (I actually think it was a little over $3K) Troy Bilt ZTR. The Kubota kicks it's butt all over the place. Granted, I have mostly flat and straight mowing with few obstacles, but the cut, ride and "fun factor" are all better on the BX25!

As mentioned earlier, the hoe and loader are easily parted. The more you do it, the easier it gets! Also, I have a 3PH with mine and it spends more time on the tractor than the hoe does. I just drop the FEL and mow. There are trimes where I will mow 2, 3 times without need for the FEL.

To sum it up, the BX is a very versatile machine. Use it to it's full potential!

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #8  
Blade maintenance on a cheap riding tractor is often a chore to near impossible. I'd go with the MM as others have suggested.

Guess your FEL loader bucket isn't removable by itself? On my 4010, it can be removed quickly by taking out a couple pins and putting it on something so that the bucket doesn't sit as low as the arms will go. It's just held there with a couple loops and 2 pins.

Wouldn't think you'd need the back hoe on all the time.

Ralph

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #9  
Being a RCH away from buying a BX25 with MMM, I cannot shake the thought that I am going to dislike mowing my lawn with this big thing (considering I prolly need to take off the backhoe and front loader each week to do it) as compared to just firing up and hopping on to a new tight turning riding mower for about the same cost.

I see there are two ways to look at this - a second machine is more maintenance, more moving parts, etc, on the other hand, now I can still mow my yard should the BX go Tango Uniform.

So I suppose the main question is to you that mow your lawns regularly with your BX25 TBL (or equivalent SCUT)? If you owned a $2000 riding lawn mower sitting there, would you still hop up on you BX and do your lawn with it?

Granted, it surely depends a lot on the yard. No brainer if you have a massive multi acre field of saw grass to hack down. Mine is one small acre of land of common weeds and (a little) grass, not too many hills but several massive trees to steer around.

Thoughts?

The BX25 with either a mmm or rfm is a reasonable sized mower for one acre, if needed add a small push mower to trim with. I would venture to say that after the initial work is done that most of the summer use will be with the mower deck on and fel and bh removed.

/ $2000 MM or $2000 Riding Mower #10  
I have both MMM and a separate rider. I ALWAYS go w/ the MMM. It is very easy to remove everything from the GC, be it MMM, BH, FEL. I have a lot of hills and feel much safer on the GC. The Gravely is now for sale.