Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Default Re: Zero Turn vs. Tractor

No way I would run my ZTR in 6 foot tall grass. Knock it down with a brush hog, then use the ztr for finish mowing. If you only need new yards knocked down once consider hiring the brush hogging done, then take over with the ZTR.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
    No way I would run my ZTR in 6 foot tall grass. Knock it down with a brush hog, then use the ztr for finish mowing. If you only need new yards knocked down once consider hiring the brush hogging done, then take over with the ZTR.
    2X on that.

This is our first season to own a Zero Turn (Swisher 60"). The owner of the field behind our church said we could use it of a ball field if we kept it mowed. Last year I got it worked down as low as I could with the 7' bush hog and this year we started out with the Swisher and drop the blade a notch each time.

I have no movement from C1 to the tail bone so I love the ZT because I can spin in place before I cross a road, etc. I am not going to use it as a bush hog for sure since I have one that I can use.

Veteran Member

You are correct that the older gas tractors are easier to work on, and they are also better for frequent starts, and short time operation. A novice can repair many problems which may arise without specialized tools or knowhow. Again, the biggest advantage is minimal cash outlay to get started, and the ability to recover that if you decide its not the right equipment for you. A 3/4 ton pickup and car-hauler type trailer would be needed for hauling such a rig from job to job. That may force you to upgrade your hauling ability and that is the only drawback I can think of.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    +1, great power and very easy to transport.
    +2 I would go for the BX.
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660

Quote Originally Posted by wolc123 View Post
    You are correct that the older gas tractors are easier to work on, and they are also better for frequent starts, and short time operation. A novice can repair many problems which may arise without specialized tools or knowhow. Again, the biggest advantage is minimal cash outlay to get started, and the ability to recover that if you decide its not the right equipment for you. A 3/4 ton pickup and car-hauler type trailer would be needed for hauling such a rig from job to job. That may force you to upgrade your hauling ability and that is the only drawback I can think of.
    I have a 16' x 7" (inside cargo room) open trailer dual axle

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by georgiatwo
    With the diesel engine, how do they hold up being started/stopped several times per day? I go from property to property up to 10 per day as opposed to a farm to where you may not have as much start/stop (cranking).

Does this have any negative effects on the engine?
    Once you get a tractor through its original break in period it is broke in and ready for real abuse. The only thing I would recommend is to take any machine to normal operating temperature once a day when doing frequent up Downs.

Keep in mind diesel tractors are commercial quality machines. The are used by many landscaping companies all over the country.

+2 kubota BX
    Kubota BX2360, 54" Fine Cut MMM, LA243 FEL, BX2789 Rear Snow Thrower

Tractor
    in-between tractors

If the need to work with the vary tall lawns is temporary I would go gas, such 600 or 800 ford )or 8N if cheaper). They will do what you need will likely sell them for what you paid for them. People complain about the lack of used Kubotas for reasonable hours/price. The only way you can make a business case to go for the kubota is to use it for 10+ years.

Tractor
    Kubota BX 2660

I have broken it down into the "types" of lawns I am cutting during each grass season (April 1st - October 31st)

70% Lawns mowed biweekly recuts- height from 2" up to 15"
    15% Lawns mowed- 16" - 36"
    15% Initial Lawn cut over 36" up to 72" w/thick weeds & up to 2-3" saplings.

With that said, we are cutting about 10 properties per day. Would a tractor be feasible turning on/off, loading/unloading that many times per day?

In years past, I mowed thick Johnson Grass that was over 6' tall with my B2710 and 5' Howse 500 brush hog and that worked just fine. Two days ago, I mowed a yard that had been let go and would have been quite a job for a normal homeowner walk behind mower, but it was just nothing for my little Toro ZTR (smallest one they make), but no way I'd expect to mow even waist high stuff with the ZTR. Even when I had a 5' Bush Hog finish mower with the tractor, it had to go slow to do a good job in grass and weeds over 2' tall. But a 30 hp tractor and 5' brush hog along with a 4' to 5' ZTR should handle almost any mowing jobs. Personally, I wouldn't worry about starting and stopping, loading and unloading if I had a decent trailer.
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by georgiatwo View Post
    I have broken it down into the "types" of lawns I am cutting during each grass season (April 1st - October 31st)

70% Lawns mowed biweekly recuts- height from 2" up to 15"
    15% Lawns mowed- 16" - 36"
    15% Initial Lawn cut over 36" up to 72" w/thick weeds & up to 2-3" saplings.

With that said, we are cutting about 10 properties per day. Would a tractor be feasible turning on/off, loading/unloading that many times per day?
    I would not be concerned about starting/stopping the diesel many times a day. I do it on a regular basis and have for many years with no detrimental effects. Changing filters and oil is much more important, along with greasing all pivot points. With the height of the material being cut, I would say a zero turn would be severely taxed to handle the taller stuff. Seems you need two machines, one for short and fast and the other for tall and tough!
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast