Another Chipper Post

/ Another Chipper Post #1  

Sockwell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HSTC,CC/Y EX3200, 1950 8N
We bought a 40 acre farm over a year ago. One of the biggest projects was to clean off the fence rows and around the 5 acre lake. With that, we now have 4 large brush piles and 4 smaller piles. Most of the trees are pines, 4" and smaller. We're also buying mulch by the pallet. The thought is to buy a chipper and use the downed trees for mulch rather than burn the piles.

So, as with most implements bought, time to research it here. I've used the search and read about 10 pages of threads about chippers. It seems the Woods and Wallenstein get good reviews. The one question that I really didn't see a hard answer on was the preference of PTO vs. Engine driven models.

I have two tractors, both with about 25 PTO HP. If PTO driven is best, one could be used to drive the chipper while the other is used for material handling.

The other question is what about the Echo Bearcat? They have the closest dealer.

/ Another Chipper Post #2  
Keep the brush piles. :)

The small animals and birds will thank you.

My chipper hasn't run for 2-3 years, and we have more birds than ever before.

Bruce

/ Another Chipper Post #3  
Just my two cents worth is if you buy a gas powered self operating one you can be more versatile. If you want to go to the neighbors or some one else's place you can just tow it versus getting the tractor and chipper there.. If you buy one and then use it for your needs then want to resell it there would be more of a market for a gas powered one I would think than PTO.
You could rent one for a few days and get the work done if you really need the mulch. Other wise grab some big bratwurst hot dogs a bag of marshmallows and invite the family and friends over for some big bonfire party's.

/ Another Chipper Post #4  
The woods is a relabeled bearcat. They are identical and made by bearcat.

/ Another Chipper Post #5  
I own the bearcat and swear by it. Very robust, amazingly simple, and so far totally bulletproof. I've owned it for 2 years and use it a LOT.

/ Another Chipper Post #6  
Bearcat makes a great chipper, but unless you think you'll have a future need for a chipper, might be better to rent one for a weekend.
You can chip a lot of material in 8 hours...

I've got to disagree with Treemonkey1000 on buying a gas powered unit. For 4" material, you'd want a pretty substantial machine and you're looking at an easy $5000 to buy one.
Also, I'll chip for my neighbors, but I don't lend out the tractor or the chipper.

I've got the Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder with a chipper capacity of 5" material. And, as nspec wrote, they're made by Bearcat. The equivalent to my Woods is the Bearcat SC5540.
Nice chipper/shredder!! The only downside is they don't have a blower chute (but it is an option) and the chips fall under the unit.
BTW, 25 PTO HP is perfect for the SC5540 (or Woods 5000).

So, I suggest you determine your future needs to decide to rent or buy. If you do buy, definitely give those Bearcats a good look. They aren't the cheapest, but they'll last you years.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 296
   / Another Chipper Post #7  
That's the same unit I have. I looked into purchasing the optional blower and was worried about it robbing power from the chipper. Also, I had read a lot of posts about this particular blower/chute being prone to plugging up. Yes, the bottom discharge takes some getting used to, and you may not like it. I have gotten used to it and don't mind. I prefer the compact machine over a big chute. Also, I've never had a plug, and the unit has had some pretty heavy use.

/ Another Chipper Post #8  
I went with a towable gas 4" chipper . It's a promark 210, for $800. I wasn't looking for one at the time . And spent $75 fixing it up . It already paid for itself .
Lately I been pricing a pto 6" chipper for getting tractor and chipper on one trailer one trip. But the price is stopping that idea.

/ Another Chipper Post #9  
That's the same unit I have. I looked into purchasing the optional blower and was worried about it robbing power from the chipper. Also, I had read a lot of posts about this particular blower/chute being prone to plugging up. Yes, the bottom discharge takes some getting used to, and you may not like it.

Yeah, the bottom discharge doesn't bother me at all.

This is a pretty neat video of a Bearcat chipper behind a Deere 110 tractor:
YouTube - John Deere 110 and Bear Cat Chipper Shredder.MOV

/ Another Chipper Post #10  
I bought the Wallenstein chipper and like it mucho. No belts/pulleys, just a pto shaft turning the chipper disk. I aim the chute into plastic barrels, then move a couple at a time with the loader. It's not a shreder tho, small twigs, 1/8" x 10" or so, end up in the mix.. but they're easy to rake out when spreading. My pto is 18 hp (at the low end of the range for the BX42) and I'm chipping right up to it's 4" limit in medium density wood, soft maple and ash (if that's what they are). It runs good at 2000 rpm with up to maybe 3", but for the 4" I go up to 2400 rpm. It self-feeds better at 2400 too with all sizes.

Last edited: