Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-HSTC,CC/Y EX3200, 1950 8N

Default Another Chipper Post

We bought a 40 acre farm over a year ago. One of the biggest projects was to clean off the fence rows and around the 5 acre lake. With that, we now have 4 large brush piles and 4 smaller piles. Most of the trees are pines, 4" and smaller. We're also buying mulch by the pallet. The thought is to buy a chipper and use the downed trees for mulch rather than burn the piles.

So, as with most implements bought, time to research it here. I've used the search and read about 10 pages of threads about chippers. It seems the Woods and Wallenstein get good reviews. The one question that I really didn't see a hard answer on was the preference of PTO vs. Engine driven models.

I have two tractors, both with about 25 PTO HP. If PTO driven is best, one could be used to drive the chipper while the other is used for material handling.

The other question is what about the Echo Bearcat? They have the closest dealer.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: Another Chipper Post

Keep the brush piles.

The small animals and birds will thank you.

My chipper hasn't run for 2-3 years, and we have more birds than ever before.

Bruce

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Just my two cents worth is if you buy a gas powered self operating one you can be more versatile. If you want to go to the neighbors or some one else's place you can just tow it versus getting the tractor and chipper there.. If you buy one and then use it for your needs then want to resell it there would be more of a market for a gas powered one I would think than PTO.
    You could rent one for a few days and get the work done if you really need the mulch. Other wise grab some big bratwurst hot dogs a bag of marshmallows and invite the family and friends over for some big bonfire party's.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    Kubota B2630, '53 Farmall Super H, '47 Farmall AI, '44 Farmall A

The woods is a relabeled bearcat. They are identical and made by bearcat.

Tractor

I own the bearcat and swear by it. Very robust, amazingly simple, and so far totally bulletproof. I've owned it for 2 years and use it a LOT.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Bearcat makes a great chipper, but unless you think you'll have a future need for a chipper, might be better to rent one for a weekend.
    You can chip a lot of material in 8 hours...

I've got to disagree with Treemonkey1000 on buying a gas powered unit. For 4" material, you'd want a pretty substantial machine and you're looking at an easy $5000 to buy one.
    Also, I'll chip for my neighbors, but I don't lend out the tractor or the chipper.

I've got the Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder with a chipper capacity of 5" material. And, as nspec wrote, they're made by Bearcat. The equivalent to my Woods is the Bearcat SC5540.
    Nice chipper/shredder!! The only downside is they don't have a blower chute (but it is an option) and the chips fall under the unit.
    BTW, 25 PTO HP is perfect for the SC5540 (or Woods 5000).

So, I suggest you determine your future needs to decide to rent or buy. If you do buy, definitely give those Bearcats a good look. They aren't the cheapest, but they'll last you years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0636-jpg  
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor

That's the same unit I have. I looked into purchasing the optional blower and was worried about it robbing power from the chipper. Also, I had read a lot of posts about this particular blower/chute being prone to plugging up. Yes, the bottom discharge takes some getting used to, and you may not like it. I have gotten used to it and don't mind. I prefer the compact machine over a big chute. Also, I've never had a plug, and the unit has had some pretty heavy use.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    1428v , 1533 SS

I went with a towable gas 4" chipper . It's a promark 210, for $800. I wasn't looking for one at the time . And spent $75 fixing it up . It already paid for itself .
    Lately I been pricing a pto 6" chipper for getting tractor and chipper on one trailer one trip. But the price is stopping that idea.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by nspec View Post
    That's the same unit I have. I looked into purchasing the optional blower and was worried about it robbing power from the chipper. Also, I had read a lot of posts about this particular blower/chute being prone to plugging up. Yes, the bottom discharge takes some getting used to, and you may not like it.
    Yeah, the bottom discharge doesn't bother me at all.

This is a pretty neat video of a Bearcat chipper behind a Deere 110 tractor:
    YouTube - John Deere 110 and Bear Cat Chipper Shredder.MOV
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

I bought the Wallenstein chipper and like it mucho. No belts/pulleys, just a pto shaft turning the chipper disk. I aim the chute into plastic barrels, then move a couple at a time with the loader. It's not a shreder tho, small twigs, 1/8" x 10" or so, end up in the mix.. but they're easy to rake out when spreading. My pto is 18 hp (at the low end of the range for the BX42) and I'm chipping right up to it's 4" limit in medium density wood, soft maple and ash (if that's what they are). It runs good at 2000 rpm with up to maybe 3", but for the 4" I go up to 2400 rpm. It self-feeds better at 2400 too with all sizes.
    Last edited by jake98; 05-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast