Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: 3/4 Gravel

Around here we get what is called 0 to 3/4 which is dust all the way to 3/4 of an inch. It makes a great drive when packed and level, but on a bad slope, it will wash out. To make a built up level base for a building we use 0 to 6 inch , and then top it with 0 to 3/4 for leveling. Last year this was about $100 per 7 yard load. (2 axle truck) or about 200 for a 3 axle truck or around 16 yards. I try to keep a good friendship with our local dirt/gravel guy. Over the years I have bought many loads of the gravel and of various grades of dirt. And people still ask me "why do you have a tractor?" By the way 7 tons sounds like a lot, but that is about a 10 minute job to move it, and not much more to spread and smooth it. It doesnt go all that far.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

I just had 15 yards delivered in the Redwood City, CA area and it was about $300 for the material and a $200 delivery charge in a "SuperDump" truck, which maxes out at just over 15 yards.

This is a very expensive area, and everything is higher than most parts of the country.

The problem I have with getting smaller amounts delivered is that the delivery charge is the same. One truckload = $200 no matter how much is in the truck.

There is a quarry right next to the local dump and I will frequently fill up the dump trailer with 2 yards of gravel after making a dump run. In general, it is not worth it to make a separate trip, but if I am there already, it only takes about an extra 30 minutes to get weighed, loaded, weighed again and pay.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

If you are looking for rock to prevent washing and still percolate the water like to a french drain, then you want washed river rock or what is commonly referred to as gravel in 1"to1 1/2" size. This has been washed and seived to remove the fines. This gives the best water percolation and wont settle together like crushed stone will. However if you want to stop a wash out, then same sized crushed stone is the best as it locks together better to prevent the aggregate from washing with the water flow.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyDave View Post
    I just had 15 yards delivered in the Redwood City, CA area and it was about $300 for the material and a $200 delivery charge in a "SuperDump" truck, which maxes out at just over 15 yards.

This is a very expensive area, and everything is higher than most parts of the country.

The problem I have with getting smaller amounts delivered is that the delivery charge is the same. One truckload = $200 no matter how much is in the truck.

There is a quarry right next to the local dump and I will frequently fill up the dump trailer with 2 yards of gravel after making a dump run. In general, it is not worth it to make a separate trip, but if I am there already, it only takes about an extra 30 minutes to get weighed, loaded, weighed again and pay.
    do i understand you right,thats its $200 to deliver a semi trailer load of rock + the cost of rock.if thats right then its not bad at all.here a semi load of rock will cost close to $1000 a load delivered.now thats the cost of rock an delivery.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

And I thought I paid way too much...
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

we havent had any hauled in for 20yrs.an even when we had our own dump trucks we rarely hauled in any for the farm.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyDave View Post
    And I thought I paid way too much...
    Your pricing is very close to what is typical here. In 10 years the price has almost tripled.

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Around here we get what is called 0 to 3/4 which is dust all the way to 3/4 of an inch. It makes a great drive when packed and level, but on a bad slope, it will wash out.
    That's the stuff I used for my driveway - called 'nitpack' at the place I bought it. Also called 'hardpack' locally. I surfaced the drive with ~6" - 20 loads, or 480 tons. It was about $225-250/load delivered. It held up pretty well, although it did get a little beat up in a few areas. Should get better each year though as I figure out all the bad spots.

JayC

Tractor
    2008 Kubota M7040 4WD w/loader, 19?? Mitsubishi D2600 4WD w/loader

Around here most dump trucks have one lift axel for a total of four axels and can do ~13 yards. There are a few with two or even three lift axels and I would think they could do all 15 yards for you in one trip if you have these where you are. (pic 1)

Most of the dump trucks here pull trailers and can do up to ~26 yards in one trip. There are two different trailers, the ones that just dump out the back and the ones that the dump truck backs up to the trailer and the bed with all the gravel slides into the dump trucks bed and then he dumps it just like he normally would dump the truck. The second kind they can drop the trailer on the side of the road and dump right when you want (no backing the trailer). If you don't have trucks that could can do 15 yards you could have a truck and trailer come and not need a second trip. (pics 2 and 3)

Around here they don't use end dumps (we call them trash trailers) for gravel so I don't know anything about them. (pic 4)

I would call all the quarries directly and see which ones can bring all 15 yards in one trip and how much it would cost and then go from there.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dump-truck-1-jpg   -dump-trailer-1-jpg   -dump-trailer-2-jpg   -end-dump-jpg  
    The orange tractor - M7040HD, 70hp, Loader, Pallet Forks, and Bale spear
    The blue tractor - D2600 4WD, 30hp, Loader, 3-point bale spear, 5' brush hog, 6' back blade, and post hole digger with 12" auger

It seams like each pit has it's own name for different types. One will call it bank run while another will call it grizzly gravel, either way it's just non crushed gravel that's had the large stone removed. Asking for crusher run will usually get you crushed stone 1 1/2" all the way down to the fines. Some plants will have what they call a plant mix, around here that's usually a 3/4" and smaller that packs real well for a base. One pit actually took me for a ride around the pit on his loader showing me each type they had.

I have found it's cheaper to have someone truck in the gravel than use my international gasser to pick it up. Between registration, insurance, and gas the $60 an hour they charge means I need a lot of trips to balance out the costs.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast