Price Check 3/4 Gravel

/ 3/4 Gravel #21  
I get several loads a year (25 tons +\- in a tri-axle dump truck) the load I got last month was $8.50 \ ton for the limestone (3\4 crush & run) and $8.75 \ ton for hauling (I'm about 40 miles from the quarry here in central WV) so around $450 a truck load (25 tons)
Washed stone will be a couple $ \ ton higher.
Crush & Run is great for roads and driveways as it packs hard, for drainage purposes you will need washed stone.
There is a lot of Limestone here and you can get it anywhere from dust to "Rip Rap" (5 \ 6 ft. chunks) the limestone here is very hard and holds up well, river gravel is usually more expensive and mostly used for landscaping, the river gravel is rounded and various colors and the limestone has jagged edges.

/ 3/4 Gravel #22  
Here are some better pictures of how gravel is delivered around here. The delivery price is the same for just a truck or a truck trailer. I don't know it if works that way where you are.

Attachments

• 100_1683.JPG
    100_1683.JPG
    767.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_1680.JPG
    100_1680.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_1640.JPG
    100_1640.JPG
    861.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_1679.JPG
    100_1679.JPG
    752.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_1676.JPG
    100_1676.JPG
    853.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_1669.JPG
    100_1669.JPG
    797.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_1672.JPG
    100_1672.JPG
    776.8 KB · Views: 283
   / 3/4 Gravel
Nice pictures, we are still on half loads on the road to my place but I will be able to start calling suppliers and at least sound semi knowable, lol. Good stuff who thought we could talk about crushed rock with such passion, eh?
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / 3/4 Gravel
Talked to a local lad he will deliver 15 yards of 3/4 crushed stone, for $375, which seems fair with what you have said here. Thanks again!

/ 3/4 Gravel #25  
Gravel or stone is one thing that is so different from place to place. Around here everything is #... Example #2's, #10's, #53's, ect.

Around here most guys put #2's down to start a drive. I would guess its around 2". They then use #53's that are probably your 3/4's. They finish it off years later with #10's.

Around here its $75 haul bill for a quad axle and the stone or gravel is $14 a ton give or take. Nothing is sold by the yard except mulch. Soil, stone/gravel, boulders, sand, ect is sold by the ton.

Chris

/ 3/4 Gravel #26  
I do a lot of road repair, septic and foundation work. The biggest issue I run into is the confusion over gravel vs. stone. You started the thread looking for gravel, then bought stone.

Gravel is not stone, stone is not gravel. Be sure to know what you are asking for before you have it delivered. Stone is rock, gravel is gravel (and yes it has stone in it). All of it is based on size, in some places it's assigned a number, some places it's the actual size.

I prefer to use the size so there's no question.

Good luck.

/ 3/4 Gravel #27  
I do a lot of road repair, septic and foundation work. The biggest issue I run into is the confusion over gravel vs. stone. You started the thread looking for gravel, then bought stone.

Gravel is not stone, stone is not gravel. Be sure to know what you are asking for before you have it delivered. Stone is rock, gravel is gravel (and yes it has stone in it). All of it is based on size, in some places it's assigned a number, some places it's the actual size.

Good luck.
Good point! Know what you are buying and know what you need!
I will be using maybe fifteen yards of gravel this summer for concrete and drainage and was wondering about ideas on how to get it at a good cost? A regular size dump truck will hold ten yards? So two loads would be needed.

Thanks
atgreene is right, there can be some confusion. Roadmat is a gravel mixture that has a certain percentage of clay and aggregate of a certain size, usually 3/4" to satisfy state requirements. Sometimes a pit will have some that does met the criteria for the clay and can be had for less.

/ 3/4 Gravel
Gravel or stone is one thing that is so different from place to place. Around here everything is #... Example #2's, #10's, #53's, ect.

Around here most guys put #2's down to start a drive. I would guess its around 2". They then use #53's that are probably your 3/4's. They finish it off years later with #10's.

Around here its $75 haul bill for a quad axle and the stone or gravel is $14 a ton give or take. Nothing is sold by the yard except mulch. Soil, stone/gravel, boulders, sand, ect is sold by the ton.

Chris

Yes it was quite a journey here finding all the different terminology for stone (gravel). I asked a local what a load would cost and how much would be in that load and he says it is around 15 yards and $375. So other considerations did not factor in. I imagine if I wanted four tons there would be a delivery fee as the fuel would be near the price of the stone, lol. I am figuring in yards to get correct volumes or quantities. If I pulled into the local quarry they charge by weight also. I will be using the stone for concrete and fill under concrete as to our building code.

/ 3/4 Gravel

Good luck.

Thanks early in the thread I was educated to the difference, which is the reason for the start of the thread in the first place, lol. After getting input from this thread I phone our local guy asking for 3/4 crushed stone and he said he had two types of 3/4 gravel : one for roads with stone and fines (which is what the majority here are calling gravel) and clean gravel no fines used for concrete which is what I want, lol. So potatoe potato but I will be going with the crushed stone for 3/4 without fines for terminology lol. Thanks for all the shared experience.