Price Check 3/4 Gravel

/ 3/4 Gravel #1  

bironacad

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 3045/2010
I will be using maybe fifteen yards of gravel this summer for concrete and drainage and was wondering about ideas on how to get it at a good cost? A regular size dump truck will hold ten yards? So two loads would be needed.

Thanks

/ 3/4 Gravel #2  
Cheapest place is going to be the one that delivers in bulk. One truck is going to be cheaper then two. If you have the room for an end dump, then that would be the cheapest. Be sure to ask if one type of rock, or size is tax exempt. Here, river rock doesn't have any tax on it. If you have more then one supplier, talk to all of them. I have just one that is close, and he's also the cheapest compared to the guys that are further out.

What you are paying for is the truck, the fuel, the driver and most of all, the insurance. The material is always cheap, but getting it to you is what will cost you.

Doing it yourself, in any amount will never save you any money.

Eddie

/ 3/4 Gravel
Most guys running around here have dump trucks with backhoes and deliver the gravel/sand/fill in kind. When you are talking about and end dump what does that mean? I will have some time before the delivery as we are still really wet from the spring thaw. I know fill used to be tax free not sure about gravel. I have viewed your pond several times sure is a beaudy.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
   / 3/4 Gravel #4  
I've found that going to the supplier is where I get the best price. For just a few yards, I get what he has in the yard. If I'm buying a larger quantity, then he will get it from the quary and bring it to where I want it. This is where the savings come from. He's not handling it, just sending his truck out to get it and deliver it. This allows him to pass on some saving to me in my price.

An end dump is an 18 wheeler that dumps out the back. The can haul in the neighborhood of 20 to 23 yards, depending on material and how wet it is. Everything that goes on the road is based on weight, and big rigs are limited to 80,000 pounds total weight without a permit.

Eddie

/ 3/4 Gravel #5  
lets see if i can help you out on dump truck terms.a dump truck is often called a bobtail.an they can hold from 6yrds to 12 or 14yrds a load.end dump is a gravel trailer that is lifted to dump the gravel.end dump or belly dump trailers haul 20 to 25yrds depending on how full you load them.

/ 3/4 Gravel #6  
I will be using maybe fifteen yards of gravel this summer for concrete and drainage and was wondering about ideas on how to get it at a good cost? A regular size dump truck will hold ten yards? So two loads would be needed.

Thanks

Just call around to local dirt n' gravel guys. First, get the lingo right. Gravel is stone mixed with sand - also called crushed bank - used for road beds and such. For drainage, you want crushed stone, which is just that. Everybody uses different names for the same stuff too, so watch out for that - tell the dirt guys what you are doing and ask for recommendations. In my area, crushed stone is somewhere in the $15-20/yard range (delivered). Most places include delivery when pricing, but some do not, so ask.

15-18 yards (20-24 tons) is a normal tri-axle dump load. Ask how much they can bring in one shot. Some places call it 20 yards, but it is really 18. Small 6-wheeled dumps (F750-800 size) generally carry 7 yards. Also, don't be surprised if you end up getting considerably more than you think you'll need - material doesn't go far. I made a little french drain this summer that was only about 100' long - it required a full 24 ton tri-axle load of crushed stone.

I brought in 35 18-yard tri-axles loaded with gravel, stone, and loam this summer. I used a place that was cheap, but charged for delivery by the mile - I paid a boatload for delivery (~$100/truck) but there material was so much cheaper than the close guy that it was still cheaper to pay for delivery.

JayC

/ 3/4 Gravel
Just call around to local dirt n' gravel guys. First, get the lingo right. Gravel is stone mixed with sand - also called crushed bank - used for road beds and such. For drainage, you want crushed stone, which is just that. Everybody uses different names for the same stuff too, so watch out for that - tell the dirt guys what you are doing and ask for recommendations. In my area, crushed stone is somewhere in the $15-20/yard range (delivered). Most places include delivery when pricing, but some do not, so ask.

15-18 yards (20-24 tons) is a normal tri-axle dump load. Ask how much they can bring in one shot. Some places call it 20 yards, but it is really 18. Small 6-wheeled dumps (F750-800 size) generally carry 7 yards. Also, don't be surprised if you end up getting considerably more than you think you'll need - material doesn't go far. I made a little french drain this summer that was only about 100' long - it required a full 24 ton tri-axle load of crushed stone.

I brought in 35 18-yard tri-axles loaded with gravel, stone, and loam this summer. I used a place that was cheap, but charged for delivery by the mile - I paid a boatload for delivery (~$100/truck) but there material was so much cheaper than the close guy that it was still cheaper to pay for delivery.

JayC

Thanks, I definitely don't want 20 tons of something I don't want delivered, lol. I really appreciate the shared experiences we get here.

/ 3/4 Gravel #8  
I have purchased over a hundred yards of 1 & 1/4" crushed stone called "sewer rock" in the last couple of months. This size was the easiest and cheapest to get in my area. My deliveries came in "triple axle" dump trucks carrying 16 to 19 yards each. The going rate in my area is $12 a yard delivered. The delivery runs ranged from 4 to 12 miles.

/ 3/4 Gravel #9  
I guess what you guys call an end dump is a transfer out here. Truck and trailer, where truck disconnects from trailer, then dumps what he has in the bed. Backs up to the trailer, and slides the triler box in to his dump box on the truck. Dumps that, then comes back, hooks up the trailer and goes.

We have a few large dump trucks running around, but not many. They have three rear axle.

Out here, 3/4 crush with sand in it is Asphalt Base. that is what most of my driveway is. If you roll it while it is lightly damp, it dries into a very solid surface.

/ 3/4 Gravel #10  
Most of the aggregate sold here is by the ton. 15-17 yds. in volume is the standard truck size. Shop around at the different pits because you sure don't want "decorator" rock if you are going to bury it! I used to get 3/4" crushed limestone w/fines for the drive but now they only carry 1 1/4" that looks the same. I will be trying a different aggregate that I heard is VERY good for not washing out. When I have tried it I will post an opinion.