new to forum and a question

/ new to forum and a question #31  
post back!

/ new to forum and a question #32  
Anyone have an opinion on Montana tractors? I found this ad today:

Montana 3840 tractor

We have one at work. It has had electrical problems that the dealer managed to resolve. It is a bit on the crude side when compared with the old standbys. Have a look at LS tractors. The dealer we bought ours from is now an LS dealer. I think LS is the same tractor as Montana. He told me Montana has ceased to exist as a tractor brand. I read the "who begat whom" and there were connections with some New Hollands, Massey(?) and others. I got lost in the relationships.

Soundguy is right about parts. We had a guy smash the instrument panel on ours and it took an awful long time to get a replacement.

EDIT TO ADD: We recently removed the Montana's FEL so we could operate a mower in tighter quarters. It took a couple of us, a big hammer and a drift punch to get it free. On my Kubota it's an easy one man / one minute operation.

Last edited:
   / new to forum and a question
post back!

Well, I got a late start so I wasn't able to see all I wanted. The jury is still out.

First stop was the Kubota dealer...I kinda had a bad feeling when I was told that the salesman (they have one, apparently) was 'on a smoke break.' But he did join me a few minutes later. However, he didn't seem very interested in selling tractors today. I told him my requirements, and he suggested a L3800HST. Then he stood there. After about a 30 sec pause, I asked, "is there one you can show me?" "Uh, yeah, I think so." :rolleyes:

So we go out to the lot and he shows me a L3800 with no FEL, but a cutter on the back. "There it is." Um, ok. He rattled off some statistics. OK. I asked some questions. Then he asked if I wanted a brochure. Sure. So he ushers me back into the office without offering/ asking if I wanted to sit on it or start it or anything. No quote. Hmmmmm....whatever.

Next, had trouble finding the MF dealer...so I call, and Im told it closes in 10 minutes, but "I can look through the fence at the tractors." Ummmm, no thanks. I'll come back to them later.

Next was the JD dealer. The salesman there was courteous, and suggested either a 3038 or a 4105. He didnt have a 3038 to hand, but he had a 4105 with FEL in the lot. He suggested we go out and 'tear up the parking lot.' Now we're talking! ;) At least he acted like he'd like to take my money....

It was a HST and he showed me all the bells and whistles, and I toodled around the parking lot and played with all the buttons while he was helping other folks. It looked/felt like a well-made tractor.the fit and finish was very good...... the loader control was very intuitive and the HST was nice (although it whines at low speeds, I guess thats normal?)

Back inside, the JD guy quotes me 19.1k for the tractor, 4.5k for the loader, 2.5k for a rotary cutter (holy cow :confused2: ) and $575 for a box blade, making the whole deal ~ 27.1 k. He did say he'd load the rear tires for free, though ;)

Last stop was the Mahindra dealer, but as I suspected, he was closed by the time I got there. He had a 4010 shuttle and a 4035 HST on his lot, so I sat on them and made 'vroooom' noises like a little kid. The 4035 had clearly been on the lot a while as the steering wheel was faded and cracked, and the instrument panel was fogged up and hard to read. The fit and finish on the Mahindra def did not seem as nice as the JD, but since I couldnt start it or anything I dont know how the mechanicals compare.

So, one good experience, one not-so-good, and two places to return to for more info.

Any thoughts/advice? Things I need to ask on the second round?

/ new to forum and a question #34  
all I can say is before you sign any paperwork.. put your but in alot of seats and test drive.

the quality of most 1st tier makers is about even.. thus it comes down to options and ergonomics and $$. tier 2 can still be int he running as value machines. tier 3 are the super economy machines especialy the chinese imports for our domestic market. $$ is lower.. but you may need more hands on for care and feeding.

in all cases, a good dealer for support and maint is very important, and worth more than a few $ of purchase price or a few miles of delivery / driving.

so make your choices with all those in mind.

Is there a chart/graph/something that shows which different-color tractors are considered apples-to-apples comparisons to one another?

I want to make sure when comparing features/specs that I'm looking at apples-to-apples

/ new to forum and a question #36  
in general, the big 3 are really the big 4.
NH JD KUB MF all for sure top teir players

then you get into a much looser / wider 2nd teir

mahindra, kioti etc.

you also see some new/old names like cub cadet / yanmar I'd easilly hang them somewhere in the top teir..

then you get to the value machines in 3rd teir.

these generally include all the chinese imports for our domestic market.

too many to mention.. foton, jinma.. etc.. etc.. etc..

may also include some of the other players that are smaller or came and went. ( montana, zetor etc.. )

Thanks. How about models? Are all 4000 series JDs directly comparable to all 4000-series Mahindras, for example?

/ new to forum and a question #38  
no...

When you buy a tractor, are ALL dealers of that make able to provide warranty service (like car dealers) or do you have to go back to the dealer you bought it from?

/ new to forum and a question #40  
Dothan area should have a lot of tractors to choose from and I recommend you stick with the better represented brands. Montana may be difficult to get parts for now and in the future. I would pass and keep looking.

I should have been more clear, I used to buy used tractors and equipment in the Dothan area. Lots of large implement yards there in the past.