new to forum and a question

/ new to forum and a question #1  

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
Hello, Im new here and have been reading the 'Hello Im new here' posts to gain wisdom. :)

I have just bought a place w 49 acres, ~ 10 open and the rest wooded...there are some slopes but not terribly so. the previous owner cut the open part with a ZTM and let the rest go, but I am looking at doing some small-scale clearing for a pistol range and other projects, plus there is a perimeter trail that would need to be cleared every few weeks with a bushhog or cutter. So, Im thinking a FEL and a BH/cutter are requirements, but not sure on a backhoe (prob not). I have seen the advice that a tractor set up with a FEL and so on is too heavy to cut grass. True?

My budget is ~ 15k. Is the above too much for a BX- style tractor to handle?

Also, is there such a thing as a wood-splitter attachment for such a tractor?

Thanks, glad to be here. :)

/ new to forum and a question #2  
Welcome to the forum.

I truly love my BX2660, but would not try that with any BX, my minimum would be one of the B Series, I like the B2630/B3030/B3000, but you get good results with the Bxx20 Series and they are cheaper.

When I need a back hoe, I just rent a mini excavator.

I mow with my BX 2660 without a FEL and usually take the FEL off my L5030 HSTC to bush hog. Most models have easily removable FEL's.

You can mow with the L3240 as it is available with a MMM, but the price is going to be really steep.

John Deere, Kioti/Bobcat, Cub Cadet, Massey Ferguson etc. all make comparable models to look at, I am just not as familiar with their models. Give consideration to all before buying. Good luck.

My preference for this size parcel would be two machines, but that may not be economically possible, so you have to look for the closest compromise for all of your tasks.

/ new to forum and a question
Thanks, I wasn't sure how hard it was to remove/reinstall a FEL. I have seen that there are PHD attachments available also, which I like since I have a lot of fencing to do. Is there a min HP that will run an auger?

Also, is there a reason to get either gasser or diesel, or is that the same argument as between a gasser/diesel pickup truck? :D

Thanks

/ new to forum and a question #4  
Kubota FEL are very easy to remove, but be sure any tractor you buy has an easily removable FEL as not all do, especially the TLB models. The FEL on our older model MF requires a kid and two trained monkeys to get off, so it stays on. Our Case CX80 was little better.

We have a PTO operated post hole auger, but they make hydraulic ones. The HP requirements will be listed with them.

I am not a mechanic, but my brothers are and recommend diesels. We do have three old gasser Fords my brothers use, but just for running cutters and light bb use.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...130105-tractor-performance-diesel-vs-gas.html

/ new to forum and a question #5  
Welcome Lman 1967

Well, you know what they say Live and learn.

I have just learned something new.

You shouldn't bush hog with FEL attached?? Is this true and why??

/ new to forum and a question #6  
I have done 700-800hrs of brush-hogging on my property,I never take the FEL off.I use it too much when BHing .Remove rocks and some of my brush I just pop it out and stack it.The bucket also protects the front of the tractor.

/ new to forum and a question #7  
unless you get an older tractor.. you will be getting a diesel.. the last gasser I know of was a cub cadet model back in the late 90's.. and before that if you wanted a gasser it was an lp model.. otherwise most gassers died out in t he 80's or sooner.

For trail cutting you can't get too big.. say.. 26 hp ish.. IE.. a smallish CUT.. or large SCUT.

loader will make it harder to maneuver.. but just get a detachable bucket or loader.. no big deal.. loaders are quite usefull.

soudnguy

/ new to forum and a question #8  
we have a 33yr old tractor with fel,an the fel hasnt been off the tractor 5 times.i use the loader to push stuff over so i can shredd it.the fel has yet tobe taken off the MX5100 HST,an i dont plan on taking it off.

/ new to forum and a question #9  
Someone else may have said not to mow with a FEL, but I think I have been pretty consistent in saying sometimes I mow with a FEL and sometimes I don't. Well, we very rarely MMM mow with our BX, but with rotary cutter, it is on about 50/50.

I get a much smoother ride without the FEL and my 2660 and L5030 "feels" much more stable mowing across slopes, but mowing up and down I keep the FEL on. Our M8540 feels rock steady either way.

I use a FEL in new situations as a "feeler" for stumps etc. and to get me out of a washout.

Kubota offers a KSR for the M8540, but not the others for a smoother ride.

I also find the tractor much more maneuverable sans FEL with much better visibility.

/ new to forum and a question #10  
Hello, Im new here and have been reading the 'Hello Im new here' posts to gain wisdom. :)

I have just bought a place w 49 acres, ~ 10 open and the rest wooded...there are some slopes but not terribly so. the previous owner cut the open part with a ZTM and let the rest go, but I am looking at doing some small-scale clearing for a pistol range and other projects, plus there is a perimeter trail that would need to be cleared every few weeks with a bushhog or cutter. So, Im thinking a FEL and a BH/cutter are requirements, but not sure on a backhoe (prob not). I have seen the advice that a tractor set up with a FEL and so on is too heavy to cut grass. True?

My budget is ~ 15k. Is the above too much for a BX- style tractor to handle?

Also, is there such a thing as a wood-splitter attachment for such a tractor?

Thanks, glad to be here. :)

A $15K budget for a new tractor with FEL puts you in the 20-30 hp range assuming you can find a decent deal from a local dealer.

With that much acreage I'd be looking for a pre-owned tractor in the 40-50 hp range with FEL that's 5-10 years old and in good condition. Something like a Kubota L4400 would do nicely.

With 49 acres to maintain, you need to think ahead 5 years or so to identify the tasks you want your tractor to handle and make your $15K budget match your requirements.