Newbie needs advice, please!

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #11  
   / Newbie needs advice, please! #12  
Well it looks like you have been given some pretty good advice already, I would emphasize keep reading and then asking questions. A few simple abbreviations or term: FEL Front End Loader, 3PT Three Point Hitch, the hitch attachment point on the back of the tractor that implements fasten on to. QA or Quick Attach, or SSQA Skid Steer Quick Attach, means the attachment plate on the Front End Loader (FEL) to allow you to quickly remove the bucket
of the FEL and put some other attachment on, like a set of pallet forks, or round hay bale spears. The Skid Steer part is because they were originilly developed for Skid Steer Loaders (think Bobcat) and they are a standard. There is also a Quick Hitch that goes on the 3PH (back of tractor, remember) that allows you to hook your 3point implements quicker and with less swear words. There are several brands of those, and different schemes, like John Deers I-Match, Pats Easy Change, Carters, etc. Now we come to tires, R1 are Agricultural tires. with a very aggresive tread, R3 Turf tires like on a garden tractor more or less, and R4, Industrial tread, like you would find on a backhoe. You will find a large difference of opinion here on the best tires to have on your tractor, bottom line all tires are a trade-off, you must select the type that fit your terrain, and type of work best. I find that the R4 Industrial type are a good trade off for me. Now comes the transmission selection. there are many, from simple Gears, to Syncronized Gears to Shuttles, in many flavors and brand names. I prefer the HydroStat, for many reasons. But like tires (or even worse) there is a huge difference in opinion on this, but I urge you to drive a hydrostat equiped tractor of any brand before you buy. I think it makes that much of a difference. Now as to buying used, I wish you all the luck in the world, and many here have had good luck at finding a good used tractor at a good price. I did not. I searched for several months, and all I found was worn out junk, and good used tractors at near the same price as new. My first tractor was new, at above the price I had budgeted for it. I got a lot of use out of it, and later traded it for a another new one, just before the Manufacture went out of business. (Long) Be carefull, You cannot go wrong by sticking to the major brands, I happen to like Kubota, But I would not hesitate buying any of the major brands, and even some of the second tier promising up and coming brands. But think it through, and find a good stable reliable dealer of the brand you are interested in. Bottom line is just keep posting, and asking question, and we will all try to help as best as we know how. Like anything else you are going to get differing opinions on a lot of the subjects, but you need to look at the overall response and form you own opinion.. Thanks and good luck.

James K0UA

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #13  
Once you have a tractor with a front end loader (FEL), you might want to look into a ratchet rake. They are now sold through Tractor Supply, although your local one may need to order it.

Ratchet Rake, LLC - Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction attachment, New Holland, Bobcat, Fire safety,

I would also suggest that you not rule out buying new. It will likely overshoot your budget of $15K to get something that will be suited to your needs, but most of the Manufacturers are still offering 0% financing. No one likes to make payments, but it could leave you the capital to buy other things you will need. And you will likely have a lot of years ahead that you can count on a good running tractor plus a couple of years of warrenty coverage. In the Kubota line, a basic L series tractor like the L3800 should
be about $20K.

/ Newbie needs advice, please!
THAT rachet rake is cool! Bookmarked! THANKS!

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #15  
MountainMomma,

I'm going to suggest you consider buying the Compact Tractor Buying Guide, authored by the founder of this TBN forum. There's a link to it on the Home page of TBN. While I have not read it personally, it's written precisely for someone like you who is new to tractors and needs to know the fundamentals.

Beyond that, if you can buddy up with some of your neighbors or friends in the community who have some experience with farm equipment, you can learn so much from them.

I will say this also. This equipment is capable of doing amazing things. The power to lift, pull, push carry and turn things beyond the ability of one, five, ten or twenty strong guys, and it never gets tired. But that strength also means there are a hundred different ways machinery like this can kill or maim an operator who doesn't know what he or she is doing, and it can happen faster than you can say "Oh shoot!". So, please take the time to learn everything you can before you begin to operate your own.

On a brighter note, you'll also find getting work done on your own place is a very satisfying part of owning property. All the best in your plans.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #16  
your going in the right direction as your doing your homework.dont let the need to learn overwhelm you.you can get by with a 35hp tractor if need be on your budget.a good clean tractor is hard to find.an most times they are $3000 or $4000 less than new.after you make the rounds at the dealers,narrow down to the brands you like the most.then go back to those dealers an drive the tractors an see wich best fitts you.

MountainMomma,

I'm going to suggest you consider buying the Compact Tractor Buying Guide, authored by the founder of this TBN forum. There's a link to it on the Home page of TBN. While I have not read it personally, it's written precisely for someone like you who is new to tractors and needs to know the fundamentals.

Beyond that, if you can buddy up with some of your neighbors or friends in the community who have some experience with farm equipment, you can learn so much from them.

I will say this also. This equipment is capable of doing amazing things. The power to lift, pull, push carry and turn things beyond the ability of one, five, ten or twenty strong guys, and it never gets tired. But that strength also means there are a hundred different ways machinery like this can kill or maim an operator who doesn't know what he or she is doing, and it can happen faster than you can say "Oh shoot!". So, please take the time to learn everything you can before you begin to operate your own.

On a brighter note, you'll also find getting work done on your own place is a very satisfying part of owning property. All the best in your plans.

Thanks for that sobering advice. We're trying to do due diligence. I appreciate all the good advice, and the book recommendation. Looked on Amazon.com and couldn't find it... where can I buy it? :D

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #18  
Thanks for that sobering advice. We're trying to do due diligence. I appreciate all the good advice, and the book recommendation. Looked on Amazon.com and couldn't find it... where can I buy it? :D

The Book!

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #19  
From experience STAY AWAY FROM MONTANA!!! I have an R4344 that is now a $23,000 lawn ornament. Diesel fuel pump went and I cannot get a replacement or an answer. Stick with Kubota, Ford, Deere or someone who has been around for awhile

OK...

I bought THE BOOK and am reading it.

I went to two dealerships this past week. I drove a Kubota compact and it was surprisingly manageable. It then rained, so I didn't drive a Kioto, but I have a question. The very experienced salesman at Kioto said that, comparing apples to apples, of the c. 35 horsepower models, the specs reveal that the Kioto tractor is fully 30% heavier. He said this would help me on slopes.

Without starting a firestorm, anyone want to offer advice on whether this observation should seal the deal? Kioto is more expensive by about $1,000 if I buy it outright, and more like $3500 if I finance.

Thoughts?