Newbie needs advice, please!

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #31  
Like James, I am more inclined to buy Kubota, however we do own other brands. Of the two models mentioned, I would buy Kioti. One thing not mentioned is the frequently encountered "jerky 3-point hitch on these models of Kubota, it bothers some but not others.

In an apples to apples comparison ie, a L40 Series, my choice would be the Kubota regardless of cost as they just fit me better. Before buying, go drive both "comparable" models and you will know which one fits you the best.

The good news is that no matter which brand you buy, you will have an excellent machine.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #32  
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new property. You are getting good advice and it sounds like you are moving right along in your search. I thought I would mention a few other things that you should consider before finishing a deal.

Your property sounds like it has rolling hills with some steep places. Many of us would recommend that you have the dealer "load" the tires before delivery. What that refers to is putting liquid in the rear tires, loading them, as ballast. That added weight near the ground helps add stability to the tractor when working on hills. Many of us would not own a tractor that did not have "loaded" tires.

Some tractors have the ability to set the width of the rear tires in different positions. For hilly terrain the widest setting is what you want for stability. I would have the dealer do that for you if it is an option on whatever you buy.

I found the prices you were quoted for a 5' rotary mower to be high. It might be worth shopping around some more. I also wonder if a 6' mower would be better suited for the size tractor you are buying.

A final thought. It sounds as if you have already met some of the local full time farmers. They will most likely know all the dealers in your area as well as their reputations. Discuss your quotes and wants with them and see what they have to say.

Good luck,
MarkV

/ Newbie needs advice, please!
THANKS for all the helpful info!

OK, so here's a curve ball. Our new farm is located in a friendly farming community where we have good contacts and hiring work is not exorbitant. Examples:

1. I have a current bid for clearing many of our multiflora rose bushes (these are huge and probably cover about 1/5 of our acreage, currently) for 40 hours = $2400. The guy would bring his own tractor, spend his gas and time, and use his expertise to pull the rose bushes and put them in burn piles as he went.

2. An excavator will come and ditch/grade/set gravel to about 50' of driveway for about $1,000--cost of all materials, equipment, and labor included.

3. We have realized that post-hole digging is one thing, and tamping/setting posts is another. Since we don't have much time on the farm, hiring fence building seems wise. We have a current bid of 800' 5-string barbed wire (for cows) for $2100.

Now... you see where this is going. Would it not be wise for this first year for us to hire out some of these tractor-heavy jobs? If we put money into fences this year instead of a tractor, and hire out the excavating-type work and rose bush removal, our land can quickly be rented to a neighboring farmer (who has 1000 acres in production with cattle and wants more pasture, and who is friendly and would probably be willing/able to knock down what the cattle don't eat) who would run cows this summer, and this would both minimize the need for bush hogging AND give us status to be able to write off fences on a schedule F, as part of his farm operation, legally.

I know you all love tractors, and buying one is a thrilling prospect, but do you think that for a couple of urban farmer wannabes with limited capital, it seems more prudent to hire as we go?

AND: our grass-mowing needs (for actual lawn around the farmhouse and along our 1/4 mile driveway) are fairly manageable, but I think we need some kind of smaller machine for hauling/mowing. If you agree with the direction above, what size lawn tractor or garden tractor (and make, model, etc. -- or used?) might you steer us towards?

AGAIN: TIA!

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #34  
MountainMomma, if all you are interested in is having the work done rather than doing the work, your model makes perfect sense from a fiscal stand point. As you have gathered, most on here like the DIY approach and derive as much pleasure from the journey as the destination. It would be cheaper for my wife and I to hire out most of our work and our renters would do much of it free, but we enjoy the work.

For mowing, check the many threads on this subject, ZTR v tractor etc., there are a lot of good models out there. My wife prefers her BX2660 over a lawn or garden tractor for its versatility and John Deere X Series are great mowers and so on. Good luck.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #35  
THANKS for all the helpful info!

OK, so here's a curve ball. Our new farm is located in a friendly farming community where we have good contacts and hiring work is not exorbitant. Examples:

1. I have a current bid for clearing many of our multiflora rose bushes (these are huge and probably cover about 1/5 of our acreage, currently) for 40 hours = $2400. The guy would bring his own tractor, spend his gas and time, and use his expertise to pull the rose bushes and put them in burn piles as he went.

2. An excavator will come and ditch/grade/set gravel to about 50' of driveway for about $1,000--cost of all materials, equipment, and labor included.

3. We have realized that post-hole digging is one thing, and tamping/setting posts is another. Since we don't have much time on the farm, hiring fence building seems wise. We have a current bid of 800' 5-string barbed wire (for cows) for $2100.

Now... you see where this is going. Would it not be wise for this first year for us to hire out some of these tractor-heavy jobs? If we put money into fences this year instead of a tractor, and hire out the excavating-type work and rose bush removal, our land can quickly be rented to a neighboring farmer (who has 1000 acres in production with cattle and wants more pasture, and who is friendly and would probably be willing/able to knock down what the cattle don't eat) who would run cows this summer, and this would both minimize the need for bush hogging AND give us status to be able to write off fences on a schedule F, as part of his farm operation, legally.

I know you all love tractors, and buying one is a thrilling prospect, but do you think that for a couple of urban farmer wannabes with limited capital, it seems more prudent to hire as we go?

AND: our grass-mowing needs (for actual lawn around the farmhouse and along our 1/4 mile driveway) are fairly manageable, but I think we need some kind of smaller machine for hauling/mowing. If you agree with the direction above, what size lawn tractor or garden tractor (and make, model, etc. -- or used?) might you steer us towards?

AGAIN: TIA!

There was a similar thread a couple of days ago. My response was along the lines of your thoughts but tractors are nice.:D

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...w-here-looking-some-advice-2.html#post2358966

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #36  
I read your first post, and had a thought, one that I held thru reading the rest, up to this last one.

I think you are on target in getting local help! Not only will the transfer of cash be welcome, but you will learn a great deal about 'farming' in the process. Let everybody (church, etc) know what you are up to, and maybe a "loaner" tractor will appear. Something 20-30 years old, with 5,000 well cared for hours, hopefully with a loader. Every dairy farmer has one that is "retired" from heavy labor, but is used to clean out the barn, maybe pull a manure spreader. There is not a good market for such a machine, because everybody already has one! If you like it and the price is low, you get a starter tractor and he gets to go buy a new(er) one.
By the way, four wheel drive and hydro transmissions are "new"; 30 years ago farmers got by with a clutch, 8 speeds, and a differential lock.

MountainMomma, if all you are interested in is having the work done rather than doing the work, your model makes perfect sense from a fiscal stand point. As you have gathered, most on here like the DIY approach and derive as much pleasure from the journey as the destination. It would be cheaper for my wife and I to hire out most of our work and our renters would do much of it free, but we enjoy the work.

As much as I LOVE LOVE the idea of doing it ourselves, I'm SO aware that we don't know what we're doing. I think the above picture of learning from those who do while we invest our limited $$s this year in community employment makes a whole lot of sense... sigh. But I sure would enjoy the DIY model. THIS year, we HAVE to rennovate the unlived-in-for-30-years-and-there-never-was-a-bathroom (or central heat) farmhouse to make it livable. We therefore have limited $$s and time this year. Each year, we'll hopefully generate more income from the biz we own and operate (assuming the country doesn't go to **** in a handbasket) and we may move to this farm next July. SO... I'm thinking more and more that we should wait at least a year and hire out the "must do's."

Anyone else?

For mowing, check the many threads on this subject, ZTR v tractor etc., there are a lot of good models out there. My wife prefers her BX2660 over a lawn or garden tractor for its versatility and John Deere X Series are great mowers and so on. Good luck.

ZTR?

BX2660... brand? Deere?

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #39  
I think your new option could be a good plan. You will learn a good deal seeing what the locals do and how they do it. Your time is limited and needs to be focused on making the house livable and you will not be jumping into a major purchase like a tractor with limited experience and research.

The prices seemed fair from what we know. The only thing that sounded a bit high to me was 50' of gravel drive for $1000. Guess it depends on what needs doing. You might even ask the person doing the clearing if he can cut ditches and spread gravel with his equipment.

MarkV

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #40  
ZTR?

BX2660... brand? Deere?

ZTR Zero Turn

Kubota BX2660, you can get a front loader, Mid Mount Mower or Rear Finish Mower, tiller etc.

Deere makes good mowers and SCUTs (Sub Compact Utility Tractors. The X700 Series are expensive, but really nice.

Here is a picture of our BX which my wife has taken over and assigned me to our L5030 unless I am on our 8540 then she uses the L5030, BX2660 or John Deere 2305.