Newbie needs advice, please!

/ Newbie needs advice, please!
The prices seemed fair from what we know. The only thing that sounded a bit high to me was 50' of gravel drive for $1000. Guess it depends on what needs doing. You might even ask the person doing the clearing if he can cut ditches and spread gravel with his equipment.

MarkV

Sorry, Mark, I wasn't clear. That $1,000 includes gas/labor/machine transport to site (a real consideration with this farm) and of crushed rock, the rock itself, ditching to an existing culvert on one side of the driveway, grading, and spreading the rock on the drive path.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #42  
Your plan sounds like a good way to get into the pool... get your feet wet before plunging headfirst! Somewhere along the way you will reach a turning point where you find that having your own equipment at hand is more efficient and economical than hiring or calling up your friends for help or trying to do something using manual labor. Until you reach that point, it's sound for you to defer a major investment.

The only caveat I'd mention is that, if life around your new place is anything like our experience, there are a thousand unforeseen, unexpected tasks involved in developing and maintaining property. What you see initially is only the tip of the iceberg, as it were. With your own tools, the work can be prioritized and addressed with some measure of efficiency and economy. Absent such tools, the alternative is you get nickel and dimed to death hiring it all out, you wear yourself out doing things the hard way, or the work isn't done at all.

Here's a real-life example of how things come up... this is what I did yesterday. 85 year old widow across the road from us had a 70 year old tile culvert that was broken and clogged so the dirt road in front of her place would flood every time it rained. Using the tractor with loader and backhoe, I excavated the road and placed a new 20 ft. corrugated culvert. Problem solved... neighbor happy. Easy job with the backhoe; would have been days of backbreaking pick and shovel work. She couldn't have afforded to pay someone to do the job.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #43  
Your plan sounds like a good way to get into the pool... get your feet wet before plunging headfirst! Somewhere along the way you will reach a turning point where you find that having your own equipment at hand is more efficient and economical than hiring or calling up your friends for help or trying to do something using manual labor. Until you reach that point, it's sound for you to defer a major investment.

The only caveat I'd mention is that, if life around your new place is anything like our experience, there are a thousand unforeseen, unexpected tasks involved in developing and maintaining property. What you see initially is only the tip of the iceberg, as it were. With your own tools, the work can be prioritized and addressed with some measure of efficiency and economy. Absent such tools, the alternative is you get nickel and dimed to death hiring it all out, you wear yourself out doing things the hard way, or the work isn't done at all.

Here's a real-life example of how things come up... this is what I did yesterday. 85 year old widow across the road from us had a 70 year old tile culvert that was broken and clogged so the dirt road in front of her place would flood every time it rained. Using the tractor with loader and backhoe, I excavated the road and placed a new 20 ft. corrugated culvert. Problem solved... neighbor happy. Easy job with the backhoe; would have been days of backbreaking pick and shovel work. She couldn't have afforded to pay someone to do the job.

Interesting, I told my wife about MM's decision to defer buying a tractor right now, and she said, "Yeah, but she will still need something to keep the place up. I could not imagine not having our tractor" 79 hours on our Kubota, now, had it for 10 months, and we only have 7 suburban acres. We use the thing all the time. Yesterday we were using it to pull up bushes and small saplings, today we were fixing potholes in the road with it. God knows what we could do if we had a backhoe!..(and some actual dirt):laughing:

James K0UA

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #44  
Inte I could not imagine not having our tractor" We use the thing all the time. Yesterday we were using it to pull up bushes and small saplings, today we were fixing potholes in the road with it. God knows what we could do if we had a backhoe!..(and some actual dirt):laughing:

James K0UA

It's like a pocket knife or a wrist watch- one you have one, you wonder how you ever lived without it!

Of course a CUT won't install the bathroom in their "new" farmhouse. . .

/ Newbie needs advice, please!
Interesting, I told my wife about MM's decision to defer buying a tractor right now, and she said, "Yeah, but she will still need something to keep the place up. I could not imagine not having our tractor" 79 hours on our Kubota, now, had it for 10 months, and we only have 7 suburban acres. We use the thing all the time. Yesterday we were using it to pull up bushes and small saplings, today we were fixing potholes in the road with it. God knows what we could do if we had a backhoe!..(and some actual dirt):laughing:

James K0UA

I hear ya... I think it's 'cause there are so many demands on time/money right now. I can envision doing one thing at a time well better, somehow. I guess if we gain confidence earlier than next year, and God is kind with money, we could always take up the challenge of doing tractor work ourselves... Plus, I bet you're handy, aren't ya?

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #46  
Contract out the heavy and skilled work initially. Watch how they do it so you learn.

Get a tractor anyway as you will need it eventually and might as well start now. 36-40 hp still sounds right.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #47  
pulling up multiflora rose will not kill it. the roots are deep and they will come back.the best way i have found to get rid of it is to spray remedy or crossbow on it .get a back pack sprayer mix remedy and diesel fuel at a 1 to 4 ratio.then spray it . it will come back in places then spray crossbow with water all summer when you see any green. do not bush hog.then disk it over the winter.about a tractor i would find a 5000 series john deere with 4 wheel drive.if they are too much then look for a blue one that has ford on it. auburn used to recommend planting multiflora rose for fences .

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #48  
I hear ya... I think it's 'cause there are so many demands on time/money right now. I can envision doing one thing at a time well better, somehow. I guess if we gain confidence earlier than next year, and God is kind with money, we could always take up the challenge of doing tractor work ourselves... Plus, I bet you're handy, aren't ya?

Well pretty much, yeah, have to keep thing up around the house and around the place, We have always tried to do things ourselves, we do hire things done that we just dont understand or have the tools, but that is a rare thing. I guess part of it is the upbringing, my dad did everything for himself, except bulldozing out a pond, just did not have the equipment, besides the cousin did:laughing: So I guess some of that rubbed off. He did talk the cousin in to letting him run the dozer for a while so he could learn how!. Until I left home I had never lived in a house that my father had not built 100%. I have never built a house, but I have remodeled some. Anyway good luck with everything.

James K0UA

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #49  
cowski said:
pulling up multiflora rose will not kill it. .

Pulling it up then mowing two or three times a year will however. No need for sprays if you intend to mow.

/ Newbie needs advice, please! #50  
if you have to mow it 2 or 3 times a year then you really have not got rid of it.