Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    3130HST, Ferguson TO35

Default Re: THE TALE OF THE 3130

Congratulations on your new purchase. It's great to see someone else as excited about their 3130 as I was mine. My 3010 was a nice tractor-the 3130 is a GREAT tractor. Most everyone has made the mistake of not buying enough tractor, truck, boat, etc to do the job. As you said, it costs quite alot to sell or trade your mistake and buy what you should have. Not to make anybody mad, but when I purchased my 3010HST in Jan 2000, it was $500 more than a B2910. If you can use it, the 3010-3130 is the most kubota for the money.
    That's what I try to do when I purchase any high dollar item. Good luck.

Tractor
    Century 3045

I am Orange with envy! Just curious, where you are in New England and who you dealt with?

The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California

Neither of my two mowers 80" and 84" have a slip clutch. When I hit something with the blades with the brush mower, the blades swing taking the bulk of the hit stress and then the 4 parallel belts eat up the rest. The tractor still has a pto clutch that can slip. My finish mower has one extra spindle so one more set of blades. While it only has 4" more of mowing width, it also has the extra 2 blades that are fixed. They are run by a single belt that also eats up much of the impact. I have not seen the single spindle mowers with slip clutches either although I am sure they might exist. Rat...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    5300 JD 4X4

Rat. don't think the clutch in your tractor pto is made to slip when hitting something with your mower. More likely it will take out some gears or a shaft. Be sure to use the right shear bolts or the right tension on slipclutches on any driveshaft you have when using pto emplements.

The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California

My mowers have no shear pins that I am aware of. My post hole digger does. The Harley rake has a slip clutch. my mowers have belts which take much of the shock from hard hits. The brush hog has swinging blades as well. Thanks, Rat...

Tractor
    kubota l3830 hst/723 fel

Default Re: hey rat

question-multiple dealers[4] have told me not to use a slip clutch on a rotary mower in the wet climate[western washington]they say the clucth may lock up and it may break the tractor.i have been reading that slip clutchs are the way to go but i think the dealers may be right with this climate?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    DK35

I read somewhere [Agtalk?] that you should back off a slip clutch and reset every year before use. bcs

Yes slip clutches do require some maintenance. Back the springs off , make sure the clutch is not frozen, and retension the springs if the attachment has not been used for a couple of months or more. Personally I like attachments that have both slip clutch and a shear bolt. A lot less trouble/cost than repairing my PTO.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    9641 Zetor Forterra

To carry what slowrev said just a step further---when you back off the springs on the slip clutch ,make sure it will slip by turning it --if not by hand, then hook it to the PTO and make sure it slips before tightening it back up. Sometimes they can get really stuck and should be taken apart and cleaned off .

Dancce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12