THE TALE OF THE 3130

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #1  

killerfeet

I'VE SORT OF BEEN LURKING IN THE SHADOWS OF THIS BOARD FOR ABOUT A YEAR. ALWAYS PLENTY OF INFO AND ADVICE. REGRETFULLY, LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME THINKING I WAS READY, I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND BOUGHT A BRAND SPANKING NEW B2410 WITH L302 AND WOODS BOX SCRAPER. TYPICAL NEW ENGLAND DEAL-NO DEAL! WELL, THE OLD BABY LASTED TILL OCT. AND OFF IT WENT TO A NEW HOME. THE PROBLEM WAS, I NEVER ASKED THE QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE BOARD! AS SUCH THE 2410 THOUGH CUTE, WAS WOEFULLY SMALL FOR THE YARD WORK I PLANNED, LIGHT HAULING WITH FEL SOMETIMES ON UNEVEN TERRAIN , GRADING THE 450FT DRIVE AND FUTURE BLOWER FOR THE SUBSTANTIAL SNOW WE USUALLY GET. THE UNIT, THOUGH VERY WELL EQUIPPED HAD SOME FLAWS(THE CLOSE PROXIMITY OF THE PTO LEVER TO THE SEAT CAUSING THE PTO TO BE ENGAGED UNINTENTIONALLY AND WITH GREAT REGULARITY/ THE RELATIVE LIGHT WEIGHT OF THE MACHINE IN SPITE OF POLYFILLED TIRES) ALL THIS DISCUSSED IN POSTINGS ELSEWHERE ON THIS SITE THAT WOULD HAVE ALLOWED ME TO MAKE A BETTER DECISION ON SIZE OF THE TRACTOR SUITED TO MY NEEDS.
SO I SMARTEN UP AND CHECK OUT THIS SITE AND GET AS CLOSE AS IS HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO BUYING, THIS TIME A B2910 FROM MY FRIENDLY STICK IT TO ME DEALER(CAUSE YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IT'S ALL ABOUT THE AFTER SALE SERVICE-LOL). JUST THE MORNING BEFORE I FIGURE I AM ALL SET TO BY THE 2910 (THE DEALER THOUGH APOLOGETIC ABOUT THE 2410 MAKES NO SUBSTANTIAL EFFORT TO MAKE A BETTER DEAL) I REVIEW THE POSTINGS HERE. ONE POSTER HAD STARTED THE BALL ROLLING DOWN HILL FOR ME WHEN THEY DISCUSSED THE NEW GRAND L SERIES. THEN SOMEONE HAS JUST BEEN SITTEN ON ONE-OH JEEZ. ITS BEEN REPORTED THE PICS ARE ON THE ORANGE WEB SITE. I CHECK IT OUT-I AM DONE. THE FIRST THING I DO IS HAVE A SIT DOWN WITH THE BOSS(SHE NEW I WAS SINCERE WHEN THE TEARS STARTED ROLLING). WELL I MUSTERED THE COURAGE TO TELL DEALER WE WERE THROUGH(NOT IN SO MANY WORDS) BUT WHEN I COMMENCED THROWING NAMES AROUND LIKE CARVER AND EMERICH'S AND THE VAST DIFFERENCE IN HER PRICING-IT WAS OVER.
NOW I REALLY GET HOOKED, THIS BABY LOOKS ON-LINE LIKE A REAL MAN'S TRACTOR(NO OFFENSE INTENDED FOR THE B-SERIES OWNERS). I MAKE A FEW CALLS NO ONE HAS A UNIT WITHIN A REASONABLE DISTANCE, SO I TAKE THE PLUNGE AND MAKE A BUY FROM ONE OF THE AFORMENTIONED DEALERS, SIGHT UNSEEN, NO VINYL TO THE BUM, JUST REALIZE THIS BABY IS GOING TO BE A HOT NUMBER, i.e. GRAND L SERIES. I GO ALL OUT AS I AM STILL SUFFERING FROM THE POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER CREATED BY MY 1ST PURCHASE OF A BOTA. I LOAD IT UP WITH HST, THE MID PTO, L217A FRONT BLOWER WITH MID FRAME QUICK HITCH MOUNT AND THE LA723 WITH QUICK DETACH. OF COURSE THE WIFE IS NOW IN MY CORNER AFTER THE BIG TEARY- EYED TALK WE HAD IN LATE OCTOBER.
WELL FOLKS, IN DROVE THE DEALER YESTERDAY WITH MY NEW BABY! WOW, I MEAN REALLY WOW. IT IS ABSOLUTELY ALL THAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT THIS NEW SERIES. FORGET ABOUT THE INTELLIPANEL, JUST THE OVERALL CONSTRUCTION, WEIGHT, BEAUTIFUL LINES, THE LAY OUT AND HEFTY FEEL OF ALL THE CONTROLS MAKES THIS AN INSTANT WINNER. THE LOADER IS ENOURMOUS WITH AN EXCEPTIONAL WEIGHT CAPACITY, A VERY BEEFY CONSTRUCTION AND A NEWLY DESIGNED BOOM (CURVED). THE FULLY ADJUSTABLE TELESCOPING 3- PT HITCH WILL MAKE ATTACHING IMPLEMENTS STRAIGHT FORWARD. THE SPACIOUS COMFORTABLE SEAT WITH ARM RESTS, RECLINES(GOT A COUPLE OF IDEAS FOR USE WHEN THE WEATHER WARMS). BOTA HAS UPDATED THE SAFETY TECHNOLOGY WITH THE SEAT SENSOR. AS FOR THE BLOWER, I'M GOING TO SUB OUT TO THE AIRPORT FOR RUNWAY WORK, THIS BABY CAN MOVE SOME SERIOUS SNOW. BOTA HAS BUILT A VERY HEFTY UNIT, WITH A HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL THAT IS SMOOTH AND FAST. THE FEL HAS THE UPDATED LOCK FEATURE, WHICH LOCKS THE LOADER FROM OPERATION IN ALL DIRECTIONS AS OPPOSED TO THE CHINCY FEATURE I HAD ON THE 2410(IT STILL ALLOWED YOU THE ABILITY TO DUMP THE LOAD ON SOMEONE, ONCE ON MY WIFE BY ACCIDENT!).
THE CONTROLS ARE WELL SPACED -NO INADVERTENT ENGAGING OF ANYTHING. THE ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN DOES SO FROM A FOOT CONTROL. NICE TOOL BOX,GASKETED STORAGE SPACE IN THE REAR OF THE SEAT FOR DOCUMENTS- LIKE MY NAME AND ADDRESS IN CASE I GET LOST.
TYPICAL(GOOD) BOTA ACCESS TO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
THE GROUND CLEARENCE IS EXCELLENT OVER 18" (TOO HIGH FOR THE WIFE-THANK GOD!)
AS THEY UNLOADED MY BABY YESTERDAY, THE ONLY DISSAPOINTMENT CAME WHEN MY WIFE POPPED UP IN A RATHER FIRM TO THE POINT MESSAGE, SAYING-"NO MORE UPGRADES!!"
THE POINT OF THIS DIATRIBE IS THREE FOLD.
1) WHEN LOOKING AT A TRACTOR, REALLY REALLY THINK AND CHECK OUT THE DISCUSSIONS AND ASK QUESTIONS-THERE ARE ALOT OF KNOWLEGABLE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE,WHO MIGHT WELL SAVE YOU ON YOUR FIRST BUY,RELATIVE TO SIZE AND FINDING THE BEST PRICE.
2) IF CONSIDERING A B SERIES GET A DEMO. THEY ARE NOT CHEAP AND IN THE EARLY PERIOD OF ITS LIFE YOU'LL LOSE ON RESALE IF YOU UNDERESTIMATE YOUR NEEDS. THE , EXCUSE ME, I MEAN, MY 3130'S BASE PRICE IS EXCEPTIONAL. AS SUCH, THE UPGRADE TO THIS SIZE TRACTOR MAY BE COST EFFECTIVE IN THE LONG RUN.
3) SIMPLY GLOAT ABOUT MY NEW GIRL.
I KNOW I AM IN TROUBLE WHEN I ASKED MY WIFE WHAT SHE THOUGHT ABOUT ME TAKING OUT THE RANGE ROVER AND PUTTING THE 3130 IN ITS PLACE, WELL CAUSE THE GARAGE IS HEATED- I KNOW YOU'LL ALL UNDERSTAND THAT RATIONALE. STILL HAVEN'T GOT THE VERDICT, I AM WORKIN ON ONE OF THEM TEARY EYED SESSIONS THIS AM THOUGH.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS, AS I PLAN ON TAKING IT SHOPPING TODAY!
GREG

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #3  
Greg:
Your going to /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif your new tractor! Congratulations on your purchase.

<font color=blue>(IT STILL ALLOWED YOU THE ABILITY TO DUMP THE LOAD ON SOMEONE, ONCE ON MY WIFE BY ACCIDENT!).<font color=blue>

<font color=black>I was glad you put the disclaimer "By Accident"
in your sentence and wern't using this mishap
as part of your overall strategy, to convince your wife,
you needed a bigger tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif <font color=black>

Good luck and many years of SAFE tractoring.

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #4  
Congrats on the new tractor!

P.S. - No offense, killerfeet, but it's kind of hard to read your very interesting post in all CAPS.

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #5  
Congrats, that is a nice tractor. I was considering tractors like the 2910 or 3010 but went for the L3130.

Good luck with the wife, I lost that battle along time ago after buying a Silverado. Its another losing battle with the tractor.

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #6  
Greg,

Congratulations on the new tractor. The new L series looks really nice. And I agree, I think that if you have the room and finances, the upgrade from the B to the L series makes sense.

I don't want to put too much of a damper on the moment, but I am a bit concerned about you comment of

<font color=blue>(IT STILL ALLOWED YOU THE ABILITY TO DUMP THE LOAD ON SOMEONE, ONCE ON MY WIFE BY ACCIDENT!).</font color=blue>

I'm reasonably sure your new L will allow you to dump on someone as well. I would suggest that you make sure people are safely away from all tractor implements while they are in use, especially hydraulics and PTO driven implements. As you found out, an accident happens in the blink of an eye. Please be careful.

Good Luck with your new tractor.

~Rick

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #7  
I WANT TO SEE PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #8  
i have the l3830 hst/723 on order cant wait to get it.just need someone to tell me what i should purchase for a 6' medium[or as heavy duty as i can put on this tractor] duty rotary mower without slip clutch and i'll be ready to go.good luck,i,m sure you will love it.

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #9  
Why without a slip clutch ? Did I miss something ? I would advise getting a slip clutch for a rotary mower, unless you know you will not hit anything with it. It is a lot easier on the PTO than those sudden jolts when you break the shear bolt.

/ THE TALE OF THE 3130 #10  
CONGRATS, on your purchase of a new tractor. am sure u will love it. from reading your post, i know u felt that the b210 was not for u, and u felt as tho u should have asked more questions: wonder why u did not again ask for input before u bought the new one? also it might be helpful to fill in your profile a bit, so we have an idea of the size of your property, and your intended use for the new baby/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. if u can think of the question, someone on this forum will have the ans. again WELCOME and good luck.
p.s <font color=red> TRY NOT TO UMP ANY MORE LOADS ON THE WIFE</font color=red> tends to make them grumpy/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif