Comparison Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch

/ Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch #1  

Geoff Hill

Tractor
Luzhong 404
I am considering buying a tractor with a single stage clutch. Are there any significant disadvantages of the single stage clutch compared with the dual stage clutch? I will be running implements such as tow behind mowers, wood chippers and rotary cultivators.

Regards

Geoff Hill

/ Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch #2  
Everytime you step on the clutch to shift or slow down, you will disengage the pto. Not an issue unless you are blowing snow, cutting, or under a load. When you are under a load, restarting that load with the implement full or under load may be an issue. Snowblowing is the best example, sometimes it's nice to let the blower catch-up while letting the tractor sit still, with a single stage the best you can do is kick it into neutral, then clutch and start into the cut again.

I would recommend against a single stage unless you are getting a great deal and can learn to work around it.

Good luck.

/ Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch #3  
I am considering buying a tractor with a single stage clutch. Are there any significant disadvantages of the single stage clutch compared with the dual stage clutch? I will be running implements such as tow behind mowers, wood chippers and rotary cultivators.

Regards

Geoff Hill

You won't notice any difference with the wood chipper as that is a stationary implement, but the mower and cultivator will slow down. However, if the blades of the mower have enough weight (mass), you'd probably be OK if you can shift fairly quickly.
Don't know enough about cultivators to answer.

You'll want an over running clutch if one in't built into the tractor's PTO.

But I do agree with atgreene...you'd better happier with a two-stage clutch for any PTO driven implements.

What kind of tractor are you considering?

/ Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch #4  
Why don't you tell us what the machine is and what you intend to do with it and we can give you a better critique of the machine.

/ Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch #5  

Regards

Geoff Hill

Single clutch does not necessarily mean "transmission driven PTO". most tractors with independent PTO that have hydraulically activated pto do have single clutch. You have two shafts, inner and outer, one that is directly coupled to crankshaft (pto) and the second one to transmission. Transmission clutch is the normal single stage clutch. The second shaft in the diffy operate the pto clutch using a stacked wet clutch pack. That is the combination that gives you most flexibility such as pto activation on the fly and simpler and cheaper main transmission clutch.

JC,

/ Dual Stage v Single Stage Clutch #6  
Single clutch does not necessarily mean "transmission driven PTO". most tractors with independent PTO that have hydraulically activated pto do have single clutch. You have two shafts, inner and outer, one that is directly coupled to crankshaft (pto) and the second one to transmission. Transmission clutch is the normal single stage clutch. The second shaft in the diffy operate the pto clutch using a stacked wet clutch pack. That is the combination that gives you most flexibility such as pto activation on the fly and simpler and cheaper main transmission clutch.

JC,

Yeah, but I don't think the OP would be concerned if it was an independent PTO
I'm guessing this is an older tractor he's looking at...but let's see what Geoff Hill says, if he posts a follow up...