Trying to decide what first tractor is for me.

/ Trying to decide what first tractor is for me. #1  

ranger26

Tractor
Yanmar FX42D
I am looking to purchase a tractor that is capable of mounting forks on that will handle 2000# pallets of bagged hay. I would also need a bucket and three point hitch for bush hog, box blade, etc.
My son-in-law just bought a Montana 545DTC with a 5345 Loader that is supposed to lift 3100#. He got a good deal and he is very happy with his Farmtrac/Montana. My only concern is how easy is it to get repaired and find parts. I don't want get a second mortgage in order to fill this need.

All input is is greatly appreciated.

/ Trying to decide what first tractor is for me. #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Trying to decide what first tractor is for me. #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Trying to decide what first tractor is for me. #4  
My thoughts are... I've seen members mention the outrageous prices for OEM parts... and are looking for cheaper aftermarket prices. So, how good are the replacements parts if they cost an arm and a leg (green and orange). :2cents:

If you can save enough up front... I would not worry about parts down the road.

/ Trying to decide what first tractor is for me. #5  
It also depends a lot on how handy you are. I have limited confidence in my own mechnical ability, so having a reliable dealer nearby was an important consideration for me when I bought my Kioti DK45. As long as you buy the right size unit, pretty much any of the main brands will do the job for you. Brand prejudices aside, different people find different machines fit them better...ie, there is no one, perfect fit for everyone.
So I'd suggest that you make up a short list of suitable tractors (available from reasonably local dealers) and then price shop. Particularly if you are buying new, don't hesitate to try to leverage your purchase decision into some freebees [or discounts] (like extra remotes, filled tires, attachments or whatever)...its worth a try, anyway!
BOB

/ Trying to decide what first tractor is for me. #6  
I am not a mechanic, so I generally stick with new or lightly used name brand (Case, Kubota, John Deere, Massey Ferguson etc.). I don't know anything about the Montana other than no one in my area owns one and never even saw a dealership.

I think rd_macgregor pretty much has it pegged.

Good luck.