Is this a good deal?

/ Is this a good deal? #1  

MountainMomma

Bronze Member
Tractor
None yet
I've been researching compact tractors and have decided that, for this season and as a first step, I'm going to hire heavy equipment needs and go for a mower that can tow dirt/rocks around for smaller landscaping jobs, mow, and (ideally and rarely) plow the driveway if we get stuck there in the snow (not very likely for this winter). I see this ad on CraigsList:

2009/10 John Deere LA165 riding lawn mower. 24 HP Briggs engine, 4 gallon fuel tank, hydrostatic transmission, 48 mower deck with mulching attachment and new bagger attachment. 524 pounds, 45 high, 69+ long and 60 wide (with mower attached). Used one season. Excellent, like new! 16+ hours. Reduced $2155.00

Or, is this a better one?

John Deere 316 riding lawn mower tractor. 48" deck. Oman engine, 18 HP. Front hydralic hook ups, rear PTO, deck is hydralic. Fully serviced, all fluids changed, filters, belts, blades, deck bearings. Ready for summer mowing. Good condition. Estate sale.

I'm not sure what I'm most looking for in this type of garden tractor. Advice as to models most useful/reliable? Also, what's the trade off with new? Will my local dealer service a machine that I buy elsewhere (we are moving)?

TIA!

/ Is this a good deal? #2  
if i was going to buy 1 of those mowers id buy the LA165 for a few reasons.an they are 1.the motor is 6hp bigger 2.the mower deck is 60in vs 48in.so you can mow faster with the bigger deck.i cant tell you to buy local or long distance.thats up to you.i know my tractor dealer is 40mi from me.

/ Is this a good deal? #3  
The OP says both machines have 48" decks.
She doesn't list a price for the 316.
The LA165 is much newer, but is a Lawn Mower.
The 316 is much older but is a Garden Tractor and much better suited to "tow dirt/rocks".
Which is the best deal really comes down to how much dirt & rock (weight) needs to be moved and the condition & price of the 316.

/ Is this a good deal? #4  
I would go with the 316 if it has a loader as my 405 which I am trying to sell has. And it really depends on the condition and attachments.

/ Is this a good deal? #5  
I've been researching compact tractors and have decided that, for this season and as a first step, I'm going to hire heavy equipment needs and go for a mower that can tow dirt/rocks around for smaller landscaping jobs, mow, and (ideally and rarely) plow the driveway if we get stuck there in the snow (not very likely for this winter). I see this ad on CraigsList:

2009/10 John Deere LA165 riding lawn mower. 24 HP Briggs engine, 4 gallon fuel tank, hydrostatic transmission, 48 mower deck with mulching attachment and new bagger attachment. 524 pounds, 45 high, 69+ long and 60 wide (with mower attached). Used one season. Excellent, like new! 16+ hours. Reduced $2155.00

Or, is this a better one?

John Deere 316 riding lawn mower tractor. 48" deck. Oman engine, 18 HP. Front hydralic hook ups, rear PTO, deck is hydralic. Fully serviced, all fluids changed, filters, belts, blades, deck bearings. Ready for summer mowing. Good condition. Estate sale.

I'm not sure what I'm most looking for in this type of garden tractor. Advice as to models most useful/reliable? Also, what's the trade off with new? Will my local dealer service a machine that I buy elsewhere (we are moving)?

TIA!

Well I have the La135SE very close to the LA165, same engine, etc.. it is an excellent lawn mower, but as others have pointed out it is a lawn mower, not made for heavy duty towing or pushing for that matter. the hydro's in them are ok for lawn mowing, but will not take a lot of punishment.. there is a nice thread on here about rebuilding the Tuff Torque transmissions that John Deere uses in them. Also the price is nothing to write home about on that one. You did not mention the price for the 316, but it is a tougher tractor with more capability.. Dont get me wrong, I love my little JD mower, but it IS a mower. I would think a JD dealer would service any JD you drag in there. The LA series are sold by the millions at Lowes and Home Depot. as well as JD dealers.

James K0UA