Thanks to TBN

/ Thanks to TBN #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who has posted regarding pricing on all tractors. As a result of viewing the posts, I will soon get a check in the mail.

I purchased a JD 4010 in June of 02. Before purchasing, I called the dealer closest to me and another larger dealer about 35 miles away. The price at the larger dealer was about $300 cheaper. To me, $300 is not worth a 35 mile drive especially since the closer dealer has the free pickup/delivery. I should mention at this time that before I signed the papers I ask the salesman if there was any additional negotiating room--he said they were as low as they could go, so I purchased the tractor and implements.

Fast forward to early December--about the time I stumbled across TBN. I start reading new and old posts about pricing and I see some price quotes that are less than what I paid for mine, then in January I see a post from Subvet about comparing the 2210 and the 4010 and I notice his qoute is significantly less than what I paid for my 4010. Thinking there might be regional pricing issues, I emailed another dealer for a quote--he comes in about $1400 less than what I paid.

This Monday I fax the quote along with a "straight to the point" letter directly to the owner of dealership. In my letter I gave him the benefit of the doubt stating that since I bought the tractor in June, there may not have been discounts (beyond what they had quoted) in place at that time, but that his response would help me determine where I go in the future.

Last night I received a phone call from the owner. Seems there were some additional discounts in place at the time--the salesman "doesn't know why he missed them, but it may have been a result of this being a brand new model". The owner wants to make everything right so he's mailing out a check for $1200 today.

I started a thread about dealership quality as a result of what I thought was poor service during the sales and delivery process. While I am quick to criticize when I feel things could have been handled better, I am equally capable of giving credit where it's due. In this case the owner stepped up and made things right.

I didn't put this post in JD pricing/buying because it was posts from all tractor owners that made me question what I paid and if there were more incentives available. Not sure why the larger dealer I called during my initial research quoted similar pricing--maybe he wasn't aware of incentive programs either. The bottom line is, I wouldn't have thought to ask had I not found this site.

Thanks Again (A specific thank you to Subvet because by him sharing the numbers he was getting on the 4010, it caused me to take a harder look)

Now for the hard part--the financial conservative in me (generally rules about 99% of what I do) tells me to include the $1200 with my next payment. However, by coincidence, a fellow TBN'er gave me some info on a leaf/grass/debris collection system. The demo video came in the mail yesteday. Approximate cost--$1200. Decisions, decisions.......

Bob

/ Thanks to TBN #2  
Bob,

That's great news! When I was shopping in the spring I had to remind the JD dealer about the incentives (i heard about them here & on JD's web site) even so, he was still high.

I'm assuming you took advantage of the low interest rates. Paying off the loan early isn't going to save you much money therefore: Here's a vote for the leaf collector. You only live once & the trees drop leaves every fall!

/ Thanks to TBN #3  
Congratulations Bob.

This is why it always pays to competitively shop, look for incentives, and question everything dealer sales reps tell you. Research here at TBN, networking with other TBN members, learning everything you can about tractor pricing options, attachments, etc. will go a long way when one walks into a dealer to talk turkey. In some cases and surprisingly so, one may even know more than the dealer when getting prices on different tractor configurations.

Here's another tip....take that $1,200 check and spend it on the attachment you have your heart set on. You can convince your better half of the good fortune you've realized, you both will feel good about this, and it may be easier to buy the attachment now rather than later when the other half has an eye on that $1,200 for a more 'useful' addition to the property. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

.....Bob

/ Thanks to TBN
Bob,
Congrats....always good to hear that a dealer is willing to make things right, especially when it comes to $$$.
Now you can buy more toys...er, I mean tools for the tractor.

Fran

/ Thanks to TBN #5  
Sounds like the owner is a decent sort. Have you thought of giving him the option of paying in $1200 worth of implements or service? You'd still be ahead, but it would lessen the blow and give him warm fuzzies when dealing with you in the future. Just a thought.

As for SubVet, not much gets past us submariners. We're an inquisitive lot.

Pete

/ Thanks to TBN #6  
Shopping for tractors is like shopping for cars about 10 years ago before info became available on invoice price, incentives, holdbacks etc. Bottom line, is you've got to agressively shop, work with several dealers simultaneously and drive a very had bargain. Like with Cars, with tractors, a good rule of thumb is that their list is about 20% above what they paid for it.

Boy, I bet this is going to get some responses.

/ Thanks to TBN #7  
I'd consider giving the Miss's a portion of your windfall, let her go out and spoil herself. A nice way to say I love you. Remember /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif Valentines /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif isn't far away.
Also What better way to butter her up for the next time you "Really Need" her to be on the same wave lenght as you. Like when you want to buy even more attachments.

/ Thanks to TBN #8  
<font color=blue>giving the Miss's a portion of your windfall</font color=blue>

That's a great idea!

Pete

/ Thanks to TBN #9  
I would get her that leaf/grass/collection system for Valentines Day. I'm sure she'll love it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Well, unless you want to sleep with your tractor, maybe that shouldn't be your V.D. present.

I would vote for using the $1200 for the tractor implement. For justification, it will mean more use for your tractor for each month of your regular payments. The more implements you have, the more value you get out of your tractor.

Good Luck

~Rick

/ Thanks to TBN #10  
THATS A GREAT OUTCOME! don't beleive too many dealers would go that far as to issue a check 6 mo after the deal was done. take the $1200 and treat yourself to a new implement or 2