Buying Advice Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision?

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #1  

DMG Tractor

Hello folks, I'm new here and am trying to decide on a machine but having a rather difficult time determining which machine would be best for my needs.
I have very limited tractor background having only operated a Kioti ck20hst and a kubota l3250 gear. That being said I much prefer the simplicity in the operation of HST.
My property size is 51 acres however the tractor is only ever likely to see 16 of those acres. There will be small tree and slash removal. small road building, Log and firewood handling, 6ish acre pasture maintenance, fence building, snow removal and of course landscapin'g. Not likely to be involved in any hay work or heavy forestry work. So I think that puts me in the compact range between 30 and 40 hp. The implements I forsee are Loader with hd bucket, rotary cutter, grapple bucket, post hole digger, snow blower/ power angle blade, box blade, landscape rakes, etc. I was thinking R4 tires (with chains for the winter), at least one rear remote and a true third function on the loader.

The models I am condering are:
kioti ck35hst
Kioti dk 35hst
deere 4105
deere 3320
kubota L3400 hst
Kubota L3800 hst
Kubota GL3240

As far as dealers go.. the kioti guys seem alright and i have heard positive reviews from a neighbor, The kubota guys get mixed reviews most of the negative being based on parts pricing but willing to deal a little a little more on tractor purchase. The deere guys actually scare me a little, they seem cold and unhelpful, however they claim to "look after their customers". The thing i likeabout deere is the size of their support networks for parts etc.

All in all i get exicted about the acquisition of a new tractor.. but after trying to determine what and who to buy from and trying to compare all the options the whole process leaves me anxious and bothered.

Any insight, experiences or suggestions are truly welcome.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #2  
All the tractors you mentioned are capable and of good quality. So, unless you have a personal prefence, I think your tractor selection is a wash. I'd recommend going with the dealer that you feel most comfortable with. I went with John Deere becuase, when it came down to it, it was the closest dealer to me. I liked the Kubota's, Massey Ferg's, and New Hollands that I looked at. And, yes, similiar to your experience, the JD reps are a little cold and acted like they really didn't need to sell the tractor to me. But, have received great support since purchasing the tractor in terms of maintenace and parts support, general implement questions, and warranty work.

Hawk

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #3  
I agree with SLHawkins. All the models you listed would get the job done for sure. I would take a long look at the 3pt hitch on the Kubota L3400 and L3800 before buying one. Many people have reported problems with jerkyness and it looks like you have a lot of 3pt implements in your plans. I just bought a L3240HST and settled on it because although I thought the Deere models were very nice, I felt like I got more for my money with Kubota vs. deere for comparable models and I didn't want to deal with any 3pt hitch problems with 3400/3800. Also, the HST+ transmission on the L3240 is NICE :thumbsup:

Another way to pick: Drive them all and which ever one gives you the biggest smile, thats the one to choose.:D

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #4  
Pretty much in agreement with SLHawkins and Mpking as all will get the jobs done well. The jerky 3-point on the 3400-3800 would be a no go for me, but I love all the Kubota L40 Series. My preference would be the 3540 over the 3240.

The "best" is going to be the one that fits you and has good dealer support. Spend as much time as they will let you testing them and just sitting on them checking out the location and operation of the controls.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #5  
Consider what size rotary mower you would like to run. Some of the models you list will support a 6' mower and some a 5'. The rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of mower.

MarkV

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #6  
All the tractors you mentioned are capable and of good quality. So, unless you have a personal preference, I think your tractor selection is a wash. I'd recommend going with the dealer that you feel most comfortable with. I went with John Deere because, when it came down to it, it was the closest dealer to me. I liked the Kubota's, Massey Ferg's, and New Hollands that I looked at. And, yes, similar to your experience, the JD reps are a little cold and acted like they really didn't need to sell the tractor to me. But, have received great support since purchasing the tractor in terms of maintenance and parts support, general implement questions, and warranty work.

Hawk
I had to laugh about the "coldness" of the John Deere Dealers you all have mentioned. I also have found them to be a little rough around the edges. I would say this, when I am going in to buy a $40,000-$60,000 piece of equipment, I don't care what the attitude is. At that point I have done my homework, and it boils down to price, and support. I would not even be in the place, if I did not know they had good support. I also would say that you need to read, and understand your warranty, before you buy, and you need to be hard nosed up front about what you expect from them. As far as what brand to buy, you are doing the right thing by asking around, and searching this site. You also need to think outside the box, when you are negotiating. In my case the last TLB I bought was the same price at two dealers. I was not able to get a better price. I was however able to get the one dealer to Fill the rear tires for free, and give me a much better price on a third function valve. On top of that he delivered it for free. Good luck, and remember to do your homework.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #7  
Well, "coldness" may or not be significant. In my case my "friendly" dealer has been very good on offering low price to free service calls, parts drop off, very good prices on additional equipment, notification calls prior to warrant expiration so any issues could be addressed.

We own red, green, orange and gray.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #8  
drive all the tractors you have listed an then decide wich 1 you want.an then start dealing with a dealer on what you want.now on the sub of dealers.i called a dealer to check on a used massey tractor a year ago,an every1 at the store was to busy to take time answer my qs.so i then called another store that they owned.i told them what i wanted an again got the i dont have time to answer your qs call the other store.well i told him i did an they said they was to busy to talk.an that i didnt have time to play their games.so he said well you got the owner an ill answer your qs an he did.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #9  
The implements I forsee are Loader with hd bucket, rotary cutter, grapple bucket, post hole digger, snow blower/ power angle blade, box blade, landscape rakes, etc. I was thinking R4 tires (with chains for the winter), at least one rear remote and a true third function on the loader.

With the implements that you have listed out, I would be considering 2-3 rear remotes. You say that you want hydraulic angling, there's one remote. You want a box blade, it would be a good idea to have a hydraulic top link and that is still only 1 remote. But if you keep that hydraulic top link on the tractor while using the rear blade, now you need 2 remotes. With the implements that you have listed out, it looks like you expect to do a lot of grading. If you end up doing any grading in my opinion, you will be a lot better off with a hydraulic side link to be able to easily adjust the side to side angle of either the rear blade or the box blade or the landscape rake, now you need 3 rear remotes for the rear blade. If you get a box blade with hydraulic actuated rippers, then you are at 3 rear remotes needed for that.

Now of course none of these are truly needed, you can get off of your tractor every few minutes, sometimes seconds and adjust these points manually. Most people just don't make the adjustments and live with the poorer quality grading job or it just takes them that much longer to get the end result that is wanted or needed. Only pointing out some of these things in case you may not even know about these options. You may not even mind making these adjustments when you first get your tractor, but one thing that I am 100% sure of and that is not one of us is getting any younger and getting off and on the tractor over and over gets old real fast.

Just a few more things for you to think about. ;) One last thing, well not just one.:laughing: Of the brands that you listed my vote would be to get a Kioti DK40HST instead of the DK35HST, way more loader capacity. Another important thing is to sit on the different tractors and try to get a feel for where all the controls are located. Are they in a comfortable place for you to get to each and everyone of them. You need to be comfortable on the tractor, people say that it doesn't matter that you will get use to it,and you will. I say why have to get use to something if there is a certain model or brand where you can sit down and everything is in a natural location for you.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
   / Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #10  
Welcome DMG !
DRIVE each tractor, operating all the controls. Ergonomics may sway you one way or the other. At least it will eliminate a couple of the models. Make sure there are steering brakes (seperate left and right brakes) on whatever you choose, unless lawn mowing is the sole use.